You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

If this monstrosity passes, the next move will be to attack social security and medicare. They'll come forward and say that we're looking at big deficits, and added debt, so we're going to have to make cuts. Wait and see...I guarantee it.

What we're watching tonight is a political group who owe their donors. They will pummel the lower income, and middle class in order to repay their debts. Not just now, but for years to come. Then they'll attack their safety nets next. It reminds me of the GOP going after UE benefits during the great recession. Just downright evil. But this is much worse because it will widen the gap between rich/poor and exacerbate income inequality in this country.

This. All of this.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Would this take effect immediately ?

I would figure it takes place effective 2018 filings (April 2019) at the earliest. Accountants would need a grace period to learn to new rates & rules. Just mho

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I honestly feel sick to my stomach this morning. Almost everyone i know and care about will be hurt by this. Even my own employees. No one was paying attention to this...

My parents are middle class and now they’ll likely pay a bit more every year for the next few years.

My own employees will be paying more attention n taxes and i could effectively be paying zero in taxes even though i make considerably more than them.

How the fuck does this help the average trump supporter? Why do i always feel like you need to be saved from yourself?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Of course it’ll likely take effect in 2019 so that the tax hike won’t be felt right away to affect the midterm elections. I could be wrong on that, I haven’t seen those details.

We make enough in our household that we won’t feel huge hikes, but my elderly parents will and so will my working class brother and his family.

But we all will feel something, mainly because of the back-door health-care mini-repeal.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

But we all will feel something, mainly because of the back-door health-care mini-repeal.

Yeah, so did they remove the mandate?

Awful. Agreed its a backdoor way of trying to bring down the Affordable Care Act. With less young/healthy people on a health insurance plan, obviously it'll be a huge detriment. There should be an ultimatum, be on Obamacare otherwise if you have serious illness you're just SOL & will have to resort to Robitussun for whatever ailments you come down with.

If people think the Walmartization of American has been bad, just wait'll the Amazonization over the next 5-10 years, it's going to become atrocious. Plus AI. I think it's just getting warmed up. Manual labors going out the window. Of course, a few coal mining jobs is sure to save the economy in working class rural America.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Yeah, so did they remove the mandate?

Awful. Agreed its a backdoor way of trying to bring down the Affordable Care Act. With less young/healthy people on a health insurance plan, obviously it'll be a huge detriment. There should be an ultimatum, be on Obamacare otherwise if you have serious illness you're just SOL & will have to resort to Robitussun for whatever ailments you come down with.

If people think the Walmartization of American has been bad, just wait'll the Amazonization over the next 5-10 years, it's going to become atrocious. Plus AI. I think it's just getting warmed up. Manual labors going out the window. Of course, a few coal mining jobs is sure to save the economy in working class rural America.

Yes...keep those coal mining jobs coming. An outdated source of energy obtained by low-skilled labor that get paid pennies on the dollar compared to what the energy providers get for the coal.

Maybe on second thought this is exactly what Trump supporters deserve...they're too stupid and too inept to do any of their own research. They might not even notice their taxes went up.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I read a stat that more people work in the bowling industry than the coal mining industry. Just goes to show you how minor a niche it is & was more a PR thing than truly an economy booster.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

You guys bring a smile to my face.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/abc-corrects … 40329.html

I know, I know. Next time maybe. Also really interested to know how the GOP tax bill fucks any of you or your friends. Where was this concern with the ACA and all the middle class people who had their premiums spiked so 2-3 people out of every million can get their dicks cut off.

But I guess they had to pass it to know what’s in it. Can we at least all agree it was a bipartisan bill since a democrat sat in a single meeting once?  I just want consistency in logical reasoning.

johndivney wrote:

On some level you have to admire the realpolitiking of the republicans. There was a ruthlessness to the manner of the execution, & the unrelated amendments. It feels like a historic moment, a real victory/coup for them. The impact will be profound in shaping the immediate future. & it is progress in the most absurd sense. Seems like a crazy moment, much more than another lurch to the right, it has the scope to shape America’s future (& the corporate world’s) for generations. The sheer weight & drama of what they’ve pulled off could well be historic in its implications.

I guess I just wasn’t made for these times..

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

But I guess they had to pass it to know what’s in it. Can we at least all agree it was a bipartisan bill since a democrat sat in a single meeting once?  I just want consistency in logical reasoning.

Not even remotely the same thing.

Also nobody ever said that.

Board footer