You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: US Politics Thread

James wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

The irony of that meme, James, is that Trump now wants to basically keep Obamacare. See he can't just keep the good parts, like preexisting conditions, without being able to pay for it without the federal mandate: making everyone purchase healthcare or be fined. Or else everyone would only get healthcare when they really needed it. He can say repeal and replace all he wants, but those two things ARE Obamacare.

He's in a great position. He can go back on some promises, tweak the others, and be in the perfect position for his reelection campaign.

Does he have to bring all the factory jobs back? Nope. Just bring enough to the rust belt to get all those same voters.

Trump is going to do what Trump always does. He'll tweak Obamacare, then stamp his name on it (rebranding) and call it a success.

"20 million have health insurance because of ME. Children can stay on their parent's plan until they are 26 because of ME. Insurance companies can no longer deny you for pre-existing conditions because of ME."

Wait and see.

remember how obama was going to do something about student loans? Trump's already on the verge of doing it and hasn't even been inaugurated yet. At some point all these people protesting are gonna need to start smelling the coffee and see that he's at least trying to do something.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra … debt-plan/

Are you seriously going to criticize that? THis was an issue many liberals were passionate about and if they bitch and moan about it because its Trump getting something done, it reveals their true colors.

Trump just handed all power to the establishment Republicans. So much for the cheering for the outsider anti establishment! Trump backers are already crying betrayal, that he didn't drain the swamp but gave control to the head alligator in Preibus.  I'd laugh but this is going to hurt a lot of people.

I will be disappointed if he brings in all the neocons but you cant possibly be surprised he's bringing in DC to help run the government. Reagan wanted a bunch of outsiders as well until he found out you cant run DC without DC.

Obama was supposed to do the same thing but I don't remember any bitching when he stuck to politics as usual. YOu need to hold people to the same standard.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

The irony of that meme, James, is that Trump now wants to basically keep Obamacare. See he can't just keep the good parts, like preexisting conditions, without being able to pay for it without the federal mandate: making everyone purchase healthcare or be fined. Or else everyone would only get healthcare when they really needed it. He can say repeal and replace all he wants, but those two things ARE Obamacare.

He's in a great position. He can go back on some promises, tweak the others, and be in the perfect position for his reelection campaign.

Does he have to bring all the factory jobs back? Nope. Just bring enough to the rust belt to get all those same voters.

Trump is going to do what Trump always does. He'll tweak Obamacare, then stamp his name on it (rebranding) and call it a success.

"20 million have health insurance because of ME. Children can stay on their parent's plan until they are 26 because of ME. Insurance companies can no longer deny you for pre-existing conditions because of ME."

Wait and see.

remember how obama was going to do something about student loans? Trump's already on the verge of doing it and hasn't even been inaugurated yet. At some point all these people protesting are gonna need to start smelling the coffee and see that he's at least trying to do something.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra … debt-plan/

Are you seriously going to criticize that? THis was an issue many liberals were passionate about and if they bitch and moan about it because its Trump getting something done, it reveals their true colors.

Trump just handed all power to the establishment Republicans. So much for the cheering for the outsider anti establishment! Trump backers are already crying betrayal, that he didn't drain the swamp but gave control to the head alligator in Preibus.  I'd laugh but this is going to hurt a lot of people.

I will be disappointed if he brings in all the neocons but you cant possibly be surprised he's bringing in DC to help run the government. Reagan wanted a bunch of outsiders as well until he found out you cant run DC without DC.

Obama was supposed to do the same thing but I don't remember any bitching when he stuck to politics as usual. YOu need to hold people to the same standard.

It's not about holding people to the same standard. Obama never brought in a person who has been salivating over attacking Medicare and at the same time make an antisemitic, anti Catholic hate mongering professional Goldman Sachs liar and conspiracy nut as the people that will be leading this country, and neither did Reagan.

There is no lesser of two evils here. That's the problem.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm jumping off the tranny merry go round. We're running in circles obviously and no one is interested in seeing it....especially in a thread discussing the presidential transition and the coming inauguration.

Followed by another megapost. If you want to just park this that's  fine, all you gotta say is "agree to disagree", not cap off your last words on the subject with BS.

A simple statement regarding tranny bathrooms in a post about the overall culture shift approaching was not meant to send up a tranny batman signal that is in need of posting dissertations on the subject. Besides, there's no point in debating someone on the issue who thinks forcing little boys to wear dresses to school is sunshine and lollipops and is a step in the right direction. Its basically advocating the bottom to completely drop into an abyss. 99.9% of society disagrees (including me obviously) with that and if you don't agree(obviously you don't), just stay tuned to how things play out.

