You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

PSA.

How many of my married men friends out there can sit down to a wonderful dinner with their wives...

And then in the sobremesa...then talk of healthcare. And in that talk their wives tell them through tears:

"I was there at the hospital in Madison...waiting. Waiting. They treated me like an idiot. And all they wanted to know is what i did or didn't do. My son was born without bile ducts what could I do or not do with that?"

Indeed. My wife is a compelling witness. Her tears are her sincerity.

Why is medicine this way? We have the best medical system in the world?

Then why is Sue traumatized by an experience she had in 1994 in Madison Wisconsin at a purportedly excellent hospital?

And then she went on: "I stayed down there day after day, week after week--sleeping in a chair...and I'd see other poor children there--the "cleft palate" children and no parents---the mentally challenged children--no parents....nobody cared about these children..and the doctors didn't either. I just remember being yelled at because I wasn't a sufficient mom.... I hate doctors. I hate them...."

And she went on: "I wasn't a sufficient mom?" What the fuck did they know!!!"

(My wife is a lion--i love her).

Do you know that at the beginning of it all Bill was set to die. So Sue had to go through that. Your little cherubic newborn that you're so attached to is going to die--he has no bile ducts.

But then an actually good doctor came up with a quick-fix. He put a spigot into bill's liver in the area where bile collects. And so bill had a little faucet coming out of his abdominal area.

And the idea was Sue would keep a spoon under that faucet and take the bile out and then feed it to her newborn in his mouth.

This was ingenious in that it kept the boy alive---but put yourself there. Put yourself in that position of a mother holding your little baby with a spoon in your hand and collecting bile and then feeding it back through his mouth so it gets to his stomach to process all that milkfat... And you have another 3 year old that needs taking care of (Joe--Bill's older borther).

Sue and I talked about some of this history tonight---and that's when I knew I just had to pull out Sgt. Peppers... and when that started spinning things got light again.

But it's never light for long when you live paycheck to paycheck, when you're a mom..when your children are on the brink of life and death. Any society that leaves its citizens---especially tax paying law abiding, fucking rocking the shit out hardworking citizens like that--is a failed society.

But fuck it right? Frack. Drill. Leave Corporations alone.

THIS IS AN EXCERPT WRITTEN BY MY STEP FATHER - ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD - MY BROTHER BEING THE ILL CHILD.

RF...NOT CONVINCED BY THE EMOTIONAL APPEAL?

You got nothing to say RF? Where are all your facts?

The_Borg
 Rep: 1 

The_Borg wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

McConnell has been a complete embarrassment managing the Senate. If he had balls, he could have broken ranks and tried to broker a deal with Schumer and work to find the moderates. Let Warren and Paul bluster. I hope he offers an olive branch to Schumer. I want someone to lead.

If Congress doesn't start working together, we're fucked. Everybody needs to give up some territory. Trump sure as shit isn't going to unite anyone. He's as toxic as ever.

Trump could turn face and offer to work with the Dems as a "fuck you" to the GOP. Though I don't think they'd accept it. If he was the deal maker he thought he was, he'd have Pelosi, Ryan, Schumer and McConnell in his office brokering a deal. But we're back to bickering and blaming the other side.

I am the great lord, Borg.

I only operate in facts. Do not appeal to me in any way unless you  have the facts.

I bring you all the gift of the Rasmussen Poll. They deal in facts. https://realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

I deal in facts. Do not question my facts.

I am the Borg.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:

And Trump isn't exactly making it easy to get bipartisan help. Neither has Ryan, tbh.

Right, which is why I hope McConnell can start the process.  Trump doesn't give a shit.  All he wants is a win under his belt.  Ryan's in a much tougher boat because he has the freedom caucus.  Nothing short of complete repeal is going to satisfy them.  But there are moderates on both sides.  You're never going to appease Paul or Warren.  Hell, even if you passed single payer today or removed all federal regulation over healthcare, they'd both be on TV tomorrow bitching. 

