You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:

I read the article. Also you're not welcome to speak on my behalf. I've told you this before.

Just another coincidence on a huge pile of coincidences it seems.

I also think it's funny how you quote Trump's response to this. As if he's not some pathological liar.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

slcpunk wrote:

I read the article. Also you're not welcome to speak on my behalf. I've told you this before.

I also think it's funny how you quote Trump's response to this. As if he's not some pathological liar.

My mistake, so it was inaccurate to say you think this article demonstrates something other than some guy emailed Trump's lawyer for a business deal that never happened.  My apologies.  Glad we agree this article is nothing more than gossip and you've moved on from your list of conspiracies.  Glad we we clarified that.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

My mistake, so it was inaccurate to say you think this article demonstrates something other than some guy emailed Trump's lawyer for a business deal that never happened.  My apologies.  Glad we agree this article is nothing more than gossip and you've moved on from your list of conspiracies.  Glad we we clarified that.

Oh Flagg...you're just so grounded and fair....

What would we do without your constant condescending tone and arrogance?

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Again, it would be a nothing burger if it were a sole occurrence, but it most certainly is not. It's an endless string of events, including Junior's meeting ( "I love it!") with Russians to get dirt on Hillary.

Intent too, is everything.

"The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump’s campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees."

"Mr. Trump, however signed a nonbinding “letter of intent” for the project in 2015. Mr. Cohen said he discussed the project with Mr. Trump three times."

Email.jpg

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

I refuse to play the "i didn't say that game", but you're free to pretend SLC just posted that article because he wants to keep us all informed on random articles coming from the times.  He can play his  (I'm borrowing a term you two accused me of weeks ago) "lawyer" nonsense and claim that his posting of an article implies nothing.  But I have a memory and an above average IQ, so I know if he's posting something, it's because he finds importance in it.  In this case after months of crying about piss tapes, hacked voting machines and collusion (all of which can be found here and on his own forum) I'm the asshole for not associating his "random, completely informative post" with his previous assertions of treason, collusion, espionage, etc. 

But I'm the condescending one, pretending that no one can "know" my motives or intent behind posting an article.  This is why I literally laugh out loud whenever you accuse me of having no convictions/principles/beliefs/values.  I make my position very clear.  I don't need to hide behind a facade of innocence.  If I'm wrong, I'll be called on it.  I don't need to pretend I don't have a position on a subject.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Again, it would be a nothing burger if it were a sole occurrence, but it most certainly is not. It's an endless string of events, including Juniors meeting ( I love it!) with Russians to get dirt on Hillary.

"The emails show that, from the earliest months of Mr. Trump’s campaign, some of his associates viewed close ties with Moscow as a political advantage. Those ties are now under investigation by the Justice Department and multiple congressional committees."

"Mr. Trump, however signed a nonbinding “letter of intent” for the project in 2015. Mr. Cohen said he discussed the project with Mr. Trump three times."

https://s26.postimg.org/neg13vhih/Email.jpg

Flagg didn't read this part

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Again, it would be a nothing burger if it were a sole occurrence, but it most certainly is not. It's an endless string of events, including Juniors meeting ( I love it!) with Russians to get dirt on Hillary.

https://s26.postimg.org/neg13vhih/Email.jpg

Flagg didn't read this part

Flagg read the entire article. I just don't accept editorial comments as fact. I think that's the root of all your problems. You probably think a bat boy was born in Guam because it was on the cover of the national enquirer.   Consider me one of those crazies who likes facts and truth instead of conspiracies by people with an equal or lesser education than myself.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I refuse to play the "i didn't say that game", but you're free to pretend SLC just posted that article because he wants to keep us all informed on random articles coming from the times.  He can play his  (I'm borrowing a term you two accused me of weeks ago) "lawyer" nonsense and claim that his posting of an article implies nothing.  But I have a memory and an above average IQ, so I know if he's posting something, it's because he finds importance in it.  In this case after months of crying about piss tapes, hacked voting machines and collusion (all of which can be found here and on his own forum) I'm the asshole for not associating his "random, completely informative post" with his previous assertions of treason, collusion, espionage, etc. 

But I'm the condescending one, pretending that no one can "know" my motives or intent behind posting an article.  This is why I literally laugh out loud whenever you accuse me of having no convictions/principles/beliefs/values.  I make my position very clear.  I don't need to hide behind a facade of innocence.  If I'm wrong, I'll be called on it.  I don't need to pretend I don't have a position on a subject.

You intentionally avoid these articles don't you?

Anything really that might muddy your waters is avoided.

You remind me of that turn of phrase....how does it go?

1/3 of the people will kill the other 1/3 and the final 1/3 will watch.

You're the final third. With your above average IQ and no skin in the game. Just your facts.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

crowd1.png

crowd2.png

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

What more proof of a secret Russian connection do we need?