- I didn't start the long posts. I started out with short questions directed at you & Flagg
- Quote me on where I said kids should be forced to wear clothes they don't want to.
- Fuck off with the condescending "stay tuned" bullshit

Its a subject you are extremely passionate about and your efforts to mainstream it and talk people into accepting it would be better spent somewhere that is not an off topic section of a Guns N' Roses community.

I did get a minor chuckle out of you saying straight people have a "fucking sense of entitlement".

I have a good amount of LGBT friends, that's why I care about this stuff. I don't tell them to cool it with the "butch" stuff because I'm not an asshole.

I will comment on a couple of your other points made....

I never told her to stay in the closet. She's a very intelligent young woman who had much to offer. Was interested in film at a very young age and when taking her to movies, she'd like to discuss things like the cinematography, editing, etc. When she went off to college she had plans to go in this direction. Instead, she went for gender studies which is one of the most worthless degrees you can possibly get and she allowed her homosexuality to basically dominate her entire being....then add in all the SJW stuff as the cherry on top. She allowed it to consume her life and she's selling herself(and her future) short. Obviously you don't know her personally but I don't see how it can be a good thing for someone with such potential to not be able to look past her own gayness. Personally I think there's a huge element of self loathing involved under the surface and it manifests itself in this incessant need to talk about this stuff 24/7. Having said that, I am not a psychiatrist obviously.

We'll park this cause it's your family and ultimately you know 'em best. Will take your word for it that you never said that, or didn't mean to say that if you did. But, if you genuinely think there's a  huge element of self-loathing where do you think that shit starts. It starts when people are told that "God hates fags", "your sexuality is just a fetish", "your kind shouldn't be in mainstream media" etc. If you're told nonstop by society you're not ok for decades, you're not going to be ok.

Someone's sexuality cannot be equated with a fetish.

I disagree strongly and so would most of the women I've been with. 15 Fetishes(of any variety) play a huge role in someones sexuality.  A boy/guy wearing dresses can also be considered a fetish and we're well aware of how you feel about that yet will minimize a straight guy's fetish.

When it comes to sexuality, whether someone is straight, gay or bi, I don't think that counts as a fetish. That's just a determining of what genders they are attracted to, it's like the initial baseline of everyone's sexual preference.

When it comes to men wearing women's clothing and women dressing more manly, and identifying themselves as male or female. It's not about sex. It's about identity. They identify as the gender of the sex opposite to what they are born as. Reason being is society does pigeon hole how you should behave and act depending on what's between your legs.

But here's the thing perhaps if there area  sizeable set of people with foot fetishes it should appear in pop culture without being a joke in an appropriate setting

I disagree and this is coming from someone who would benefit from it going mainstream. Something in the minority(and there are more people with foot fetishes than trannies and/or crossdressers) does not need to be pushed as if it caters to the majority. Under no circumstances would I think that a majority of Americans should be bombarded with this stuff. I don't have a sense of entitlement wink and/or think my own interest is the norm. To push it as such would be bat shit crazy.

Didn't say it should go "mainstream", just that the the representation should be balanced. A character liking feet should be a thing in some show or film at some point without it being a joke. Same with gays, bis, lesbians and trans people.

Anyway, you are right, this is probably not the thread to continue this in. If you wanna reply, open a new thread. Otherwise we can just agree to disagree.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Sources close to Linda McMahon and President-elect Drumpf's transition team confirm the former Senate candidate is one name under consideration to become Secretary of Commerce in the new Drumpf administration.
There has been much speculation over who Drumpf will chose for his administration since the election.
Drumpf announced his transition team on Friday. That team will not necessarily carry over into the Drumpf administration — though members of past transition teams often have. Instead, they are in charge of putting together hiring recommendations, working with outgoing appointees and laying the groundwork for administration's opening months.
McMahon, a former World Wrestling Entertainment executive and two-time U.S. Senate candidate has been involved in campaigns across the country, including the presidential election. She hosted an event for New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who was her top choice in the Republican primary, then threw her support behind Drumpf, a longtime friend.
Besides attending the Republican National Convention, she's been a frequent guest at fundraisers for federal candidates, rubbing elbows with top GOP leaders like House Speaker Paul Ryan. This election she was considered a Republican mega donor.
McMahon served on the Connecticut Board of Education starting in 2009 for just over a year before resigning when a new legal opinion by state elections officials restricted political activities by board members.
McMahon ran for a U.S. Senate seat in the 2010 general election and lost to Democrat Richard Blumenthal. McMahon spent $50 million of her own money, more than any other candidate in that election, and secured 44 percent of the vote, while Blumenthal spent $8.7 million, $2.5 million of which was his own money, and secured 54 percent of the vote.
She was the 2012 Republican nominee for Connecticut’s other senate seat to replace retiring Sen. Joe Lieberman but lost again, this time to Democratic Representative Chris Murphy.
McMahon lives in Greenwich with her husband, WWE executive Vince McMahon.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loca … 08686.html

