You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

I heard its an aggressive form of brain cancer though, typical prognosis they claimed was about a year & half. Sounds sorta like pancreatic cancer tbh. I agree taking time off sounds best. I think he'll go down with the ship tho, and keep fighting & do his thing in the Senate.

Y'know, I think they're definitely going to do a biopic on him. His time as a POW alone is worthy. Surprised they never made a POW type movie, sorta like Apocolypse Now style. On the war movie note, Full Metal Jacket is 30 years old this month I think. And this Dunkirk is supposedly epic!

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

The man is THE American hero. I can't think of anyone who has sacrificed more and dedicated his life to this country

Not according Trump...I thought he only liked people who didn't get captured.

Part of me felt that if I were that age, I'd pass on the horrors of chemo/radiation, especially since I'd die anyway. But that's easy for me to say sitting here I guess.

It's an awful, gut wrenching thing to have to think about...but I think I'd fight it...not matter the circumstances...

There's just too many good things to live for...

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

One thing about middle age is that you begin to (or have already seen) many people you know pass. It's only going to accelerate as we get older too. I recently read "Being Mortal", which was written by a physician who has seen countless people die, many of whom suffered tremendously before doing so. The stories were often grim, and the doctors being human often added to the problem. They wanted to add hope, they wanted to try a little more too, they really didn't want to tell the patient they were out of options. But the hell these poor people went through as a result is nothing I'd care to endure.  Hospice would have been a much more easy option for family, the doctors and the patients.

If I understand correctly this is an aggressive cancer with a poor outcome, even after the horrors of chemotherapy. More than likely he's going to die anyway. I guess my concern would be quality of life. Perhaps I'll get another year, but if my body/mind/spirit are ravaged by the cure, I don't know if that would count as "quality."

But as I said earlier, it's easy for me to sit here and say these things. I'm not 81 with this diagnosis. If that time ever came, I could toss it all  out the window and tell the doctors to throw everything they have at it.

The whole thing sucks really. Time goes by so fast. A blink of the eye really.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

One thing about middle age is that you begin to (or have already seen) many people you know pass. It's only going to accelerate as we get older too. I recently read "Being Mortal", which was written by a physician who has seen countless people die, many of whom suffered tremendously before doing so. The stories were often grim, and the doctors being human often added to the problem. They wanted to add hope, they wanted to try a little more too, they really didn't want to tell the patient they were out of options. But the hell these poor people went through as a result is nothing I'd care to endure.  Hospice would have been a much more easy option for family, the doctors and the patients.

If I understand correctly this is an aggressive cancer with a poor outcome, even after the horrors of chemotherapy. More than likely he's going to die anyway. I guess my concern would be quality of life. Perhaps I'll get another year, but if my body/mind/spirit are ravaged by the cure, I don't know if that would count as "quality."

But as I said earlier, it's easy for me to sit here and say these things. I'm not 81 with this diagnosis. If that time ever came, I could toss it all  out the window and tell the doctors to throw everything they have at it.

The whole thing sucks really. Time goes by so fast. A blink of the eye really.

Thats almost exactly what I meant to portray in my earlier post....maybe not so elequantly...

When your whole childhood is built around giving one member of the family the resources necessary to survive medically...then it becomes a duty to make certain that everyone gets that.

Of all people, John McCain deserves that.

We all do.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

He should retire to spend time with his family and recovering. The man is THE American hero. I can't think of anyone who has sacrificed more and dedicated his life to this country. Hopefully this tumor is treatable, but can an 80 year old survive chemo?  My best friend was 31 when he underwent chemo and was in amazing shape. It took everything from him. I can't imagine what'd it do to McCain.

Psychologically, it might be better for him to work. Just giving up would be terrible and I don't see him doing that. Something seemed really wrong with him the last few months, though. Fuck that guy has been run through the mill.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

He should retire to spend time with his family and recovering. The man is THE American hero. I can't think of anyone who has sacrificed more and dedicated his life to this country. Hopefully this tumor is treatable, but can an 80 year old survive chemo?  My best friend was 31 when he underwent chemo and was in amazing shape. It took everything from him. I can't imagine what'd it do to McCain.

Psychologically, it might be better for him to work. Just giving up would be terrible and I don't see him doing that. Something seemed really wrong with him the last few months, though. Fuck that guy has been run through the mill.

