You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Here’s how i look at it SG...it’s welfare money that subsidies states with shitty employment practices and protections.

When an employer pays a wage that is sub-poverty level the feds tend to send more money to subsidize those areas of depression. The problem is it allows the bad practices to continue....but what cane first? The chicken or the egg.

The point is...whether this happens in Alabama or NY...it’s a shame....i don’t care what state it’s in....it’s a problem

They keep saying that "Alabama and Mississippi are mooching off of us etc".  Really rich of them to talk about poor southern states that were gutted from the civil war and shit not being on the same level as the state of New York, or New Jersey, or California..

Just want to point out that the argument that black people are still recovering from the Civil War (slavery) has been met with unenthusiastic response around here, maybe even you I don't remember, but you are arguing entire states haven't recovered fully from the Civil War.

Could be true.

Interesting observation...however i think there’s an element of sour grapes and a rejection of the ways of the north. There’s a deep rooted idea of society and hierarchies that exist in many areas of the south that might actually be a big counter productive to economic goals.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I looked at the map. All of them. There are many stories to be told here and they don’t all agree with what the officials from NY and NJ are saying.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Here’s how i look at it SG...it’s welfare money that subsidies states with shitty employment practices and protections.

When an employer pays a wage that is sub-poverty level the feds tend to send more money to subsidize those areas of depression. The problem is it allows the bad practices to continue....but what cane first? The chicken or the egg.

The point is...whether this happens in Alabama or NY...it’s a shame....i don’t care what state it’s in....it’s a problem

They keep saying that "Alabama and Mississippi are mooching off of us etc".  Really rich of them to talk about poor southern states that were gutted from the civil war and shit not being on the same level as the state of New York, or New Jersey, or California..

Just want to point out that the argument that black people are still recovering from the Civil War (slavery) has been met with unenthusiastic response around here, maybe even you I don't remember, but you are arguing entire states haven't recovered fully from the Civil War.

Could be true.

I disagree that the South suffers. There’s a difference between being left behind and choosing a style of life. If you’re living 50 miles outside of Biloxi and long for culture and concrete jungles, you’re in the wrong place. There’s plenty of urban metropolis’ in the south. Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Nashville, and New Orleans. Industry and manufacturing gigs have depleted everywhere, and there can only be one NYC, LA and DC. The South has Miami.

I lived 2 years in Augusta and El Paso each. Not claiming to be an expert, but those people enjoy their lifestyles. It’s true outside of Memphis and Huntsville too. You’re not going to have a median income of 70k when you live 500 yards from your closest neighbor and have to drive to the general store for bread 15 miles away. Some people like that lifestyle, and they shouldn’t be considered “left behind” because they don’t fret at the loss of grubhub and uber.

This is the line of thought that encourages the concept of “fly over” country that cost Hillary the election. Democrats forgot about these folks. I love Pittsburgh, but if I hit the power ball you bet your ass I’d be living on a ranch in Colorado.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Could be true.

Interesting observation...however i think there’s an element of sour grapes and a rejection of the ways of the north. There’s a deep rooted idea of society and hierarchies that exist in many areas of the south that might actually be a big counter productive to economic goals.

Bingo

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Who are the mayors of many of the southern big cities that have high crime and poverty? New Orleans? Atlanta? Memphis, Birmingham....  good ole Dems. A lot of black mayors yet the cities Still blame the evil white man etc. Charlotte and Nashville are 2 great southern cities. Nashville is one of the hottest cities in the country. They are experiencing a big boom. Great town.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Who are the mayors of many of the southern big cities that have high crime and poverty? New Orleans? Atlanta? Memphis, Birmingham....  good ole Dems. A lot of black mayors yet the cities Still blame the evil white man etc. Charlotte and Nashville are 2 great southern cities. Nashville is one of the hottest cities in the country. They are experiencing a big boom. Great town.

There are way too many gross over generalizations occurring here. Are you saying Dems are in charge in cities and those cities are violent?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am saying you can call us moochers when the moochers are people that vote for your party at worst. The moochers comment pisses me off.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am saying you can call us moochers when the moochers are people that vote for your party at worst. The moochers comment pisses me off.

Well you tell me SG....what's it like in Alabama? I've never been....I've driven through Mississippi to get to New Orleans. What's it like?

It seems like a different country to me though....the giant crosses you can see from 15 miles away....I ate at a waffle house or something in Mississippi and there were people wearing spurs and 10 gallon cow boy hats in that place give me the up and down. And I'm white....just not the right kind of white I guess?

I also read that Alabama still had state laws on the books making interracial marriage illegal as recently as 2000.

It's the social hierarchy shit that I can't get behind. And the anti-education bit.

But god damn you got beautiful countryside down there. And a comfortable climate. I grew up in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I was up there for Christmas....guess what the temperature was? -16 degrees Fahrenheit at night.

I dunno...just tell me what it's like from your perspective.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There are way too many gross over generalizations occurring here. Are you saying Dems are in charge in cities and those cities are violent?

Holy cow, Memphis is fucking bananas. Nearly every predominantly black community with a black governing body is a corrupt clusterfuck. It's really, really awful. Atlanta is so bad that they nearly voted in a white mayor for the first time in decades. Atlanta, aka, chocolate city (their phrase, not mine). These are really vulnerable communities that get terribly taken advantage of.

But yeah, too many of my white southern brothers and sisters vote against their own interest to nauseating degrees, which I firmly believe is tied to religion more than race, but that's a whole other can of worms. Just to put it out there, slavery was very unpopular in the south, but the biggest supporters who kept everyone from starting riots (which there were many, despite what slate, salon and daily kos' anti white male propaganda feeds you) were the white southern churches.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Life in Alabama is a good life. Low cost of living. Close to the beach. Close to mountain of Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. There is a lot of old money in my town from US Steel and the builders of the city. Like it is a great place to raise a family, maybe not to visit. I live in Birmingham, but the suburbs.

Nashville and Charlotte are very nice cities. Atlanta has some nice areas but I find it too fucking big and yes there are many bad areas there too. Many from the north have moved to the south and Love it. Almost all say the people are nicer. Even blacks. Blacks up north often live a much worse life than in the south.

Board footer