You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Meanwhile we just borrowed $1T to pay for the tax cuts for the rich.

Note the source: Fox News
Deficit.jpg

National Deficit:

Obama's 2nd term average: -11%

Trumps first 2 years: +15%

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I kind of like our current economy. Best ever in my lifetime for sure.

You weren’t alive through the Clinton presidency?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It's not too shabby.....

Now where's the 300 billion to fast track a manned mission to Mars?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

You weren’t alive through the Clinton presidency?

That was a great economy too. But now we have lower interest rates AND employment.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm about 5 times better off than I was in the Clinton era, and I liked Bill for the most part.

I can tell you if you're good at what you do and with unemployment being what it is, it's hard to go too long without a job unless you're not really trying.  That can and will change, but man if you have skills that are valued in the new economy (especially technology), you're golden.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Your personal situation is your reality. I didn’t enter the job market until almost 1997, after graduation and more than halfway through Clinton. Got a job immediately and have had no trouble getting them. Been laid off twice but quickly found work again. Demand for labor is great now, and I actually do some freelance on the side to get some extra cash.

So I’m doing great. Not as well as a few years ago because of my latest lay-off, but comfortable nonetheless. I’m actually considering forming my LLC and starting my own business. It’s scary, but demand for marketing is pretty high now. Maybe you business owners here can give me a pep talk.

That said, the Clinton economy was one of the best in many generations by most standards.

Here are two conservative publications that lay it out, Forbes and Bloomberg.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic … n-carter-s

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonconst … b1d3cf6ea4

I know SG loves his stocks. Clinton is the winner here: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/bu … index.html

The Brookings Institute says much the same. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2 … ic-growth/

There was no better time I remember for the economy than those Clinton years. Not Obama’s, either of the Bushes or Trump. Most indicators support that. Of course, if you’re doing better now, it’s better for you. Nothing can change that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Paul Ryan played Trump like fiddle on that tax deal. No triggers or stipulations, it was meant to blow up the deficit so Medicare and SS would be gutted -- which had been his main goal his entire career.

Trump basically passed a stimulus bill during a healthy economy. What could go wrong?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Your personal situation is your reality.

For sure, and there are factors beyond who is president such as age, career choices, and things like that which impact individual situations far more than politics or economies.  I'm probably slightly older than you, but probably got a later start on my actual career as I was semi-homeless when I should have been in college.  I didn't get my associates degree until I was 40.  I also fully admit that I did better than most would have in my circumstances.  Some of that was luck, some of that was personal choices, some of it was surrounding myself with the right people instead of the wrong ones, but it certainly could have gone the other direction for me too.  There's a reason I am hard on people that don't do things to make their circumstances better, and that's personal experience.  Doesn't mean I'm better than anyone; doesn't mean I am some sort of genius.  I just know from experience that if you make better life choices you can get yourself out of most difficult situations.  Not all.  But most.  People make bad choices without any regard for the consequences, then blame everyone else for their failures and expect the rest of us to bail them out.  Short-term I have no issue with bailing people out; it's the habitual people that make no effort to better their situation I have no regard for.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

My girl Amy kicked ass tonight.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I thought Biden looked the best all things considered, but Fox thinks Warren won the debate and CNN says she lost it, so who knows. I just know a Warren candidacy gets Trump re-elected.

Board footer