You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: US Politics Thread

James wrote:

I never said we should ban rap music. Just take it off the pedestal it never belonged on in the first place.

But if you have a plan to recover the 100 million or so assault rifles in the hands of law abiding citizens, go for it.

We're never getting rid of those.

Just because we don't get rid of them all doesn't mean we need a constant, new, never ending supply.

They don't have to be recovered. Just get them back where they belong...in their closets and in the background. This aspect of the issue can be achieved.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Fantastic video

He is right on somethings but also pulls the technical bullshit and semantics on others.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

The guy had enough explosives from what they said to kill at least as many people. You guys are wasting your time trying to feel better by passing laws that won't do a thing to address the problem.

The second amendment isn't only about hunting guys.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The guy had enough explosives from what they said to kill at least as many people. You guys are wasting your time trying to feel better by passing laws that won't do a thing to address the problem.

Is your answer to do nothing? So in your opinion doing nothing is the same as doing something. It has no effect? I agree there isn't a ton you can do but you can make it harder. Anything can be regulated.

The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee you a right to own an AR15 with a bump stock. Just like in 1986 or 1987 we deemed it didn't give you the right to own a full automatic.

We have a gun disease in the country. I am a gun owner, but too many take it to the extreme.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Is your answer to do nothing? So in your opinion doing nothing is the same as doing something. It has no effect? I agree there isn't a ton you can do but you can make it harder. Anything can be regulated.

The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee you a right to own an AR15 with a bump stock. Just like in 1986 or 1987 we deemed it didn't give you the right to own a full automatic.

We have a gun disease in the country. I am a gun owner, but too many take it to the extreme.

I am not nor have I ever been a gun owner, but I do believe in the rights given by the constitution. They are there for a reason and it takes a lot to change them for a reason.

Yes, nothing is the only choice until someone comes up with a viable plan that will actually accomplish something. Everyone says do something but not one person has come up with something of any substance. We need money for so many things in this country but people want to waste time and money trying to fix something that cannot be fixed. That is idiotic. You can't fix evil.  No law, no rule, no declarations, and no amount of money can fix it.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I am not nor have I ever been a gun owner, but I do believe in the rights given by the constitution. They are there for a reason and it takes a lot to change them for a reason.

Yes, nothing is the only choice until someone comes up with a viable plan that will actually accomplish something. Everyone says do something but not one person has come up with something of any substance. We need money for so many things in this country but people want to waste time and money trying to fix something that cannot be fixed. That is idiotic. You can't fix evil.  No law, no rule, no declarations, and no amount of money can fix it.

Wrong. If Bump stocks were never made legal not nearly as many people die the other night. All his guns were purchased LEGALLY.  Including the bumpstock. The bumpstock made his guns in theory because they were full auto. I don't like your reasoning. It is as if you have given up.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Smoking Guns wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Wrong. If Bump stocks were never made legal not nearly as many people die the other night. All his guns were purchased LEGALLY.  Including the bumpstock. The bumpstock made his guns in theory because they were full auto. I don't like your reasoning. It is as if you have given up.

Bump stocks weren’t made legal. They’re legal because of a design technicality. In case you forgot, congress passed the assault weapons ban in 94. It was utterly useless because politicians and people yelling “do something” know dick about guns. So the manufactures changed a couple parts and circumvented the law. The same thing would happen if they tried it again.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think to say nothing can be done is ridiculous, even if it's just baby steps. Obama I believe (one of you may know the details better than me) passed a bill making it much harder for people with mental illnesses to buy guns. The fact that wasn't already a law is scary enough but it is evidence that something constructive could be done. Trump has since revoked it.

If someone is hell bent on committing something like this then yes it is difficult to stop completely but surely making them harder to achieve would be progress, no? 

I realise I come from the UK so I do admittedly find the US's gun fetish a bit baffling but how anyone can argue the need for assault rifles at home is beyond me. The train of thought that outlawing a weapon that can injure and kill 600 people in 10 minutes in the middle of one of the most iconic streets in the world is somehow violating them of their rights I find staggering.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

A Private Eye wrote:

I think to say nothing can be done is ridiculous, even if it's just baby steps. Obama I believe (one of you may know the details better than me) passed a bill making it much harder for people with mental illnesses to buy guns. The fact that wasn't already a law is scary enough but it is evidence that something constructive could be done. Trump has since revoked it.

If someone is hell bent on committing something like this then yes it is difficult to stop completely but surely making them harder to achieve would be progress, no? 

I realise I come from the UK so I do admittedly find the US's gun fetish a bit baffling but how anyone can argue the need for assault rifles at home is beyond me. The train of thought that outlawing a weapon that can injure and kill 600 people in 10 minutes in the middle of one of the most iconic streets in the world is somehow violating them of their rights I find staggering.

This is the problem. Misinformation. This is exactly what the video I posted talked about. Obama didn’t do anything. His EO applied to people on government disability for mental defects that needed a 3rd party to manage their affairs.

The ACLU sued him, and before it got to the courts Trump stopped it. But Obama didn’t do anything about mental illness. He’s the guy that changed the law so we have to call the mentally ill by their preferred pronoun remember?

Board footer