Evidence that then-presidential candidate Donald Trump was pursuing a lucrative business deal with Russia and that his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, emailed Russian President Vladimir Putin’s personal spokesman to intervene raises the stakes in Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation substantially. The Post reports:

Cohen’s email to [Dmitry] Peskov provides an example of a Trump business official directly seeking Kremlin assistance in advancing Trump’s business interests. … Cohen said he discussed the deal three times with Trump and that Trump signed a letter of intent with the company on Oct. 28, 2015. He said the Trump company began to solicit designs from architects and discuss financing.

Ethics expert Norman Eisen warns: “Now we have a second group of emails from those in Trump’s orbit suggesting high-level outreach to Russia in and around the election season. Like the now-famous email exchange with Don Jr. about Russia’s ‘support for Mr. Trump,’ these new documents promising that ‘Putin’s team’ will ‘buy in’ on Trump raise the question of what the president knew of all this and when he knew it.” He tells me, “The emails add important additional evidence to the special counsel’s investigation, both as to possible collusion and as to obstruction of justice, inasmuch as they deepen the suspicion of a possible malign Trump motive for attempting to block the Russia investigation.”

Now, Cohen insists to The Post that the Trump Tower Moscow proposal was “not related in any way to Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign.” But of course, we don’t know that and neither does he. Mueller, however, will be looking for evidence, as Eisen puts it, “that Trump or his agents actually agreed to better treatment for Putin and Russia in exchange for a present or future Trump Tower Moscow.” That would, he says, “go beyond collusion to outright corruption.” But even without a smoking gun showing a quid pro quo, the extent to which Trump was compromised — and may remain so — should concern Congress and the voters.

Was Trump trying to keep on Putin’s good side to advance his deal? Did he think Putin was someone the United States could do business with because he was seeking to do business with Russians? Trump’s effort to conceal his finances and mislead the public about business dealings, with a foe of the United States no less, may have affected his rhetoric and decisions in ways we have yet to discover.

As we learn more about Trump’s Russian dealings, his actions in trying to shut down the investigation become more understandable. “These new emails make the obstruction charge more substantial, because it gives heavier context to the cover-up,” says Fordham law professor Jed Shugerman. “There was fire under all that smoke. The firing of Comey was already impeachable as obstruction, but it’s politically more powerful in connecting the cover-up to real corruption.”

The extent of Trump’s political and legal jeopardy slowly comes into focus with new, daily discoveries. Clint Watts, a former FBI special agent (who has testified on Russian meddling) and now a fellow with the Foreign Policy Research Institute, tells me, “Trump’s claims to have nothing to do with Russia are clearly false with revelations Cohen emailed the Kremlin directly to gain support for a Trump Tower Moscow.

Trump’s laudatory comments of Putin came at times when Trump’s companies also sought Kremlin-assisted business help.” He continues, “Some will interpret Felix Sater’s comments as over-the-top salesmanship leading to no direct connections with the Kremlin. But why would Sater believe he would get ‘Putin on this program’ and that the Kremlin could get Trump elected?” Unless Sater chooses to take the Fifth Amendment, we won’t have to guess; Mueller’s team will no doubt question him and include the findings in his final report.

Some in Congress are disturbed that Trump himself has not been forthcoming or, indeed, has been misleading about his Russia dealings. Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (Md.), ranking Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, tells me, “If this new report is true, why wasn’t this disclosed sooner? Why, like so many times before, are the American people forced to find out new details about the President’s relationship with Russians from strong investigative reporting instead of from the President himself?”

All of this comes in the context of Trump’s eagerness during the campaign for Russia to hack and release Hillary Clinton’s emails. “[The Cohen] emails came at a time when Russia’s hacking teams breached the DNC and numerous other American targets and Russian media began promoting Trump even though he seemed nothing more than a reality TV star looking for attention,” Watts observes. “For those that continue to deny Russian meddling, I can’t imagine what additional evidence they would need to know that Russia sought to elect Trump, and Team Trump wasn’t adverse to it, and maybe even hopeful for it.”

The interaction of Trump’s personal finances with foreign powers should also remind Congress and voters that Trump continues to receive money through his businesses from foreign governments, be they be in the form of bookings at his hotel or benefits derived from expedited trademarks. This is the essence of financial corruption — when someone benefits financially because of his official position. The extent to which it affects judgments on policy issues invariably remains murky. And in the case of Trump — who assumes anyone who likes him and treats him well is a “good guy” — the combination of personal finances and presidential powers is unconscionable.

Republicans have refused to address this issue in any serious way, allowing the conflicts to fester and Trump’s finances to remain opaque. Congress has the power to legislate — to disallow emoluments, require divestiture of businesses, bar relatives (with their own holdings) from serving in government and mandate disclosure of tax returns. In failing to take any action, Republicans are complicit in Trump’s debasement of the presidency and of our democracy.

So long as Republicans retain the majority in both houses, the problem will deepen. Either their indulgence of Trump or their majorities must go if we are to reestablish normal government and reject foreign corruption of our political system.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri … e#comments

Board footer