You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Also Flagg, isn't Thinkprogress a pretty known left leaning site?  That'd be like me linking Redstate or Breitbart.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Also, extremely weak move by Moore to not concede. Lame. That makes it even worse to think people voted for that guy, he has no class nor integrity.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

Also Flagg, isn't Thinkprogress a pretty known left leaning site?  That'd be like me linking Redstate or Breitbart.

It totally is. That’s why I find it so funny. When I say far left, I’m talking about outlets just like this. They’re worse than Breitbart (not that anyone should use it - I’m really starting to like Axios) because they flat out distort the truth rather than just find some obscure event and try to pretend it’s common (think the knock out game a few years ago).

I disagree that Clinton was a shoein against anyone but Trump. Granted Mi and Wi probably would have stayed blue, but I think a Kasich or Rubio could have still pulled off Pa and Va. I still don’t think people realize how toxic she was to a lot of Americans. She wasn’t likeable like her husband and never came across as authentic. Say what you will about Trump, but when you hear him speak, there’s little doubt he believes what he’s saying. Everything Clinton said came across as scripted.

I really think we need to re-evaluate the primary system. It favors the most outrageous candidates, especially in early states. You’re going to see 20 Democrats running in 2020 like you saw Republicans in 2016. And that’s going to force them to try and one up each other on who’s the most progressive, which will hurt them in the general election.

You can’t have Meryl Streep mock people who watch football, then use her as a surrogate for your campaign and wonder why blue collar voters stayed away.

2018 will be interesting, but the Dems have yet to find a policy to rally behind. Campaigning on “fuck Trump” is only going to cement the voters you already had. I genuinely think if Schumer worked with the GOP on immigration and infrastructure, they’d have a much higher chance of gaining control.

What they can’t do is pull a Bannon and run the most extreme candidates against incumbents. Jones nearly lost to a dangerous moron because he said he favored late term abortions. Something already illegal in almost every state and certainly not something going to get changed in Alabama. All he had to do is say he respects the right of individuals to make a personal choice and move on. It’s stupid shit like that, that will hurt Democrats.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah both sides are at a tipping point, and need to cave to the middle not the extremes. I've seen Axios a bit in recent weeks, maybe its been linked here but definitely seems to be gaining momentum.

I forgot about Kasich, he likely could've had a shot if things panned out his way. (Keep in mind without Trump there wasn't a DNC wikileak, haha). Rubio I don't think would've won, based on experience. Hillary would've drilled him on it. Myb if Rubio/Kasich (and it probably would've been that) but I think Kasich/Rubio had a much better shot. Someone here posted years ago they were from Florida & hated Rubio. Said he was a farce who was just a nobody the Republicans prompted up to show they too have a minority candidate (Bobby Jindal anyone?) to counter Obama. Might've even been during Mitts 2012 run, but it was just for show. Then like a year later he gave the post-State Of The Union retort. I'll admit he's become ok, and likely has a shot at a long future in politics, 2020 or 2024 run.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Jim Jordan and Trey Gowdy are freaking unbelievable. Both very compelling.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Oh god what now?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I’m impressed with and agree with a lot of the analysis being done here.

Take everything out of it and focus on the fact that Democrats shouldn’t win in Alabama. They eagerly voted for Trump a year ago. He’s not that different from Moore. In the span of a year, they overwhelmingly voted for Trump and then voted for a “liberal democrat.”

I’m still having trouble wrapping my mind around that.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Take everything out of it and focus on the fact that Democrats shouldn’t win in Alabama. They eagerly voted for Trump a year ago. He’s not that different from Moore. In the span of a year, they overwhelmingly voted for Trump and then voted for a “liberal democrat.”

Nobody had any faith in my state! And my state came through for the good of all. Now if the sex charges didn’t exist Moore probably wins, but still, it is very impressive.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Oh god what now?

Rosenstein is before the committee. They definitely are good at making people on Mueller’s team looking very biased.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I agree.

Board footer