We're going to defeat the establishment, and then I will give jobs to my wealthy friends

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
johndivney wrote:

At least 2/5(6?) of GnR voted Trump.
Duff, obviously, because he's spineless & a rich bastard & Melissa because she's a white woman.
Axl's a maybe. But he's a hick so I wouldn't be surprised.
Slash & Frank are black so they didn't bother voting.
Dizzy..?? Probably a Gary Johnson guy..

Inb4 someone says Melissa isn't white/frank's Latino.

Hahaha funny shit there, mate.

AtariLegend wrote:

Their was a story awhile back that Axl's hated Trump for years so it shouldn't be a surprise and apart from that he's suggested he leaned democrat a few times over the years.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Who the fuck cares what members of Guns N' Roses think about politics. Duff is the only one of them who has any kind of education, and none of their opinions are any more qualified than the general electorate.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Well, this is a GN'R message board so I thought it was pertinent. Axl seems very sensitive to Latino discrimination also. And he's done pretty well with his lacking education... Thought you might like this:

McKagan’s second column stayed politically neutral, providing simplified definitions of subprime loans and adjustable-rate mortgages. This week’s article, however, has taken a decidedly political turn, praising the Clinton Administration, backing President Obama’s preferred stimulus plan as a modern version of Roosevelt’s New Deal, and blaming 8 years of Republican leadership for the current U.S. crisis.

“Let’s take a gander at some recent economic history,” writes McKagan, the bassist of Velvet Revolver. “When Clinton left office in January 2001, we had (according to CNN) a budget surplus of $230 billion. Also, our unemployment rate was at 3.9 percent according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics. When Bush left office, we had a $410 billion deficit (according to the Associated Press) and our unemployment was at 7.2 percent. Hmmm.”

McKagan goes on to criticize Republicans who say Roosevelt’s policies were failures and that President Obama’s new plan too closely resembles it, by describing how his own family benefited from the New Deal. “Bullsh*t is what I say!” McKagan writes in “Stimulate This!.” “Maybe it wasn’t a fast elevator ride out of a hole, but it was a focused and upward movement out of the Great Depression. My grandfather Jon Harrington, an immigrant from Ireland who had fought in World War I as a new American, finally found work through the New Deal.”

Obama's election.
"We are at a time in history that the political 'center' has perhaps shifted towards the left. We are not Europe, but tipping our hat to them for helping to shine a light on thinking and acting globally is what we are now doing. Government doesn't have to step in for everything, but health care issues and Wall Street's overindulgence need some sort of tough Big Brother. I think Europe and the rest of the world are breathing a sigh of relief at the simple fact that we didn't elect an outdated antique and his scary, hapless sidekick. With our political 'center' being re-aligned, we will now hopefully be seeing the end of days (pun intended) to our freaky evangelical right and the Republicans' shameless kowtowing to them and their ilk. I try not to live in fear and/or voice bad thoughts or intentions. Hear me now though; whatever happens, Sarah Palin's political career should come to an end. She is straight-up dangerous. Enough said about that."

He is the most educated after all. 16

I am curious what he'll say about this debacle.

misterID

misterID wrote:

I have no idea what to think about Trump. He fills his cabinet with right wing extremists and establishment phonies. But he says this, basically everything he said to get elected he's back tracking.

CNN.com

Trump to supporters harassing minorities: 'Stop it'
Eric Bradner
By Eric Bradner, CNN
Updated 10:23 PM ET, Sun November 13, 2016

Trump to supporters harassing minorities: 'Stop it'

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump on Sunday told his supporters to stop harassing minorities, in his first televised sit-down interview since becoming President-elect.

"I am so saddened to hear that," Trump told CBS' Lesley Stahl on "60 Minutes" when she said Latinos and Muslims are facing harassment. "And I say, 'Stop it.' If it -- if it helps, I will say this, and I will say right to the cameras: 'Stop it.'"