I knew the DNC's hopes of getting the Senate in 2016 were unrealistic.  Clinton knew this, so she had to have had a plan to work with the GOP moderates and the moderates in her own party.  Someone has to step up and be a leader.  The idiots can rant about purity and wanting the other side to fail because they treat politics like a NFL game.  But after 6 years of near constant bickering, this needs to end.  Pointing fingers and trying to assign blame is futile.  Both sides are equally guilty in all of this, and trying to point blame does nothing to move us forward.  It's unlikely the DNC gets the house in 2018, but  I'm not saying it can't happen.  I'm just tired of all the bickering and want leaders that actually collaborate and build compromise rather than claim some arbitrary moral reasoning that no sane person can legislate.  Take immigration.  An open border where people can come and go as they please with no penalties isn't realistic.  But neither is the idea of rounding up 12 million people at gun point and sending them home.  There's a huge room for compromise that plugs the open border while offering an opportunity for people to assimilate and join America.  But purists on both sides ignore reality and pretend that paying lipservice to the extreme is meaningful in any way.

Expand medicaid.  Limit prescription prices.  Create a tax benefit to people who have private insurance.  Open private insurance across state lines and force them to compete.  That's a compromise.  But too many people are more interested in fighting and cheerleading their team rather than finding a solution.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If they lose some seats in 18 that will motivate some folks. It would also free up more Republicans to turn and speak out on Trump.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Trumpcare fail to me, means angrier conservatives who replace reps with even bigger nuts.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

But the vulnerable repubs in 18 are in Hillary districts.

Trump is such a dumb ass. 16

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

But the vulnerable repubs in 18 are in Hillary districts.

Trump is such a dumb ass. 16

Awesome negotiator. Only he can fix it!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

And Trump isn't exactly making it easy to get bipartisan help. Neither has Ryan, tbh.

Right, which is why I hope McConnell can start the process.  Trump doesn't give a shit.  All he wants is a win under his belt.  Ryan's in a much tougher boat because he has the freedom caucus.  Nothing short of complete repeal is going to satisfy them.  But there are moderates on both sides.  You're never going to appease Paul or Warren.  Hell, even if you passed single payer today or removed all federal regulation over healthcare, they'd both be on TV tomorrow bitching. 

I knew the DNC's hopes of getting the Senate in 2016 were unrealistic.  Clinton knew this, so she had to have had a plan to work with the GOP moderates and the moderates in her own party.  Someone has to step up and be a leader.  The idiots can rant about purity and wanting the other side to fail because they treat politics like a NFL game.  But after 6 years of near constant bickering, this needs to end.  Pointing fingers and trying to assign blame is futile.  Both sides are equally guilty in all of this, and trying to point blame does nothing to move us forward.  It's unlikely the DNC gets the house in 2018, but  I'm not saying it can't happen.  I'm just tired of all the bickering and want leaders that actually collaborate and build compromise rather than claim some arbitrary moral reasoning that no sane person can legislate.  Take immigration.  An open border where people can come and go as they please with no penalties isn't realistic.  But neither is the idea of rounding up 12 million people at gun point and sending them home.  There's a huge room for compromise that plugs the open border while offering an opportunity for people to assimilate and join America.  But purists on both sides ignore reality and pretend that paying lipservice to the extreme is meaningful in any way.

Expand medicaid.  Limit prescription prices.  Create a tax benefit to people who have private insurance.  Open private insurance across state lines and force them to compete.  That's a compromise.  But too many people are more interested in fighting and cheerleading their team rather than finding a solution.

This is spot-on, but compromise is dead.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:

This is spot-on, but compromise is dead.

Honestly, how do you expect democrats to compromise when they aren't in control?

Even if they were in control of a branch, how do you compromise with someone who is belittling you?

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

As I said before. Republicans can't come up with another plan, because the ACA is essentially a Republican plan in the first place. This is how stupid they are. Whatever Obama wanted they were against, even if they were previously for it. Healthcare isn't the only thing they did this with, but it is the most damaging to their party. If Obamacare was simply an extension of Medicare, the GOP would be floating a replacement plan that looks like what we have today (ACA).

Board footer