You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

I think Bloomberg is the Dem version of Trump.

That said, I've signed three NDAs in the past few months. I write companies' marketing material sometimes before their product even hits the shelves. They don't want it getting out ahead of time.

There's not really a candidate representing me totally right now, as Buzz said. I like that the economy is doing well for me right now. It's not doing well for everyone. Everyone gets a boner about the stock market, but less than 50% of people own any stock outright. (Is that the number I've heard? It's low.) My 401K is doing pretty well, but I lost money in 2018. My taxes went up because of the deductions that were eliminated. I know people can't believe that, but it's true. I actually expect a refund next time around, albeit a small one.

I want better health care. I'm not sure I want the government running it. That said. there are hundreds of thousand of federal employees already on government health care , and I don't hear them complaining all that often.

I work in a homeless shelter on the weekends. These folks need help, and the resources aren't there. Cutting the support even more is dump. Many of them have mental issues. Some of them are teens who get kicked out at 18 because they have problems that prevent them from thriving. One of our clients (we call them clients) actually works as a nurse at a local hospital. Why is she homeless? I can only guess. Bankrupt because of medical expenses is my guess.

My three kids all will be in college in the next 3 years. Tuition is outrageous. It needs to be reformed. How? I don't know. Totally free? Probably not. I have been suggesting to my son that he learn a trade and forget about graduating with tens of thousands in debt. He's smart, and he doesn't want to start life like that.

The climate change is frightening. Whether you think humans are responsible or not, we are going to have to deal with it. Pretending it's a Chinese hoax isn't doing anyone any favors. Our kids are going to see some scary shit when they are retiring. Hell, we all might see some scary shit. There has been a lot written about how the war in Syria is partly stoked by climate issues there.

I haven't posted much in here, but those are some things I think about daily.

Who am I going to vote for in the Dem primary in Illinois? I don't really know, honestly. I've always liked Biden and I think he's being unfairly bashed. He's been terrible, yes, but Bernie is just as old, just as white, and just as cringe-producing in my book. I dunno. Not Bloomberg though. That guy sucks.

Cheers!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Since the tone of the thread is much - more civil - than it has been historically, I think I'm ready to actively participate on a limited basis until that changes.  First point - welcome back mitch...not convinced you were ever really gone, but if you were, it's good to have your point of view voiced again.  It was a bit one sided in here without you.

Thanks for the shout out...I did need to go get treatment for something that I now know is a real thing....Trump derangement syndrome....

While I still feel all the things that I've actively expressed, I've learned to deal with those not so great feelings in a somewhat more positive way. I have taken an active approach to this...and I truly admit that this is a real thing.

I feel like I see through him. I see no inspiration in him and I felt like (still do)  I'm in a sea of people who do see something. I don't see it. He is the antithesis of who I am and who I want to be.

If you actually got treatment, kudos!!!  It was clear you weren't happy but even more clear that you weren't in a healthy place. 

The problem a lot of people make is that they follow the Sith way of thinking...if you're not 100% against Trump, you're the enemy.  Life doesn't work that way.  Trump has a shit ton of faults.  There's really no need to bring them all up.  We all know (most of) them.  Some people are willing to overlook them for a variety of reasons whether that is the strength of the economy, the corruption throughout politics, etc...it's different things for different people.  Doesn't mean we like everything he does.  Doesn't mean we're racist, misogynist, or any -ist people want to label people that don't hate Trump. 

In my case, I did not and will not vote for Trump.  To some, that's not enough and I am labeled a Trump supporter.  To me everyone gets one vote to use however they please.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I would LOVE to have heard that conversation.

I had a lot more of that when I lived in Knoxville. It takes some courage to knock on doors, and you know they get yelled at a lot. Good on you for talking to her, buzz.

It wasn't that exciting. I'll talk to anyone if they are interested in having a discussion. I don't disagree with her that the system is broken...we spent a bit of time talking about that; what I don't know is that her guy is the solution. I'm not voting in either primary, but I promised her that if Pete won the nomination I will do my homework on him.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You see all these things I’m doing here that could be embarrassing if they went public or maybe these things are illegal....

Here sign this NDA and you can’t tell anyone. Shhhhhhh

I was talking to an employee about a job (at our company) and had to stop talking to him because he had signed a NDA with the company.  Turns out it was related to a retention bonus he was paid, but there are non-nefarious reasons people have signed NDAs before.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I think Bloomberg is the Dem version of Trump.

That said, I've signed three NDAs in the past few months. I write companies' marketing material sometimes before their product even hits the shelves. They don't want it getting out ahead of time.

There's not really a candidate representing me totally right now, as Buzz said. I like that the economy is doing well for me right now. It's not doing well for everyone. Everyone gets a boner about the stock market, but less than 50% of people own any stock outright. (Is that the number I've heard? It's low.) My 401K is doing pretty well, but I lost money in 2018. My taxes went up because of the deductions that were eliminated. I know people can't believe that, but it's true. I actually expect a refund next time around, albeit a small one.

