You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: US Politics Thread

Neemo wrote:

Not everyone can afford the gold plan tho...and critical patients get priority

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Neemo wrote:

Not everyone can afford the gold plan tho...and critical patients get priority

Not everyone can afford a USDA Prime Ribeye or a Mercedes Benz.  Not everyone gets to fuck Jennifer Lawrence.  Not everyone gets to win the Super Bowl. 

Until Obamacare, around 30 million Americans, or 10%, lacked health insurance.  Most of that figure was by choice, meaning they were young and foregoing the cost of insurance, or they already qualified for a pre-existing program and didn't enroll.  Our system was far from perfect, but all Obama and the Democrats did was force more Americans to accept poorer quality care for more money out of their pocket.  That's the indisputable reality.  Approx 25 million Americans had to change their plan after the ACA passed.  Why didn't the judges rule that because Obama campaigned on "If you like your plan you can keep it" or "This isn't a tax" that it somehow invalidated the law like they did with Trump's talk of a Muslim Ban?  So when you hear a figure like "22 million will lose insurance", you have to question the accuracy of that figure and ask the obvious question of "why?"

I don't think the current GOP plan is a good bill.  I think medicaid should be expanded and funded in part by a scaling income tax.  People that have private insurance can use that monthly contribution as a tax write-off, but no one should be exempt from contributing to their care.  Poor life choices don't exempt you from "paying your fair share" as our progressive friends like to opine on taxes.  But the healthcare of the majority shouldn't be lowered because a small portion of people fall into a very narrow category of folks unable to get healthcare. 

I have mixed feelings on "lifestyle" taxes, because I don't know where the cutoff should be.  Smoking? ok.  Obesity? I guess.  But what about people who drink every day?  People who have sex with many partners?  People who choose to live in high crime areas or work in areas with a higher injury rate?  What if you have a genetic deformity and decide to have children and pass that deformity on to them?  I'm not saying yes or no to any of these, but that's the kind of questions elected officials will have to decide.  I don't know where that line is.

I don't think anyone, specifically children, should lack for medical care.  But there has to be a deterrent in the law to negate the risk of people abusing the system.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

For sure I agree u don't want people to abuse the system

Look...im not saying Canada health care is perfect...but I know that if something happens I can take myself or my family to our family doctor and get help...its a piece of mind that is very reassuring to me and many other Canadians

But I pay 26% income tax every year and my work has a health plan as well that I pay half of every pay cheque (like $30 or something)

The income tax goes to lots of things including regular road and freeway maintenance, health coverage, old age pension and other infrastructure spending

Not sure what Americans pay in income tax or if u guys have govt funded pension...and i know that road conditions suck in Buffalo, Ohio and Michigan lol

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I did...that's why I thought I would share my story

You're an asshole

Nah, your not an asshole. We all seem to agree on this

Derp

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I always felt the US Healthcare should be more of a 'catastrophy plan', where you pay $1000 year, get very minimal coverage (checkup, limited meds), but if you come down with something tragic like cancer or a very serious injury you're covered. So your not $100K in debt. ER stuff is covered, cancer, etc.

On the flip side, insurance companies still need to cover everyone who applies, no pre-existing conditions clause. To make that work, they need young people to pay in so make it a mandate that everyone needs to pay in.  If you can't afford it give tax credits or subsidies so they only pay $500 or $250.

I do feel Obamacare went a little too far (Cadillac plan) in coverage whereas I think it should be more barebones to address bankruptcy/debt related issues & pre-existing conditions where people couldn't get health coverage at all by their 50s & 60s.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I always felt the US Healthcare should be more of a 'catastrophy plan', where you pay $1000 year, get very minimal coverage (checkup, limited meds), but if you come down with something tragic like cancer or a very serious injury you're covered. So your not $100K in debt. ER stuff is covered, cancer, etc.