Yea, but that's why he shouldn't. I don't know that his ticks have been related to this. I certainly understood his explanation for his akward questions at Comey. But if it is related, then he should step back. Not only will he be incredibly stressed from treatment, if his judgement is already impaired, this could push it further. He's a Sailor. He knows that you always put the mission ahead of personal pride and glory.

He's served with honor and distinction. He shouldn't cause more harm to himself or his reputation by trying to juggle treatment, recovery and his senate obligations.  I have no clue off the top of my head the politics of Arizona, but keeping a republican seat shouldn't even be part of the discussion.

It's his decision to make. But he should feel no obligation to the country after all he's already done. He's earned the ability to step back and take care of him and his.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Trump lawyers asking about presidential pardon powers: report

President Trump's lawyers are looking into the president's authority to grant pardons in connection with the special counsel investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 election, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Trump himself has talked to advisers about his ability to pardon his aides, family members and himself in the investigations, according to the Post, though one adviser cautioned that the president's inquiries were made in curiosity, rather than in connection to the Russia probes.

“This is not in the context of, ‘I can’t wait to pardon myself,” the adviser said.

Democrats have raised concerns in the past that Trump would pardon anyone who is convicted in the ongoing Russia investigations.

Trump's lawyers have reportedly been discussing presidential pardons among themselves, and are also looking at ways to undercut or limit the special counsel investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

That includes putting together a list of special counsel Robert Mueller's potential conflicts of interest, which could potentially be cited by an attorney general to do away with Mueller.

Trump has voiced much frustration over the ongoing special counsel investigation into Russian efforts to meddle in the 2016 election, calling it a "witch hunt" and a "cloud" hanging over his presidency.

The Washington Post report comes a week after reports that Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. met in June of 2016 with a Russian lawyer who promised damaging information on Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton.

Trump Jr., the president and other administration members have come under fire following the reports of the meeting, which has added to speculation that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the 2016 presidential election.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat … le-mueller

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

The whole NYT interview was bizarre.  Just seemed like an admission he's guilty, and he knows they have the evidence. Saying he wouldn't have hired Sessions if he knew he would recuse himself. I heard that it was (subliminally telling) that Trump said "He should have told me he would recuse himself", and was upset he didnt' say that.

Well, that indicates Sessions would have known about this back in December, when he was offered the gig, if he could have told him. Also, now he's beginning talk of firing Mueller, and pardoning everybody, especially his kids. AND he's getting angry the Feds are looking into his money, seeing what business investments he has with Russia. He knows he's going down, he just doesn't want the Feds messing with his business or money. He'll gladly not serve out his 4 years, but don't affect his business venture.

Gonna be interesting to see Donny Jr testify next week, I can't imagine it'll be very productive for him. Laughed when he said "I just want these 4 years to be over".   "Four"?  So no re-election campaign is planned?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

The whole NYT interview was bizarre.  Just seemed like an admission he's guilty, and he knows they have the evidence. Saying he wouldn't have hired Sessions if he knew he would recuse himself. I heard that it was (subliminally telling) that Trump said "He should have told me he would recuse himself", and was upset he didnt' say that.

Well, that indicates Sessions would have known about this back in December, when he was offered the gig, if he could have told him. Also, now he's beginning talk of firing Mueller, and pardoning everybody, especially his kids. AND he's getting angry the Feds are looking into his money, seeing what business investments he has with Russia. He knows he's going down, he just doesn't want the Feds messing with his business or money. He'll gladly not serve out his 4 years, but don't affect his business venture.

Gonna be interesting to see Donny Jr testify next week, I can't imagine it'll be very productive for him. Laughed when he said "I just want these 4 years to be over".   "Four"?  So no re-election campaign is planned?

There's a lot left of those 4 years still.

Curiously, that would potentially set up a Mike Pence vs democrat to be named.

Seeing as how Americans didn't vote for Pence and he was the third or fourth person to be offered the job, how might that all affect Pences chances?

A lot of postulating, I know.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Pence would (will) need a strong VP. My guess is Jeb Bush. Maybe Marco Rubio to help win Florida, and if Rubio leans a bit more moderate. I'd say Jeb is a better choice.

2020 will be a bizarre matchup, the Dems don't have a heavyweight in this one either. Still talk of Biden, I dunno though, he'll be pretty old.

Board footer