You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: US Politics Thread

TheMole wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Do you not understand the distinction between Egypt, Turkey and Saudi Arabia and those other nations (that Obama identified in December 2015)?  Which nations are openly hostile to the US?  Turkey is petitioning to join the EU for fucks sakes, but sure, lump them in there with Syria or Iran.

You're a (ex?) military guy, right? So of course you're apt to think in terms of countries. The problem is that muslim extremism isn't tied to specific countries, it's a bunch of extremists employing guerrilla tactics. Sure, certain governments might overtly or covertly support ISIS, but don't you think that past attacks in Europe and the US have proven that where one's passport was issued is not a good indicator of whether or not they are likely to become a muslim terrorist? San Bernardino was an American and his Pakistani born/Saudi Arabia raised wife, Brussels and Paris were Belgian/French, Nice was a Tunisian, Berlin was a Tunisian, ...

Oh, and of course, the suspects of yesterday's terrorist attack on a Canadian Mosque are a Canadian citizen and someone of Moroccan decent... (no word yet on his nationality).

I could be wrong, but I'm having a hard time coming up with recent examples of terrorist attacks in the West perpetrated by citizens of those 7 countries...

So, feel free to keep thinking in terms of countries if it gives you a false sense of safety when Trump does stupid shit like this, but don't fault the rest of us for realizing that this whole thing is just a bunch of rhetorical nonesense with only immediate negative side effects for hundreds of people. Not to mention the further damage it does to the US's reputation amongst the international muslim community, therefore giving ISIS exactly the recruiting tools they need.

Trump is a stupid cunt, there's just no other way to put. I'm pretty sure you're not, but you're being fooled by his bravado and posturing.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I'm not fooled by anything.  I just don't think people coming from these countries offer much to the United States. If they have a green card, fine. But since people who have resident status from Iran normally get that by claiming asylum (since we don't have formal diplomatic relations with Iran), why the fuck are they flying back and forth to a country they allegedly needed asylum from.

If you're living in America, you shouldn't be flying back and forth to these countries. We have a right to protect our borders. I as a US citizen can't travel to Iran or North Korea with my American passport. So why should we allow people who have no right to be here the ability to travel freely between this country and their native nation.

Trump should add a loyalty tests to people wanting to enter the US. "Do you believe in freedom of speech and religion?"  "Do you believe people should be harmed if they offend the prophet Mohammed?"  Anyone who gives the wrong answer regardless of origin should be denied entry. Just like the Canadians who wanted to enter to protest in DC.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Trump should add a loyalty tests to people wanting to enter the US. "Do you believe in freedom of speech and religion?"  "Do you believe people should be harmed if they offend the prophet Mohammed?"  Anyone who gives the wrong answer regardless of origin should be denied entry. Just like the Canadians who wanted to enter to protest in DC.

Couldn't they just lie? I mean, if you want to enter the U.S. for nefarious purposes, you're going to do what you can to do it.

It's just like a gun ban that never gets support from the right: Why put restrictions on buying guns when criminals will find a way to get them? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to defend themselves, the argument goes.

Same with a travel ban: Why pursue it when the really dangerous folks will find a way to get in the U.S.? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to save themselves.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01/30 … osque.html

Canadian Mosque killers appear to be Muslims themselves.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

No one does confirmation bias better.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Like all the polls you guys celebrated saying Trump was going to lose by a massive margin and Clinton would have 340+ EVs.  Do you look at the underlying methodology and questions asked or do you just look at the headlines like you do with other news you enjoy.  You're the epitome of a low information voter.

Edit:  Oh, that's right.  Gallup isn't linking their methodology to their survey.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Like all the polls you guys celebrated saying Trump was going to lose by a massive margin and Clinton would have 340+ EVs.  Do you look at the underlying methodology and questions asked or do you just look at the headlines like you do with other news you enjoy.  You're the epitome of a low information voter.

Edit:  Oh, that's right.  Gallup isn't linking their methodology to their survey.

So we're factual, almost all of the national polls were right. Clinton won the national vote.

State polls were mostly within the margin of error. Just so we're on the record.

Also, do you always have to come in with the personal insults all the time? You are always turned up to 11. You have no chill. You seem angry. Are you mad you voted for the loser?

I hardly ever post here anymore because it always comes down to a Trump-style bashing.

By the way, you didn't even respond to my well reasoned post above.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Couldn't they just lie? I mean, if you want to enter the U.S. for nefarious purposes, you're going to do what you can to do it.

It's just like a gun ban that never gets support from the right: Why put restrictions on buying guns when criminals will find a way to get them? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to defend themselves, the argument goes.

Same with a travel ban: Why pursue it when the really dangerous folks will find a way to get in the U.S.? The only people you hurt are the innocents who want to save themselves.

If they lie and we find them at a rally advocating Sharia Law, we kick them out.
These people have no right to be here. The majority of Americans don't want them here. I don't want them here.

I don't want my local subway only offering Halal meats because the Iranians are offended at the idea of ham. I don't want legal fights because Somali refugees want extra time off to pray during their shift.  I don't care what you believe or do behind closed doors. But don't come here and demand we change to accommodate you.  No other country does this. If I went to Iran and demanded they only serve fish on Friday, I'd be laughed at and probably killed.  These aren't my problems, these aren't your problems. 

Marching out sob stories doesn't create an intelligent argument. America is less safe when you bring in people from a foreign culture directly at odds with foreign values. We just had a woman's march in this country. Yet these same people are the ones who want to bring in migrants who believe women are second class citizens. I don't care how many Americans are assholes. We can't kick them out. But we can stop people who offer no value or skill.

If you care so much, do something to fix the problem. But none of you enlisted. None of you are willing to give up anything to make the world better.

I just find this outrage completely disingenuous.

How about this. Why should we admit these people to our country?

Board footer