You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/sess … itics.html

This is a mistake. Prisons shouldn't be run for profit. Imprisoning our citizens shouldn't done with any aim of profit. If we want to put someone in prison, it should be handled solely by the government at whatever the cost.

I'm hoping Democrats and Republicans alike condemn this and work to change the law.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

There's a documentary called "Kids for Cash" that's very creepy.  Essentially it's a judge who did get caught sentencing kids to prison terms for minor offenses (1st time offense of small amount of pot = 6 months in jail etc). Turns out the judge was getting kickbacks from the nearby prison, and there's dozens of teens in the area who served pretty serious jail terms.

It's a pretty egregious case but shows what can happen.

Randall Flagg

Yea, I remember when the story broke on that. Nothing congress can do to resolve states using private prisons, but the federal government shouldn't be outsourcing prisoners.

Spicer's comments that Sessions is going to target legal marijuana don't make me happy. But we can't pick and choose what laws we follow. That was my biggest complaint about Obama. If the law is wrong, change it. Congress needs to compel the DEA to lower pot from schedule 1.  People shouldn't have their lives ruined for smoking an unaltered or unprocessed plant, meanwhile pharmaceuticals are taking billions off legal opioids.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

For profit prisons combined with  a crackdown on weed. Bad combo IMO.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

REST IN PEACE ALAN COLMES.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, I remember when the story broke on that. Nothing congress can do to resolve states using private prisons, but the federal government shouldn't be outsourcing prisoners.

Spicer's comments that Sessions is going to target legal marijuana don't make me happy. But we can't pick and choose what laws we follow. That was my biggest complaint about Obama. If the law is wrong, change it. Congress needs to compel the DEA to lower pot from schedule 1.  People shouldn't have their lives ruined for smoking an unaltered or unprocessed plant, meanwhile pharmaceuticals are taking billions off legal opioids.

Told you Sessions was a bad pick.

Randall Flagg

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Told you Sessions was a bad pick.

I still don't think so.  I fully support recreational weed.  But federal law says it's illegal.  He doesn't get to pick and choose what laws he enforces.  The DEA has it as a schedule 1 drug, and recently reaffirmed it as so.  The AG's job is to enforce the law.  Congress needs to perform its function and pass a law removing it from the list of Schedule 1 drugs.  It's shitty, but our government needs to start working again.

Randall Flagg

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-maher-u … 37447.html

Bill Maher saying the exact same thing as Milo in 1998.  I like Maher and I watch his show each week.  He had Milo on last Friday and it was pretty cordial.  Then this week when the Milo ship ended, Maher was the first to take credit.  If this doesn't come at Maher like it did Milo, can you really not claim media bias anymore?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's a dumb idea which will have a low approval. Not many people are pro-pot, but we've become a relatively progressive culture. Live & let live.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bill-maher-u … 37447.html

Bill Maher saying the exact same thing as Milo in 1998.  I like Maher and I watch his show each week.  He had Milo on last Friday and it was pretty cordial.  Then this week when the Milo ship ended, Maher was the first to take credit.  If this doesn't come at Maher like it did Milo, can you really not claim media bias anymore?

Nope...I'm tired of this media has a bias shit....who cares?

Our congress continues to do things that nobody is in favor of yet we send the same ass holes back every four years...

Government aint gonna work any time soon. It's just going to waste a ton of resources of policing something that will put a lot of good people in hot water.

The media didn't get Milo fired....his own fans did...if it wasn't his own support falling apart around him he wouldn't have quit. I never heard of the guy before Maher and I was planning on forgetting him after...

Board footer