You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: US Politics Thread

bigbri wrote:

I was just looking this up to verify: It's where you are a resident.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

You can’t vote in multiple states or places. Being registered isn’t the same as voting. If anything, this article is a great example of why we should be like every other first world nation and have controls over elections.  Democrats fight for laws that keep people registered in multiple places, rather than policing them up.

Yeah, New Yorkers can't vote in New York and Florida even if you live in both places.

I live near Georgia so I get a lot of their campaign ads, and all I have to say is... Rgughtffjm! Makes me glad I live in TN, and we have Marsha Blackburn. There must be a rule that you have to shoot an AR-15 and call yourself, not a republican, not a conservative, but a "Trump conservative."

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I’m reading some tweets saying that some business(s) receive3 $500,000,000,000 in forgivable loans from the government and they are refusing to disclose who...

Is anyone else hearing this?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I saw a tweet about $500 billion. I assumed it was all businesses combined or something. Did not know they werent saying who ut was. I cant imagine any 1 company is getting that much.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

They're just trying to cover their asses better this time.  They don't want stuff like the LA Lakers getting a loan getting out again for bad PR.  And if this is taxpayer money, this stuff shouldn't be secret anyway.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I saw a tweet about $500 billion. I assumed it was all businesses combined or something. Did not know they werent saying who ut was. I cant imagine any 1 company is getting that much.

oh yea...I added too many zeros. I'm gonna guess that any time there's a refusal to share this information that something is f'd up.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

They're just trying to cover their asses better this time.  They don't want stuff like the LA Lakers getting a loan getting out again for bad PR.  And if this is taxpayer money, this stuff shouldn't be secret anyway.

Yea...that makes sense. I thought most companies who did get a loan were public knowledge.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I started to post this in the other thread, but it's too political, so I am moving it here...

I will say this though: I don't want to hear the Democrats using this (systematic racism/police racism) as a rallying cry for the election.  They had 8 years to do something about this - and there were plenty of incidents over those 8 years - and they did nothing about it.  If they want to sit down and start the very difficult conversations that need to be had (including admitting that they haven't tackled the issues either), I'd be all for that.  That's not how things are going to go down though and we all know it.

There are many people out there that believe the Democrats don't care about minorities except for in an election year, then nothing ever changes.  My view has been the Democrats want to bring more people down from the middle-class and into the ranks of the poor because they think it's going to increase their voting pool.  At some point aren't people going to figure out that they've done nothing for them?  We know the Republicans don't really care about the poor - this is well documented; why is there this misconception that the Democrats do care beyond just creating more of them?

The Democrats have used social issues to rally people to their side in spite of the fact that they've done nothing to help the people on their side.  They are okay with you being whatever you want to be as long as you vote their way - essentially we'll support anything the Republicans are against so you'll vote for us.  I said this at the beginning of the last thread on this and I've said it over and over since then...the Republicans would never lose an election if they could stay out of people's personal lives and the Democrats would never lose if they could figure out a workable way to pay for this dream world they have.  So far, neither is possible, so we swing back and forth and as one side fucks things up, we switch to the other side until they fuck things up.  They get rich, we keep gaining nothing, and the wheel keeps spinning.

That's how we got Trump.  That's how we'll get another Trump in another decade or so.  The swamp needs to be drained...Trump was right.  Draining it is proving way harder than he imagined though.  Deep, DEEP wealth has both parties by the balls.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

101881148_255898702521418_1623365625712363521_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=17ydtwkbUw8AX-jr6ZI&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc3-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=435604b6a21b62d2e25b716dc83de918&oe=5F09BCAC

I think this image kind of sums it up.  This person feels she's doing something comparable to a relative who dodged bullets and suffered for months/years in a combat zone.  It's completely absurd, but a lot of people have deluded themselves into thinking they're on the front lines of some battle against good and evil.  They're just conveniently allowed to escape unscathed and grab a Starbucks on their way home to order Grubhub. 

These people aren't unique, I know plenty of idiots who fantasize about another American Revolution every time a politician brings up gun control.  My issue is with the media pushing the narrative that these bored millenials are actually doing something, other than making a lot of noise and a big mess.  Police aren't going to be defunded.  Court systems aren't going to be dismantled.  And police officers are never going to be expected to sacrifice their safety/lives so a violent criminal can live to see another day.  It's an absurd proposition that no rational person would propose.  Yet these are exactly what's being demanded by every protest group in every major city. 

The desire to punish bad police, which I completely support, is going to have consequences.  Remove the police union, and you have to ask why not the teacher's union, or any public union that prevents bad actors from being removed.  True, teachers aren't be accused of excessive force, but if your argument is "Bad teachers shouldn't be removed and should continue to have union protection because they don't kill people", that's not much of an argument. 

Because people are so comfortable, safer and informed more so than at any other point in human history, they need to invent drama to add meaning to what they perceive as uneventful lives.  Fighting against "racism" is a badge of honor that allows people to feel good about themselves without actually doing anything.  If you think the riots and protests are what led to the 4 officers being charged with 2nd degree murder, we're not living the same reality. 

CNN, The Post, Times and every other left leaning outlet condemned Americans who participated in memorial day celebrations, calling them a danger to the rest of us and irresponsible in the current COVID climate.  They said the same thing in April when hundreds protested lock down orders.  Days later, when thousands marched (and rioted) for George Floyd, these same talking heads who had condemned people for grilling out with their family, were now championing people who huddled into huge masses.  Very few people are capable of actual, continued intelligent thought, and even fewer are capable of articulating those ideas based on objective truths. 

Any discussion of observed differences in demographic groups is immediately derided as racist.  This happened yesterday when an Ohio state Senator inquired if the disparity in covid-19 infections among ethnicities may be due to different behavior - ignoring social distancing guidelines and CDC advice on mask use and hand washing.  The question was immediately decried as "racist", despite clear evidence that something was occurring to make black and hispanic populations contract the virus more than other demographics.  That something can't be linked to racism or genetics, so it has to be behavior based.  But any discussion of behavior is prohibited, and anyone who breaks the rule is immediately labeled a racist by people with strong emotional feelings.

So long as we allow people to prohibit discussion, and refuse to consider other narratives other than what mainstream media and social media have already determined to be  correct, nothing changes.  I said it earlier, Democrats who share a stage with Sharpton or Farrakhan don't get to talk about racism.  You can't stand on stage with the leader of the largest hate group in America, and pretend to have moral superiority.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

They already have destroyed unions in Wisconsin...that is the republican strategy...much of what Trump is doing was already done in Wisconsin. Bought off Supreme Court that is totally political and proud of it.

That’s fine if you think Democrats do nothing. I’m can’t point to one thing a republican at the state or federal level has ever done for me.

The republicans will destroy the middle class on a moments notice or they can get more tax cuts for the rich. It’s obvious where free market capitalism end up. Monopolies. Everything consolidates into one massive company that a handful of people run and benefit from while the masses are pawns in a race to minimum wage and maximum hours.

Trump is the embodiment of a republican. Born on third base...stays on third base...pats himself on the back.

The comments on racism are absurd.

Board footer