You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think most here are fine with a hunting rifle, a pistol or a shot gun what people don't like are these guns that have 30-100 round magazines and can modified to full auto.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I have no interest in the preppers or wannabes. But the 2nd amendment is a thing in America. And no one has offered a solution that wouldn’t violate the 2nd amendment or prevent these shootings. Anyone of us could spend an hour on the internet and make a bomb that would harm a lot more than 600 people.

In fairness the Muslim ban didn't solve anything either, but Einstein himself, I mean Trump signed an EO to implement it.

Uhmmm, I'm not a gun guy at all, admittedly, but I think background checks, registration, waiting period, and a ban on high powered assault rifles and mod kits from being sold online are a start. YT should block videos explaining how to hook these AR mods up if they haven't already. I also think you probably shouldn't be able to buy higher powered rifles until your 25 could've helped almost all other cases, just not Vegas.

Anyway, hey look these may not have solved much of these, but there should be a talk about it, not just adamantly saying No to everything, which is essentially the NRAs stance.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I think most here are fine with a hunting rifle, a pistol or a shot gun what people don't like are these guns that have 30-100 round magazines and can modified to full auto.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Weren't the only 2 quasi Muslim mass shootings Orlando & San Bernadino?  I don't think they outnumber Columbine, Vegas, VA Tech, Newtown & the Batman/Colorado shooting, among others.

I say 'quasi' cause I think its a stretch to say they were really islamic shootings as opposed to just being flat out crazy.

I’m not talking just about gun fire. I don’t live in fear of a bomb going off, a drunk driver or being shot. I’m not a gun guy. I’m not an nra member nor do I have a concealed carry license. I shoot my bolt action hunting rifle twice a year, - before hunting season to ensure my scope didn’t get bumped and during hunting season.

I have no interest in the preppers or wannabes. But the 2nd amendment is a thing in America. And no one has offered a solution that wouldn’t violate the 2nd amendment or prevent these shootings. Anyone of us could spend an hour on the internet and make a bomb that would harm a lot more than 600 people.

Make everyone pay to get a license, take a safety course, charge a yearly tax on weapons to discourage massive arsenals, take a personality test. Lots of ways to make things safer.

We can't get the left to agree to requiring a driver's license to vote and you think requiring a tax, license and course will pass SCOTUS?

Are we talking theory or realistic solutions?  Cause if I was emperor, you couldn't vote if you didn't own property, have a high school diploma or pay federal taxes.  But I'm not emperor and no law like that would ever make it past SCOTUS.

Randall Flagg

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

In fairness the Muslim ban didn't solve anything either, but Einstein himself, I mean Trump signed an EO to implement it.

Uhmmm, I'm not a gun guy at all, admittedly, but I think background checks, registration, waiting period, and a ban on high powered assault rifles and mod kits from being sold online are a start. YT should block videos explaining how to hook these AR mods up if they haven't already. I also think you probably shouldn't be able to buy higher powered rifles until your 25 could've helped almost all other cases, just not Vegas.

Anyway, hey look these may not have solved much of these, but there should be a talk about it, not just adamantly saying No to everything, which is essentially the NRAs stance.

No other amendment requires one to be 25 to exercise it.  No way this gets through scotus, and how many shooters have been under the age of 25?  I'm sorry, this is feel good nonsense that won't impact the risk.  You guys are claiming I can walk into a gun show and buy a full auto weapon (nevermind that you can't name a single mass shooting or even recent shooting that involved full auto), yet somehow raising the age to 25 will change this?  Why don't we just out law heroin or underage drinking.  I'm sure if we did that no one would shoot heroin or drink under the age of 21 either.

Randall Flagg

Fantastic video

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You're not getting rid of the 2nd amendment. Let's pretend that a government that cant agree on anything is able to do it. Then you have a civil war on your hands. People on both sides spaz out just at the mention of Trump walking up a flight of stairs. Can you imagine the spaz out when they come to take your guns?

Its not just republicans that own guns. People can pretend so til the cows come home but its not reality.

Been a long time since I brushed up on amendments but wouldn't they have to get rid of one or two others to actually seize the guns? NEVER happening.

A few things can be done that aren't so dramatic. Stop acting like you need a machine gun to kill deer and ducks. It's idiotic and never should've been allowed. Anyone who says they need one of these guns to hunt never should've got one in the first place. They're too stupid to own weapons.  Flagg, I don't give a rat's rump how many attacks have happened with these types of guns. It's a talking point. They aren't needed. Period.

There needs to be a limit on how many guns each person can own....and no loopholes. If someone needs a license to drive, you can also get one to own guns.

Prison sentences for people involved in tragedies. Your 5 year old blew his/her head off when playing with your gun? You can go rot in prison for 5-10 years and think about the consequences of your stupid actions.  No deals. 5 years minimum and before anyone says it....yes...build a few more prisons if necessary.

This would never happen unfortunately but just like with voting, I want IQ tests in place. If you're too stupid to pass go, you don't collect 200 dollars.

There is one thing that might sound impossible but is certainly feasible.....

You have to change the culture. We already know such culture shifts are possible. When you can convince a bunch of middle class white kids to start listening to gangsta rap, wear their pants down to their ankles, flash gang signs, and talk about niggas, pigs, and hoes like they live in downtown Compton, anything is possible.

Shaming is one approach. Maybe some ad campaigns talking about how guns are phallic symbols for guys with small dicks that need to project, insinuate that guys who feel the need to carry guns are pussies and even show women laughing at guys who pull out guns, etc. How many guys do you know that would carry and/or play with guns if a small dick joke was right around the corner? Answer: NONE.

Thug/Gangsta culture ending. Should've ended long ago(shouldve never went mainstream actually) but have the media phase this nonsense out. Don't allow it to be so high on pop culture's radar.

Would this solve the problem completely? No but it would have a huge impact.

Randall Flagg

What state can I hunt with a machine gun, James?

I’m not a reactionary. I base my opinions on the facts and statistics. And the reality is that all rifles account for less than 3% of firearms murders.

We’ve had what, 100 people killed take or give in the last year due to mass shootings with an assault weapon?  That’s less than 1% of annual firearm fatalities.

I’m all about having a meaningful discussion on firearm murders and what can we do to keep guns out of the hands of the wrong people and punish those caught weilding them. But I’m always going to side with freedom and avoid hysterics and ploys for more government control.

If you think the patriot act was a mistake, you should pay attention to the ideas and narratives being pushed now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

What state can I hunt with a machine gun, James?

You know what I meant. People aren't literally hunting with those guns. HUnting is the main reason used for needing all these guns...as well as protecting your home from robbers. Did the narrative change recently?

It doesn't change my point. Those guns are not needed by anyone for anything. If someone wants to play with those guns, go join the military.

That’s less than 1% of annual firearm fatalities.

Even if it drops to zero percent, the general public does not need access to those weapons.

Randall Flagg

I personally don’t see the benefit in outlawing the least used weapon in crime. I don’t think we should ban rap music or Hollywood films that glorify violence. Crimes of all kinds are down. It’s never been safer to live in America. The only thing that’s changed is the 24/7 coverage.

But if you have a plan to recover the 100 million or so assault rifles in the hands of law abiding citizens, go for it.

Board footer