On the flip side, insurance companies still need to cover everyone who applies, no pre-existing conditions clause. To make that work, they need young people to pay in so make it a mandate that everyone needs to pay in.  If you can't afford it give tax credits or subsidies so they only pay $500 or $250.

I do feel Obamacare went a little too far (Cadillac plan) in coverage whereas I think it should be more barebones to address bankruptcy/debt related issues & pre-existing conditions where people couldn't get health coverage at all by their 50s & 60s.

I would support a mandate requiring insurance like you're suggesting.

The rules of Obamacare didn't change the way insurance companies do business.

Copays/coinsurances
Deductibles
Out-of-Pocket maximums.

These things only serve to make people feel like they're getting ripped off.

But catastrophic plans are available on exchanges...for those states that have them. High out of pockets ($5-10k)...but after that it's all taken care of...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Holy shit, Trump is such a pussy. I'd like to see a fight between he and Scarborough.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

Holy shit, Trump is such a pussy. I'd like to see a fight between he and Scarborough.

I just can't get behind the outrage.  Mara insults him, attacks his appearance, calls him a psychopath, states he's destroying America and everyone is fine that a so called "journalist" conducts herself in this manner.  Trump responds that she had a horrible face job and wanted to cozy up to him at a New Years party, and somehow he's the one in the wrong here. 

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want my president on twitter acting like an asshole either.  But I also don't want a media that is full of vitriol, hate and lies, then plays a victim when someone in any official capacity doesn't kiss their ass and tell them it smells of unicorns and rainbows.  People found it hysterical when Obama traded jabs at the Correspondents dinner or went on Jimmy Kimmel and read mean tweets.  It was perfectly acceptable for candidate Clinton to call half the country a basket of deplorables.  How many congressman have called Trump a fake president or question the legitimacy of his election, knowing full well our election systems were never compromised and Trump was fairly elected under the rules setforth in our Constitution. 

This is an environment both sides have equally created and played in for the better part of 20 years, and it's progressively gotten meaner and more extreme. 

So I'm not going to feign outrage when Trump fires back at a public personality who uses her platform to lob insults and attacks at him.  It's not the ideal situation I'd want, but I don't have the expectation of Trump or any elected official remaining silent while a grown adult throws insults at him.  Perfectly ok for her to suggest he has a small dick by saying he hid his hands in his fake Time cover.  But Trump crosses a line by calling out she's had plastic surgery.  I'm not buying the outrage.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

I just can't get behind the outrage.  Mara insults him, attacks his appearance, calls him a psychopath, states he's destroying America and everyone is fine that a so called "journalist" conducts herself in this manner.  Trump responds that she had a horrible face job and wanted to cozy up to him at a New Years party, and somehow he's the one in the wrong here. 

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want my president on twitter acting like an asshole either.

Mara or Mika (is that her nickname?) I don't view Myka/Joe as real 'journalists'. That's a bit of a stretch.  They are an opinionated talk show, similar to Howard Stern, Jimmy Kimmel, or Rush Limbaugh.  When Rush had his oxycontin & pill poppin' episode, I'm sure 'pubs would've certainly stood by Obama had he said "Rush is a drug addicted douche'.

I think the second part of your post is more to the point, The President shouldn't be on Twitter hurling insults anyway. IMHO he shouldn't be on Twitter at all, and if so it should definitely be guarded, in that nothing can be posted without someone else's review of it.  Someone rational.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

How many congressman have called Trump a fake president or question the legitimacy of his election, knowing full well our election systems were never compromised and Trump was fairly elected under the rules setforth in our Constitution. 

This is an environment both sides have equally created and played in for the better part of 20 years, and it's progressively gotten meaner and more extreme.

Questioning the legitimacy of the election outcome isn't anywhere near as personal an attack as mocking someone for a facejob.  Secondly, Trump haggled Obama for YEARS over his birth certificate and legitimacy.  Also, wasn't it Newt Gingrich who called Chelsea ugly?

EDIT: It was McCain, not Newt

Board footer