You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

But I really, really, really don't want Pence.

It's amazing how many idiots on the impeachment train don't understand what happens after that...

Is Trump  offering military aid to another country in return for dirt on a political opponent acceptable? Yes or no?

I'd have drawn the line a long time ago but apparently this is how politics works. Presidents have traded aid for things for some time now and survived, so just because you hate the guy it doesn't make this worse assuming it actually happened.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Interesting. Something always rubbed me the wrong way about her too and yeah ... climate change is all too real.

My only worry about Greta is less her or her family. I don't think she's some front for some globalist eco agenda or whatever like some rightwingers speculate - not everything is a conspiracy.

Do worry about her though, it's a lot of attention for a 16 year old to have (kind of in the same way you worry about child tv and pop stars etc) and by her own admission it's ridiculous that she's having to go on a school strike and congress is having her speak in front of them instead of scientists.

Also Id, she's Swedish.

Agreed about fears of the climate crisis movement leading to eco-terrorism. It's borderline already there. They shutdown bridges and trains in London a few months back. On the one hand I get it, in that they want to see some tangible action on this before it's too late, and this stuff is the next step of non-violent protest, but as I pointed out to people by disrupting civil infrastructure you cause deaths due to simple things like ambulances not being able to get to hospitals etc.

If world government's don't do something about it soon it's gonna get worse. Both in terms of activitists' actions and the planet just dying...

What exactly are we supposed to do?  We can't make anyone do anything and we're one of the best in the world.

The issue with the kid is she's a kid.  Brainwashed into being a radical.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'd have drawn the line a long time ago but apparently this is how politics works. Presidents have traded aid for things for some time now and survived, so just because you hate the guy it doesn't make this worse assuming it actually happened.

That's not how "politics works" you're being willfully obtuse in order to ignore the scale of what Trump does. An apologist masquerading as the "everybody does it and they're all bad" guy.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James wrote:

I don't want him impeached. That'll just create the circus to end all circuses.

He just needs to be a one term president.

I disagree. If we don't impeach Trump, then our constitution is meaningless, as is our checks/balances.

Trump's using his stooges to mislead the public about the findings of the Mueller report and to block the House's oversight on the Ukraine thing. Allow this to go unchecked and he'll only continue to abuse power.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's not how "politics works" you're being willfully obtuse in order to ignore the scale of what Trump does. An apologist masquerading as the "everybody does it and they're all bad" guy.

No. Just an honesty the people like you can't handle because your side is just as fucked up and you'll never admit it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Interesting. Something always rubbed me the wrong way about her too and yeah ... climate change is all too real.

My only worry about Greta is less her or her family. I don't think she's some front for some globalist eco agenda or whatever like some rightwingers speculate - not everything is a conspiracy.

Do worry about her though, it's a lot of attention for a 16 year old to have (kind of in the same way you worry about child tv and pop stars etc) and by her own admission it's ridiculous that she's having to go on a school strike and congress is having her speak in front of them instead of scientists.

Also Id, she's Swedish.

Agreed about fears of the climate crisis movement leading to eco-terrorism. It's borderline already there. They shutdown bridges and trains in London a few months back. On the one hand I get it, in that they want to see some tangible action on this before it's too late, and this stuff is the next step of non-violent protest, but as I pointed out to people by disrupting civil infrastructure you cause deaths due to simple things like ambulances not being able to get to hospitals etc.

If world government's don't do something about it soon it's gonna get worse. Both in terms of activitists' actions and the planet just dying...

My bad, yeah, she's Swiss. I once dated a Swiss girl who went to school in France and I kept referring to her as French. I have a long track record with mis-identifying the Swiss 16

She, and the adults in her orbit, are scary. I swear to God she's a few speeches away from calling for full on violence. People are already calling her the new Che Guevara. That's not a good thing.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

How did some kid with Aspergers become the face of climate activism. How is this any different than using the kids from Parkland as a shield from actual discussion.

Can you imagine this with any other issue? Picture some kid with autism yelling about  Iran or immigration. Who the fuck would listen to that, let alone act like their argument is brave or coherent.

Like ID said, the El Paso shooter talked more about climate change than Trump. I can’t take people seriously who think putting children in front of a camera making nonsensical and hysterical arguments is good, intelligent discourse. But it’s clear to me more than ever that intelligence and facts are not the tools wielded by progressives.

Fucking teenagers are their spokesmen.

philia
 Rep: 1 

philia wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

Also Id, she's Swedish.

My bad, yeah, she's Swiss. I once dated a Swiss girl who went to school in France and I kept referring to her as French. I have a long track record with mis-identifying the Swiss 16

Actually Thunberg is from Sweden.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Well we have a president that acts like a child so maybe that’s the right idea.

Besides, no one is listening to the science or the facts, so maybe a kid would work?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

People are already calling her the new Che Guevara.

Jesus wept....

Someone who sails the world in a yacht and flies on private planes is not going to give me advice on how much gas goes into my car.

Board footer