You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This is you wanting to make it about why we got into Iraq.

Go back and look...Irish asked specifically about Iraq and trusting the government. It has nothing to do with you.

Go back and look at the conversation I was having with Irish.  Tell me where I said anything to him about why we got into Iraq.  I'll be waiting...

Why does it matter...you can dismiss it mattering or not...the conversation was flowing in several direction. You can think that it doesn’t matter all you want. I do think it matters in the context of Irish’ original question.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Go back and look...Irish asked specifically about Iraq and trusting the government. It has nothing to do with you.

Go back and look at the conversation I was having with Irish.  Tell me where I said anything to him about why we got into Iraq.  I'll be waiting...

Why does it matter...you can dismiss it mattering or not...the conversation was flowing in several direction. You can think that it doesn’t matter all you want. I do think it matters in the context of Irish’ original question.

It matters because I don't have to have the discussion you want me to have mitch.  I'm the "isolationist" as I believe you bitched about me being that's all for being out of all of those messes, so I'm certainly not interested in engaging in a discussion about why we are somewhere that we've been off and on for 30 years.  We're there.  If you want to discuss how to get out, GREAT, let's have that discussion.  If you want to cry about a Bush, do that with your therapist.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It matters because I don't have to have the discussion you want me to have mitch.  I'm the "isolationist" as I believe you bitched about me being that's all for being out of all of those messes, so I'm certainly not interested in engaging in a discussion about why we are somewhere that we've been off and on for 30 years.  We're there.  If you want to discuss how to get out, GREAT, let's have that discussion.  If you want to cry about a Bush, do that with your therapist.

This is the first Bush is being mentioned. Again, the context was people trusting the government. I took that to mean understanding how we got here, in addition to solutions to figuring it out.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

This is the first Bush is being mentioned. Again, the context was people trusting the government. I took that to mean understanding how we got here, in addition to solutions to figuring it out.

So even though I said (and I quote)...:

Regardless of why we were in the Middle East, just leaving wasn't an option.  Obama wanted to do it and knew he couldn't.

...you took that to mean I wanted to talk about how we got there?  Do you see why we have a problem mitch?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Not only do you do this over and over, you then go out of your way for 3 pages to justify your actions.  Just stop.  The question isn't did you do it.  You did.  The question is can you stop doing it so I don't have to keep telling you...

...have a nice day mitch.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So even though I said (and I quote)...:

Regardless of why we were in the Middle East, just leaving wasn't an option.  Obama wanted to do it and knew he couldn't.

...you took that to mean I wanted to talk about how we got there?  Do you see why we have a problem mitch?

No...it’s me saying what i feel like saying. I don’t have to accept your premise. You do not get to dictate where the conversation does and doesn’t go.

Why doe it not matter how we got here?

I’m not justifying anything. In my eyes I’ve done nothing wrong except not allow you to dictate the conversation.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

You don’t get to dictate what conversation others have. Irish asked when did Americans start to distrust their government/become so partisan, and offered Iraq as a possible start date.  He’s not American, so he can be forgiven for not intimately knowing the 1990s (or any decade before that, since any would qualify) and immediately understanding that Americans believe all kinds of crazy shit and can point to virtually any event as some catastrophe. I don’t think we’re unique in this regard, but the world’s media isn’t pointing a spotlight and broadcasting dissent in any other nation like the US. So our shit gets a lot more focused attention and limited context than their own internal strife. Be honest, do you even know who the president of Ireland is?

No one here is interested in arguing about the justification of the war. It’s been over for 9 years. You’re free to post about it, but you don’t get to demand everyone change the topic and participate with you because you want to create an argument about Iraq. You’re free to believe Americans didn’t hold any animosity towards the truthfulness of their government until March 2003.

What really happened is you entered a thread uninformed, parroting some talking point you saw on social media. It was objectively wrong on its face, and really had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

You repeatedly and exclusively manufacture arguments so you can try to toss strikes and knock over all the pins. Rarely do your posts even attempt to acknowledge what the poster you’re replying to said, let alone respond to what they said. And when pressed to provide a citation for one of your wild claims (like Neo Nazis having anything to do with the riots that occurred last weekend), you ignore the request or link something you clearly didn’t read that doesn’t support your point.

Example:

Poster 1 :”these far left antifa types need to be held accountable for their actions.”

Mitch: “I don’t even know what antifa is, but these neo Nazi boogaloo boys are out threatening to kill people in Chicago”

Poster 1: “after researching the boogaloos boys, I find information that says they haven’t participated in any violence, and aren’t neo nazis. They seem to be very close to antifa”

Mitch: “you don’t even know what antifa is, but I do. I’m going to completely ignore the mounds of evidence of antifa’s violence and not mention them. But this is definitely neo nazis and you need to acknowledge that. Please defend neo nazis to make this easy.”

