You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Haha, hell that was long, but I got it off my chest all at once.

These are very serious issues, but I wouldn't feel hopeless about it. Perhaps it's my lifestyle, but I talk to all kinds of people all the time when I'm out and about, and the majority are very happy/friendly. I don't see this conflict.

The problem with our 24/7 news channels (which suck), and social media is that for some things they blow them up to be much larger than they really are. They also create division. We are a divided country especially online and according to cable "news" , but my experience in real life doesn't play out that way.

Our government is broken. I think that's a reality. But I also believe that ties in with social media and our 24/7 news culture. They are the primary driver for this mess.

Personally my main concerns are our dysfunctional government and/or war. After that I have the same concerns we've probably had for decades now: Healthcare, help for the poor, homelessness etc.

The internet has allowed fringe (name your subject) to move to the front row these days. More people than ever are exposed to what used to be considered radical 10-20 years ago. They're also able to calcify these new ideas inside their bubble, which feeds them confirmation bias all day long. Some really ugly things have been reborn because of this. But I still don't think it's that dire. I don't feel it's that much of a threat to our society. Most people want to work, provide for their family, and be healthy IMO.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

We're opening a boutique and environmentally conscious garden-park nature-animal habitat resort with a few attractions. I was seriously considering offering to take some of these monuments and setting up a southern soldier memorial, not a confederacy memorial, but the more I think about it the more I think it will put us in a really bad situation. Outside news groups would show up, paint us in a negative light, which could potentially bring out violent individuals, so it's a no win situation. A private Confederate soldier memorial in Florida is already getting death threats to the owners and threats of vandalism and removal.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Trump basically said he's going to pardon Joe but not tonight so he won't cause any controversy.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

The entire speech was embarrassing. The crowd chanting "CNN sucks" to the president is beyond absurd. People don't behave like that.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I am not a violent person. I've thrown a punch exactly twice in my life. I've been injured more often trying to stop fights than being in one.

I am a black belt in Tae Kwan Do, as is my wife and son. We spar and practice, more often a couple years ago, and I adhere to the TKD philosophy of using my skills only in self defense.

I don't understand the need to be violent to advance your cause. You've already lost when you're resorting to use force to prove your point. That won't convince anyone. It's the same logic that has over the years proven that spanking kids does more harm than good.

The violence and hate speech being used in the current climate is not conducive to solving any problem. It's making things worse by the day. It would be nice if we had an adult on the right or left that could talk some sense into everybody, but we don't. Trump makes things worse, Obama is just divisive because he's black, Clinton (either one) has worn out their welcome, Pence is just a sycophant, Ryan is a spineless turd. We're really in a bad spot.

I don't agree with ripping down monuments. If municipalities want to do it, fine. But protesters shouldn't be out there doing it on their own. Do i think we need statues to honor people who fought against the U.S.? Not really.  Does it keep me up at night? No. But I'm an upper middle class white guy, so maybe that's my privilege showing.

Overall, I'm pretty pessimistic about us right now. This forum right here is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with America. A lot of bluster and name-calling and belligerence.

It just seems we're painting ourselves into a corner rather quickly. And once your pinned in, fighting your way out becomes option No. 1.  Everyone needs to take a step back and think about what they're doing. It's almost as if there is a snowball effect in action and no one feels a need to stop it.

I despise Trump and many GOP leaders who I think have only two main goals: make the rich richer and overtuen Roe v. Wade. I think that's the endgame. But I'm not seeing any new Democratic ideas that are going to change the game here anytime soon. I feel like both parties have just forsaken the center.

I'm not optimistic about much of anything. I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone and trying to do right by my family. But I also feel like I'm not doing enough to help solve problems. I wouldn't even know where to start, there are so many. I donate time, money, and resources to local organizations, but that doesn't change the big picture to speak of.

Anyway, a long post, I know. And since I didn't call anybody names, it'll probably be ignored. But these are the things I've been thinking about for the last few weeks. You could say I'm nearing hopelessness.

This was an awesome post btw...meant to comment earlier but was viewing on my phone. I'm not optimistic either. There hasn't been any calm since Trump started his campaign. He ran on hate and boy is he getting it stirred up in everyone.

More of the same tonight. I'm tying to make sense of what's going on but I'm not having much luck.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The entire speech was embarrassing. The crowd chanting "CNN sucks" to the president is beyond absurd. People don't behave like that.

It's like he's playing his presidency like it's a TV show and he's embraced the role as the villain.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

Trump basically said he's going to pardon Joe....

Seems like a really dumb move. Is there anybody he doesn't want to alienate?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Does Trump last until December?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I bet McConnell leaks dirt on the Russia probe soon. Something drops this week.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

The thing was a mess. "CNN Sucks" chants, still bitching about Obama, Hillary, a President unaware how our legislature works asking we change the laws to allow for 51 votes instead of 60, going off script, spending 30 minutes on his Charlottesville comments again, bragging about how he was right (but omitting his 'on many sides' ad lib), he's just a wreck. He brought back his 'Build That Wall' chant after he seemed to give up on it months ago.

And bad-mouthing McCain is just too far now. Someone in the Senate needs to step up & confront him on this issue. Heck, I'd love to see Biden go toe to toe with him on it.

Board footer