You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Typically Insurance is somewhat a scam. My post above are things I want to see. People need a reward to be healthy not just taxed more to cover the unhealthy. People that live an unhealthy lifestyle need to pay more. Our society is very unhealthy.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Typically Insurance is somewhat a scam. My post above are things I want to see. People need a reward to be healthy not just taxed more to cover the unhealthy. People that live an unhealthy lifestyle need to pay more. Our society is very unhealthy.

Some in the industry are actually headed this way.  Premiums are what they are (though tobacco users do pay more in some cases) and deductibles are what they are, but they then provide incentives to people through payroll payments for healthy lifestyle decisions, smoking secession, weight loss, etc.  So in essence, healthy people end up spending less on their healthcare than unhealthy people do. 

Mark my words: Outcome based payment to physicians is the next plan.  Get paid for results, not extra tests and office visits.  That is the scam.  That is why you can't get into see a doctor for months.  They ask to see you way too many times so they can hit their bottom line.

But this does nothing to address the real issue.  Costs are out of control.  They overcharge for everything because they know the insurance company will mark it down.  It's a never ending game of cat and mouse and the only people really losing are the consumers.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If you guys want to have a non-political discussion on healthcare in a different thread, I'll come back more often to participate.  This thread disgusts me still, but there's been some good discussion over the last page or so.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Some in the industry are actually headed this way.  Premiums are what they are (though tobacco users do pay more in some cases) and deductibles are what they are, but they then provide incentives to people through payroll payments for healthy lifestyle decisions, smoking secession, weight loss, etc.  So in essence, healthy people end up spending less on their healthcare than unhealthy people do. 

Mark my words: Outcome based payment to physicians is the next plan.  Get paid for results, not extra tests and office visits.  That is the scam.  That is why you can't get into see a doctor for months.  They ask to see you way too many times so they can hit their bottom line.

But this does nothing to address the real issue.  Costs are out of control.  They overcharge for everything because they know the insurance company will mark it down.  It's a never ending game of cat and mouse and the only people really losing are the consumers.

This is something I can get behind. The fraud and abuse in the medical industry is frightening. Prescription companies and loose doctors are to blame for the opioid epidemic. There should never be a market incentive for medication. I don't want to stifle innovation as most new drugs are made in the US. But something needs to be done to regulate run away costs. I feel the same about college education.

I believe however this will be a self correcting solution shortly. Genetic engineering and our understanding of the genome will allow us to edit disease and proclivity out of our DNA, reducing medical upkeep. Imagine a world where cancer, diabetes and mental illness don't exist. Sure you'll get some pushback from the folks who think mental illness is a personality trait, but most people won't want their son to be depressed or think he's really a woman.

Compounded with AI and smart machines able to to detect ailments with better precision than any human, and the cost of care also dramatically declines.

Now if we could only stop the poor and stupid from outbreeding the successful and intelligent, we'd have a hell of a society capable of working collectively for the advancement of science and research rather than a full belly and reality tv playing in front of them.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

As a participant in this game (I am a medical provider) I feel I have a lot to offer regarding this topic.

I don't like the rules of the game but I am forced to play it.

But my rates haven't increased in 5 plus years. I'm not sure where you get this idea that costs are always going up.

I will tell you this though - the amount of time it takes to payout a claim is absurd. I haven't received a dime since mid-May and they do not feel the need to give me an explanation.

Also, they tell me what they'll pay for and how much. It's not like I walk into mcdonalds and the service price is determined by the rendering provider.

I always found it strange that they determined the amount without any input from me.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

As a participant in this game (I am a medical provider) I feel I have a lot to offer regarding this topic.

But my rates haven't increased in 5 plus years. I'm not sure where you get this idea that costs are always going up.

I will tell you this though - the amount of time it takes to payout a claim is absurd. I haven't received a dime since mid-May and they do not feel the need to give me an explanation.

Also, they tell me what they'll pay for and how much. It's not like I walk into mcdonalds and the service price is determined by the rendering provider.

I always found it strange that they determined the amount without any input from me.

Did you not read my post on the previous page? I discuss that very thing.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Did you not read my post on the previous page? I discuss that very thing.

I did...that's why I thought I would share my story

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind the last five years of my dad's life, considering all medications, doctor visits, tests, hospital stays, the medical industry got close to a million dollars out of Medicare and you wouldn't believe the fraud I witnessed. The worst was his eye doctor. Nearly every week I was having to take him over there, where he was giving him eye surgery at least once a month, not including shots into his eyes. He ended losing 80-90% of his eyesight specifically because the lasers destroyed his retinas. That's what his new doctor told us who saw him once every 3-4 months for those same shots.

There should be a fat tax. And there should be a junk food tax like cigarettes. What really burns me up is Michael Moore. He's screaming for a Canadian system. The guy is over 50, morbidly obese and rich. Why should tax payers pay for his healthcare? I'd hate to know all of his health problems, which I would suspect is pretty significant.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind the last five years of my dad's life, considering all medications, doctor visits, tests, hospital stays, the medical industry got close to a million dollars out of Medicare and you wouldn't believe the fraud I witnessed. The worst was his eye doctor. Nearly every week I was having to take him over there, where he was giving him eye surgery at least once a month, not including shots into his eyes. He ended losing 80-90% of his eyesight specifically because the lasers destroyed his retinas. That's what his new doctor told us who saw him once every 3-4 months for those same shots.

There should be a fat tax. And there should be a junk food tax like cigarettes. What really burns me up is Michael Moore. He's screaming for a Canadian system. The guy is over 50, morbidly obese and rich. Why should tax payers pay for his healthcare? I'd hate to know all of his health problems, which I would suspect is pretty significant.

I can't stand insurance fraud...it's so easy to do...and so hard to detect.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Thank God in Canada we like the rest of the civilized world do health care the right way. Thank God I'm not American and living out the idiocy of this thread... thank God.

Board footer