I want better health care. I'm not sure I want the government running it. That said. there are hundreds of thousand of federal employees already on government health care , and I don't hear them complaining all that often.

I had better healthcare.  Then Obamacare was forced through.  I don't know enough about what government healthcare is for most employees, but I believe the politicians are on much better plans than any of us are. 

I work in a homeless shelter on the weekends. These folks need help, and the resources aren't there. Cutting the support even more is dump. Many of them have mental issues. Some of them are teens who get kicked out at 18 because they have problems that prevent them from thriving. One of our clients (we call them clients) actually works as a nurse at a local hospital. Why is she homeless? I can only guess. Bankrupt because of medical expenses is my guess.

I got kicked out of the house at 18.  I was homeless.  I never went to a shelter though I did have different friends that would let me crash on a couch from time to time.  I had a surgery when I was 20 with crap insurance and went 30K in debt. I was homeless and bankrupt.  I had a job paying me $10/hr (which was pretty good at that point), but couldn't pay my bills.  The first step towards recovery was getting somewhere to live.  We have to get these people somewhere to live so they can start towards a better life and we have to come up with a viable solution so others aren't taking their place as we find homes for them.

Now people talk about California being this great economy (5th biggest in the world or whatever) and they are a heavily Democratic state...why do they have such a homelessness problem?  I really don't know the answer. Yes, property is expensive, but the economy there is so good, so where is the disconnect?

My three kids all will be in college in the next 3 years. Tuition is outrageous. It needs to be reformed. How? I don't know. Totally free? Probably not. I have been suggesting to my son that he learn a trade and forget about graduating with tens of thousands in debt. He's smart, and he doesn't want to start life like that.

The climate change is frightening. Whether you think humans are responsible or not, we are going to have to deal with it. Pretending it's a Chinese hoax isn't doing anyone any favors. Our kids are going to see some scary shit when they are retiring. Hell, we all might see some scary shit. There has been a lot written about how the war in Syria is partly stoked by climate issues there.

I haven't posted much in here, but those are some things I think about daily.

Who am I going to vote for in the Dem primary in Illinois? I don't really know, honestly. I've always liked Biden and I think he's being unfairly bashed. He's been terrible, yes, but Bernie is just as old, just as white, and just as cringe-producing in my book. I dunno. Not Bloomberg though. That guy sucks.

Cheers!

The last part about the candidates sums up the problems...if they all suck (including Trump), what the fuck are we supposed to do?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Buenos Dias!  Bombshell news today.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Blonde or otherwise?

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

Can you link the story?  Nothing is a headline on any credible site that I see.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Since the tone of the thread is much - more civil - than it has been historically, I think I'm ready to actively participate on a limited basis until that changes.  First point - welcome back mitch...not convinced you were ever really gone, but if you were, it's good to have your point of view voiced again.  It was a bit one sided in here without you.

Thanks for the shout out...I did need to go get treatment for something that I now know is a real thing....Trump derangement syndrome....

While I still feel all the things that I've actively expressed, I've learned to deal with those not so great feelings in a somewhat more positive way. I have taken an active approach to this...and I truly admit that this is a real thing.

I feel like I see through him. I see no inspiration in him and I felt like (still do)  I'm in a sea of people who do see something. I don't see it. He is the antithesis of who I am and who I want to be.

If you actually got treatment, kudos!!!  It was clear you weren't happy but even more clear that you weren't in a healthy place. 

The problem a lot of people make is that they follow the Sith way of thinking...if you're not 100% against Trump, you're the enemy.  Life doesn't work that way.  Trump has a shit ton of faults.  There's really no need to bring them all up.  We all know (most of) them.  Some people are willing to overlook them for a variety of reasons whether that is the strength of the economy, the corruption throughout politics, etc...it's different things for different people.  Doesn't mean we like everything he does.  Doesn't mean we're racist, misogynist, or any -ist people want to label people that don't hate Trump. 

In my case, I did not and will not vote for Trump.  To some, that's not enough and I am labeled a Trump supporter.  To me everyone gets one vote to use however they please.

It was a two fold treatment...both self imposed...

First, I stopped clicking, reading and breathing all things Trump. I no longer read or listen to any stories or news that directly pertains to him. I've made up my mind about him. I can't stand the way he talks. The way he moves. The stupid distraction techniques he uses...blah blah blah...

The second part was...I had a son. Or rather...my wife had a son...I just helped some. Less time to focus on Trump.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Can you link the story?  Nothing is a headline on any credible site that I see.

Didnt Natl Security inform House Intel Comittee Russia is interfering in 2020 election already. Trump was livid as Schiff was present. Fired DNI & replaced with Trumptard supported with no Intel experience and past has been spokesperson & communications.

You're right tho, just another day.

Board footer