Trump directed his comments to his own supporters whom Stahl said have written racist slogans or chanted degrading messages -- particularly in schools. It was a powerful appeal to a nation ripped apart by the divisive 2016 campaign. Trump's election has left Democrats angry and many minorities fearful about the future.
Yet Trump also criticized the protests that have broken out in cities across the United States since his defeat of Hillary Clinton on Tuesday.

Trump said he's seen "a very small amount" -- including "one or two instances" -- of racial slurs being directed at minorities, particularly in largely white schools, since his election.

"I would say don't do it, that's terrible, because I'm going to bring this country together," Trump said.

As for anti-Trump protests, Trump said, "I think it's horrible if that's happening. I think it's built up by the press because, frankly, they'll take every single little incident that they can find in this country, which could've been there before. If I weren't even around doing this, and they'll make into an event because that's the way the press is."
Here are six topics Trump addressed the interview:

FBI review
In the wide-ranging interview Trump also said he's still deciding whether to ask FBI Director James Comey for his resignation.
Trump demurred when asked about his plans for Comey -- whose decision to end the investigation into Hillary Clinton's private email server was widely panned by Republicans.

"I think that I would rather not comment on that yet," Trump said. "I haven't made up my mind. I respect him a lot. I respect the FBI a lot. ... There's been a lot of leaking, there's no question about that. But I would certainly like to talk to him."

He admitted he isn't sure about Comey's future. "I'd want to see, you know, he may have had very good reasons for doing what he did," Trump said. Comey has more than six years to go in his ten-year term.

Trump also balked when asked whether he'd carry out his campaign pledge to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clinton.
He said Clinton "did some bad things" and that he's "going to think about it" -- but that he is more eager to focus on health care, immigration and other policy matters.
"I don't want to hurt them," Trump said of the Clintons, noting he'd spoken to both Hillary and Bill Clinton since his victory. "They're good people. I don't want to hurt them. And I will give you a very, very good and definitive answer the next time we do '60 Minutes' together,'" he said.

Hillary Clinton has cited Comey's late-campaign season disclosures as a reason for her loss. The former secretary of state told donors in a conference call Saturday that Comey delivered a double whammy to her candidacy in the final days of the campaign by taking another look at emails related to Clinton's private server before abruptly saying he found no wrongdoing.

In the interview, Trump also discussed lobbyists' role in his transition, his distaste for the Electoral College and the future of the Trump business brand. And he waded into how abortion and gun rights would be affected by his Supreme Court nominations.
Same-sex marriage and abortion

Trump said he's "fine" with same-sex marriage remaining legal across the country, and wouldn't appoint Supreme Court judges with the goal of reversing that ruling.
"It's irrelevant because it was already settled. It's law. It was settled in the Supreme Court. I mean it's done," Trump said.
He added: "These cases have gone to the Supreme Court. They've been settled. And- I'm -- I'm fine with that."
Trump also pledged to appoint judges who oppose abortion rights and oppose restrictions on Second Amendment gun rights.
If Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, were overturned, Trump said, decisions on whether to legalize or ban abortion would return to states.
Women seeking abortions whose state has banned them will "perhaps have to go -- they'll have to go to another state," Trump said.
"We'll see what happens. It's got a long way to go, just so you understand. That has a long, long way to go," he said.

Draining the swamp
Trump's rallying cry on the campaign trail was that he'd "drain the swamp" in Washington. But so far, Trump's transition team is filled with the usual suspects -- lobbyists and longtime Washington hands.

Trump didn't chafe at that characterization of his transition team. "Everybody's a lobbyist down there," he said, referring to Washington.
"That's the problem with the system -- the system. Right now, we're going to clean it up. We're having restrictions on foreign money coming in, we're going to put on term limits, which a lot of people aren't happy about, but we're putting on term limits. We're doing a lot of things to clean up the system. But everybody that works for government, they then leave government and they become a lobbyist, essentially. I mean, the whole place is one big lobbyist," Trump said.
He said relying on those lobbyists now while planning to eliminate them later is no contradiction.
"I'm saying that they know the system right now, but we're going to phase that out. You have to phase it out," Trump said.

Trump won more electoral votes than Clinton -- but he didn't win the popular vote.
Still, he says, he favors ditching the Electoral College and handing the presidency to the winner of the popular vote.
"I'm not going to change my mind just because I won. But I would rather see it where you went with simple votes. you know, you get 100 million votes and somebody else gets 90 million votes and you win. There's a reason for doing this because it brings all the states into play," Trump said.

How are his supporters going to take all that?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Here's Slate on the subject of the electoral college...

CxLsbj1XcAAvG4s.jpg

Here's Slate on the same subject in 2012....

CxLsarIXAAEJUeE.jpg

Board footer