You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: US Politics Thread

Neemo wrote:

So now Trump is attacking Canada and NAFTA? This guy is a fucking clown

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business … f2a1818e07

I have to admit...this is all interesting stuff...everyone will share in this tax cut it looks like...especially me (business and personal).

But let's not pretend like this is anything new. These aren't new ideas. And the come with long term consequences.

Now....what are the odds it actually passes? They don't need a single Democrat to vote for this do they? I'm confused now that they changed the rules for the supreme court.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I have to admit...this is all interesting stuff...everyone will share in this tax cut it looks like...especially me (business and personal).

But let's not pretend like this is anything new. These aren't new ideas. And the come with long term consequences.

Now....what are the odds it actually passes? They don't need a single Democrat to vote for this do they? I'm confused now that they changed the rules for the supreme court.

wow, a Trump proposal you don't hate! Haha

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

wow, a Trump proposal you don't hate! Haha

I obviously despise the man himself...I really struggle with the inconsistencies in who he is and what he says he wants to do...

but let's face it....we're 9 years out from the 2008 recession...I think people are feeling confident in the economy. And they should...and I still thank Obama for that as much as anyone...I just hope we learn our lessons...the economy can function like this if we all have integrity about our professional practices.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

It looks good in practice, but if corporations like google and Facebook can continue to essentially pay nothing, it's a mistake. Lowering the corporate rate is fine since no corporation pays anywhere near that, but deductions need to changed so everyone pays the 15% tax.

The same needs to be true of income. I'd be comfortable with 35% over 200k, but it needs to be tightened up so millionaires aren't paying an effective rate of 17%.

If they can affectively increase the amount of taxes gained while cutting the fat from the bureaucracy, I'm all for this. Making California and NY actually tax their people instead of being subsidized by the federal government is a much needed change.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

It looks good in practice, but if corporations like google and Facebook can continue to essentially pay nothing, it's a mistake. Lowering the corporate rate is fine since no corporation pays anywhere near that, but deductions need to changed so everyone pays the 15% tax.

I guess the theory is...if the rate is reasonable...they'll all come back to the table....right?

The same needs to be true of income. I'd be comfortable with 35% over 200k, but it needs to be tightened up so millionaires aren't paying an effective rate of 17%.

who wouldn't disagree with this?

If they can affectively increase the amount of taxes gained while cutting the fat from the bureaucracy, I'm all for this. Making California and NY actually tax their people instead of being subsidized by the federal government is a much needed change.

This is where things get wishey washy for me...Cali and NY pay in a shit ton already....do you really want to ask them to pay for more? That seems counter to the whole tax proposal that he is offering. I love the statistics on how much each state gets with a denominator of each tax dollar paid. the blue states always seem to subsidize the deep red states of the east (Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia).

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree. I heard California only gets back 78% of the Federal taxes they pony up.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

I agree. I heard California only gets back 78% of the Federal taxes they pony up.

But it's not everyday Californians or New Yorkers pumping the money. It's Wall Street and Silicon Valley. Just as its big oil in Texas. If New York and California want to become Denmark, they need to put that burden on their people just like Denmark.

Remove those unique entities like Wall Street, and compare how much CA and NY make and compare the average contribution.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

But it's not everyday Californians or New Yorkers pumping the money. It's Wall Street and Silicon Valley. Just as its big oil in Texas. If New York and California want to become Denmark, they need to put that burden on their people just like Denmark.

Remove those unique entities like Wall Street, and compare how much CA and NY make and compare the average contribution.

Ok fine...but as the rules go now...they pay plenty....I've heard no rules regarding changes to the rules you suggest.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Making California and NY actually tax their people instead of being subsidized by the federal government is a much needed change.

???

Board footer