You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

My state pulled it off!  We said fuck you Steve Bannon!!

I’m glad you’re feeling good SG. Now the question is how much of this is about Trump and how much was about Moore being who he is.

Was about Moore being an idiot. I don’t see this being about Trump.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

My state pulled it off!  We said fuck you Steve Bannon!!

I’m glad you’re feeling good SG. Now the question is how much of this is about Trump and how much was about Moore being who he is.

Was about Moore being an idiot. I don’t see this being about Trump.

I heard Moore is refusing to concede. Pretty sure he wouldn't concede no matter the results or margin. Lotsa bravado in this one....

I wonder if he rode his horse home from the voting booth...

It is about Trump insofar as he backed another loser.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

This is very much about Trump. Moore is clearly a disaster of a human being, but this is also about Trump, and frankly the GOP who didn't speak up against Moore en masse.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

His is more one Bannon, I think. Trump didn’t even like Moore.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Yea, I don’t see how this was about Trump, but some people are going to see what they want. Pretending this wasn’t almost exclusively about Moore is missing what this was about. Jones didn’t win because he won the voters over, he won because Moore was a sleaze.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/alabama-se … 1513139661

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Yea, I don’t see how this was about Trump, but some people are going to see what they want. Pretending this wasn’t almost exclusively about Moore is missing what this was about. Jones didn’t win because he won the voters over, he won because Moore was a sleaze.

So you’re saying it doesn’t matter if Trump endorses people that lose?

Moore was a sleaze then and he’s a sleaze now.

I think if he’s not careful, it’ll start to look like he only endorsed losers.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So you’re saying it doesn’t matter if Trump endorses people that lose?

Moore was a sleaze then and he’s a sleaze now.

I think if he’s not careful, it’ll start to look like he only endorsed losers.

Oh, of course it matters. For the very reason you mentioned. But Trump endorsed the other guy in the primary, and only endorsed Moore in the past week or so.

I’m just saying the end result, as close as it was, was because enough people realized Roy Moore is a horrible human being. Not because of a referendum on Trump. This loss was all Roy Moore and people being motivated to vote against the allegations against him. Had it been the current senator appointed to replace Sessions, it’d been a rout in the GOPs favor. If you acknowledge that, you can’t also then say it’s Trump’s fault. He was just too fucking stupid to stay away from this, so now he has the taint of loss on him.

It’s a win for democrats, don’t get me wrong. But it also robs them of making Moore comparisons in every race next year as the WSJ pointed out.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Unless we get away from the extremes on both sides and more towards the center, who wins any of these elections is irrelevant.  Having extremist  democrats in charge is every bit as bad as having extremist republicans in charge. The answer isn't and never will be on one side or the other.

Randall Flagg

So we've all heard about the possible conflict of interests in some FBI agents who investigated Clinton and are looking at Trump's campaign.  Republicans to include Lindsey Grahm, are starting to run with it.  Whether or not you think the idea has merit, the Democrats are in unison that it's perfectly fine for FBI agents investigating two presidential candidates to openly favor one.

So I found this headline and article incredibly funny, akin to all those Democrats who demanded Comey be fired before Trump did so, then cried outrage.

https://thinkprogress.org/cop-at-center … cab1a00c9/

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Just chiming in back on last night, big win for Jones. His campaign had to have worked very hard, and it was well earned.

As to what is says, well imho it says alot about Moore in that he lost. It does say something about Trump in that a Republican that he aggresively backed in recent weeks lost IN ALABAMA. That isn't good. If it were Ohio or California, or Florida, ok you could toss it aside & say well the guy was accused of accosting a 14 year old. But this was the reddest of the red, and Trump pretty much campagined for him, and robo called. It does say that he might be losing the middle right Republicans.

It also speaks to the GOP. in that the far right may win primaries, but its a scary thought to think they can lose Alabama in the general. They need to weed out the crazy, and McConnell flip flopping on Moore is a sign of weakness he won't shake. And yeah Bannons agenda has to go, he's gotta be far removed from political candidates. He's toxic and they know it. The  Dems have to be careful tho and not swing too far themselves, they're getting cocky & might get moreso with more #MeToo, Trump accusers, and pre-emptive impeachment talks. They gotta let the Russia thing play out, and if somethings there then address it. But not celebrate too early or jump the gun on it. Otherwise it'll become the boy who cried wolf.

And Flagg yeah the FBI texting thing is a bit too far for me. In fairness Mueller released the guy once he discovered them, and Mueller himself was a W appointed FBI head from 2001. Republicans can re-open the Hillary case if they want, I fail to see how it will help them however? Hilary is not in office. Probably won't re-seek the office. Maybe it could tarnish a possible Chelsea entry into politics in 5-10 years. But again, what's it really gonna do?

I think both parties are back at square 1. I think the Trump train was a fluke, just angry Republicans, mixed with Hillary who had her flaws with the emails, and trust/transparency. Also the Bernie meteoric rise was unexpected, but in fairness to her left her with disillusioned millenials hoping for free healthcare & college. I also think African Americans maybe didn't "hate" Trump, as they viewed him as a celebrity, a guy who made it, was rich, but also in a way a "boss" they were hoping to get a job from. However now that his office has led to a pretty anti-AA agenda, they woke a sleeping dragon. The AA turnout in 'Bama was just as high as Obama 08 & 12. Which is pretty impressive, I'm sure it meant alot to alot of them just to actually vote for an AA President, even knowing he'd lose their state. I remember seeing a guy at my polling place with his son, prolly 5 or 8 at the time. He went with him into the polling booth I imagine to let him be the one to pull the lever. Kindof a cool thought but you think how much that did mean. I think alot just skipped 16.

You gotta figure if Trump hadn't won the GOP primary in 16, no candidate was going to win. Zero shot. Which has gotta be a pretty scary thought for Repubs they're factoring back in now. It was a hail mary that won, however I really don't think its panning out very well. Are they going to win any younger or minority votes in the future? I know 2-3 years ago I said the same thing but you gotta begin to question was Trump just a Republican anomoly? If he did run in 2020, and lets say it occured today & little comes out of the Russia thing, do you really think middle-right republicans are going to re-vote for him?  Or would they sit this one out. His approval rating have gone down significantly in his first year. On the flip side though, Dems need to find a solid candidate of their own, and ease the hard left leanings. It'll bring themselves down unneccesarily.

Board footer