You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:

Here...I'm gonna give Trump (or someone in his admin) credit...

I'm glad they're taking away funding from Pakistan. They've been playing both sides of the table for too long There a couple other countries in that region that they should do the same with.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I think the legalization of pot might face resistance from Big Pharma and the prison industrial complex. That might be a problem. I assume they lobby and give generously to folks on both sides of the aisle, but both probably favor Republicans, which is why I'm wary now that Sessions has made his stance known.

I think Trump could be talked into just about anything, and renewing the war on drugs would be a win for him with his base (evangelicals and whatnot), but he could be a bigger hero by making pot legal. I almost hope he doesn't realize that. Finally getting pot legal could easily win him re-election. Although I think he'll win anyway ...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

So on the first page of Wolff's book, he says "Many of the accounts of what has happened in the Trump White House are in conflict with one another; many in Trumpian fashion, are baldly untrue.  Those conflicts, and the looseness with the truth, if not with reality itself, are an elemental thread of this book.  Sometimes I have let the players offer their versions, in turn allowing the reader to judge them.  In other instances I have, through a consistency in accounts and through sources I have come to trust, settled on a version of events I believe to be true."

Totally reliable book, in other words.  You think SLC will even read the book or he was done after he found the first article that said something he liked?

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

So on the first page of Wolff's book, he says "Many of the accounts of what has happened in the Trump White House are in conflict with one another; many in Trumpian fashion, are baldly untrue.  Those conflicts, and the looseness with the truth, if not with reality itself, are an elemental thread of this book.  Sometimes I have let the players offer their versions, in turn allowing the reader to judge them.  In other instances I have, through a consistency in accounts and through sources I have come to trust, settled on a version of events I believe to be true."

Totally reliable book, in other words.  You think SLC will even read the book or he was done after he found the first article that said something he liked?

I think that’s a beautiful way to describe what’s gone on with the Trump candidacy and presidency. They created an alternative universe where down is up and up is down. They didn’t like the rules of the game so they changed the game.

I don’t think it’s that hard to believe that a lot of the Trump admin and base are pretty disconnected with reality. That’s what makes it so easy to consistently lie and spin doctor EVERYTHING even when there’s no ready to.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'm glad they're taking away funding from Pakistan. They've been playing both sides of the table for too long There a couple other countries in that region that they should do the same with.

Wow, look at Mitch saying something positive!  Over all, most Americans lives are okay and or getting better but Trump is so hated, nobody notices.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Wow, look at Mitch saying something positive!  Over all, most Americans lives are okay and or getting better but Trump is so hated, nobody notices.

This is mostly true.

And it’s been that way since Obama took office, but he was so hated, nobody noticed.

We had the lowest point of our lives at the tail end of W’s presidency with the great recession. It’s been uphill ever since. Obama is a huge part of that. The jury is out on Trump, although in 2017 we didn’t create jobs the way we have since 2010. That’s if you care about job numbers, but I remember the “weak” job numbers for Obama being mentioned here a lot. Trump’s aren’t yet as good.

I am getting a tax break. I’ll take it. But i’m putting that money away; I won’t be spending more. I’m preparing for the next recession.

The tax bill might increase health insurance too, and that affects everyone. That’s no good.

So yes, the world hasn’t ended under Trump yet (although he seems to have an itchy nuclear button finger), but that doesn’t make him or his administration competent in the least. We’re likely doing well in spite of him.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Bigbri had a great answer and beat me to it. You continuously shit on Obama for eight years, now you're crying about Trump not getting credit... For Obama's economy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don't get your point. Don't most books do that? Let them talk and sort it out yourself? Trump's WH lies, this we know.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I don't get your point. Don't most books do that? Let them talk and sort it out yourself? Trump's WH lies, this we know.

Wolff is acknowledging some of the quotes he presents are false. Others are his best idea of what happened. NBC beat him up this morning. I bought the book. Already started reading it on my shit breaks. But nothing in it is credible, least of all the notion Bannon is rolling on Trump like SLC came in here to post before going away again.

That’s my point. The idea this book is some tell all and proves anything other than Trump runs/ran a dysfunctional organization is bunk. It certainly doesn’t help the “collusion” narrative a certain someone was hoping for.

But I hope everyone reads it. Nothing worse than having an opinion on a book you didn’t read. Well, besides taking someone else’s opinion who didn’t read the full thing as your own.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
misterID wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Wolff is acknowledging some of the quotes he presents are false. Others are his best idea of what happened. NBC beat him up this morning. I bought the book. Already started reading it on my shit breaks. But nothing in it is credible, least of all the notion Bannon is rolling on Trump like SLC came in here to post before going away again.

That’s my point. The idea this book is some tell all and proves anything other than Trump runs/ran a dysfunctional organization is bunk. It certainly doesn’t help the “collusion” narrative a certain someone was hoping for.

But I hope everyone reads it. Nothing worse than having an opinion on a book you didn’t read. Well, besides taking someone else’s opinion who didn’t read the full thing as your own.

That’s silly. You can’t have it both ways (not you). Either the book is non-fiction or fiction. If you make up quotes, it’s fiction.

He has tapes of his interviews. I’d like to know what is real and is fake. But i don’t see him releasing them unless he starts getting challenged on specific points.

Still on the fence about buying it.

Board footer