Poster 1: “Can you provide any evidence the boogaloo boys are neo nazis or members of the violent protests last weekend?  It was clearly antifa. Did you even read the articles that contradict your view?”

Mitch: “Here’s a graph my nephew made of the atmospheric pressure on Mars relative to the amount of racial attacks my sister graphed based on a 20 sided die she rolled. How can you not see this is Neo Nazis!”

Poster 1: “....”

Mitch: “why won’t you guys play with me”

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You don’t get to dictate what conversation others have. Irish asked when did Americans start to distrust their government/become so partisan, and offered Iraq as a possible start date.  He’s not American, so he can be forgiven for not intimately knowing the 1990s (or any decade before that, since any would qualify) and immediately understanding that Americans believe all kinds of crazy shit and can point to virtually any event as some catastrophe. I don’t think we’re unique in this regard, but the world’s media isn’t pointing a spotlight and broadcasting dissent in any other nation like the US. So our shit gets a lot more focused attention and limited context than their own internal strife. Be honest, do you even know who the president of Ireland is?

No one here is interested in arguing about the justification of the war. It’s been over for 9 years. You’re free to post about it, but you don’t get to demand everyone change the topic and participate with you because you want to create an argument about Iraq. You’re free to believe Americans didn’t hold any animosity towards the truthfulness of their government until March 2003.

What really happened is you entered a thread uninformed, parroting some talking point you saw on social media. It was objectively wrong on its face, and really had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

You repeatedly and exclusively manufacture arguments so you can try to toss strikes and knock over all the pins. Rarely do your posts even attempt to acknowledge what the poster you’re replying to said, let alone respond to what they said. And when pressed to provide a citation for one of your wild claims (like Neo Nazis having anything to do with the riots that occurred last weekend), you ignore the request or link something you clearly didn’t read that doesn’t support your point.

Example:

Poster 1 :”these far left antifa types need to be held accountable for their actions.”

Mitch: “I don’t even know what antifa is, but these neo Nazi boogaloo boys are out threatening to kill people in Chicago”

Poster 1: “after researching the boogaloos boys, I find information that says they haven’t participated in any violence, and aren’t neo nazis. They seem to be very close to antifa”

Mitch: “you don’t even know what antifa is, but I do. I’m going to completely ignore the mounds of evidence of antifa’s violence and not mention them. But this is definitely neo nazis and you need to acknowledge that. Please defend neo nazis to make this easy.”

Poster 1: “Can you provide any evidence the boogaloo boys are neo nazis or members of the violent protests last weekend?  It was clearly antifa. Did you even read the articles that contradict your view?”

Mitch: “Here’s a graph my nephew made of the atmospheric pressure on Mars relative to the amount of racial attacks my sister graphed based on a 20 sided die she rolled. How can you not see this is Neo Nazis!”

Poster 1: “....”

Mitch: “why won’t you guys play with me”

That’s fine if that’s how you interpreted my posts but in this case i asked the original poster if i had misinterpreted his original question...i don’t know what else you want from me. I have him a chance to tell me if i has made any sort of mistakes in interpreting his OP. He expressed that i had not.

Never did i mention any individuals like Bush or any political parties. I think you’re being too sensitive here. Tons of Democrats voted to go to war too. They’re complicit too. Many of them are not around anymore in Congress because of it.

That’s beside the point...the point is you’re the one expressing you don’t like what i did. You don’t know how hard i try to follow the rules and be civil...i refuse to be pushed out of the conversation because you don’t like my point.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

That’s fine if that’s how you interpreted my posts but in this case i asked the original poster if i had misinterpreted his original question...i don’t know what else you want from me. I have him a chance to tell me if i has made any sort of mistakes in interpreting his OP. He expressed that i had not.

You weren't responding to his original question mitch.  You were responding to my post that had nothing to do with you and very little to do with the original question. 

Why do you not understand how obtuse you are?  You try to change the discussion, argue for 3 pages that you didn't, and when forced to see you did, you changed it to the you were just answering the original question and not the one you actually replied to like you're just getting beaten on for nothing.  No, you're getting beaten on for doing what you always do.

This is exactly what you do.  Stop.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Do you not think Trumps presidency is a symptom of the mainstream left having already headed too far left more most people?

Disagree.  How is the US headed too far left?  What policies have been enacted that leads to this conclusion?  Obama governed as a moderate. 

Trump won because Hiliary took the midwest and PA for granted.  If you want to be totally honest, he represents a minority of the worst that this country has to offer.

Board footer