You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:

So what about my concerns? the crosses? the lack of education? interracial marriage shit?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

So what about my concerns? the crosses? the lack of education? interracial marriage shit?

You see that shit by highways but it is a front. We have all kinds of interracial marriages in Birmingham and a lot of gays here too. We are like every other city. Now, out in the country, sure, you may find more homophobia and racist shit. But overall Alabama is a nice place to live. I would be more scared in West Virginia and the mountains of Kentucky in coal country.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I grew up in a big city in the north, lived in the middle of nowhere in the south for a decade, and settled in Charlotte so I've seen different perspectives.

I think the south overall gets a bit of a bad rap because of stereotyping.  Most people aren't racist.  People don't fuck their sisters and cousins.  Gay people do just fine.  The first observation my wife and I both made the first time we went back north is how hillbilly the people there were.  We lived near a big city, but far enough away where we were surrounded by corn.  There's very little difference between those people and the people in the middle of nowhere in the south.  It's a different lifestyle, mostly by choice. 

Racism exists everywhere.  Even people that aren't really racist have tendencies that people could call racist.  People hang out with people they have things in common with, so on that level, some segregation happens naturally.  I consider myself to be a social-economicist more than anything else. 

One of my friends here is gay.  He went to the football game a couple weeks ago with his boyfriend and posted some pictures of them kissing.  People around them ranged from ignoring it to high-fiving them.  That would be the reaction anywhere.  Not everyone tolerates that regardless of where you are at.  Some people aren't going to like it anywhere (short of maybe a pride parade).  Several people I work with are gay.  It hasn't hindered them professionally (at least not where we work), but I understand that wouldn't be the case everywhere.

The south has idiots.  For sure.  So does the north.  So do big cities and small farming communities.  Any group is going to have people that fit all types of profiles.  The south isn't any different than the rest of the country.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Good post Buzz.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, Pennsylvania gets pretty rural about 90 minutes outside Philly, probably less for Pittsburgh. Its guns, hunting and Trump lol.

One thing that irritates me about people in the South is they're still so hung up on 'The South' and 'The North' etc. People up north don't give a shit about pre-Civil War boundaries, and yankees, and the confederacy etc. That ended 100+ years ago. Yet Southeners & country music etc is still caught up in it like we're Puerto Rico vs Dominican Republic or something. It's like WTF.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've lived in the south for 15 years or so and there are things I still don't completely understand, but I accept it for what it is.  There are cultural things that mean something here that don't mean the same thing everywhere.  The flag...that fucking racist flag that only represents racism to some blacks and a very small number of racist white people.  The south hasn't let go of the past in a few aspects...but the culture here for better or worse is different.  Some of it is just a joke to say fuck you to people that judge them, but they believe in tradition and southern heritage/hospitality.  It's a different mindset and just because you and I don't understand it doesn't mean it's wrong.  They have different values.  Doesn't mean they are right or wrong.  They are just different.

When you're brought up a certain way (whatever that way is), it gets ingrained in you.  Your family shapes your mind when you're young.  Some people as they get older start to think for themselves or experience different cultures and expand their worldview.  One thing that was very interesting where I lived before moving to Charlotte...without doing a scientific poll, 90% of the people in that county had never been on an airplane before.  Many lived on a piece of land that was given to them as part of the family land.  Chattanooga was the big city and people hated going there.  If you haven't lived there you have no chance of understanding it.  It's not that the people are evil for believing what they believe, they literally don't know any better.  And it's not because they are stupid; they just haven't seen the rest of the world.  They don't understand things and as a result they are afraid of them.  I'm not judging whether it's right or wrong; I'm just trying to help you understand where they are coming from. 

You can't underestimate the impact of the culture people grow up in.  If you don't get to experience other cultures, you don't get to see other perspectives.  The terrorists grow up believing that we are evil because that's how they are raised.  People grow up fans of the Yankees or Mets because they are raised to be a fan of that team by their family.  The confederacy is their culture whether you respect that or not.  That doesn't mean they want slavery back.  That doesn't mean they are all racist or bible thumpers (though those people do exist).  It was their culture before the war and it's going to continue to be their culture.  The more people try to force change on them, the more they are going to embrace it.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, Pennsylvania gets pretty rural about 90 minutes outside Philly, probably less for Pittsburgh. Its guns, hunting and Trump lol.

One thing that irritates me about people in the South is they're still so hung up on 'The South' and 'The North' etc. People up north don't give a shit about pre-Civil War boundaries, and yankees, and the confederacy etc. That ended 100+ years ago. Yet Southeners & country music etc is still caught up in it like we're Puerto Rico vs Dominican Republic or something. It's like WTF.

Shit, get on 76 and within 10 miles outside of King of Prussia you see farmland.  10 miles north of Pittsburgh and you're in farmland.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Shit, get on 76 and within 10 miles outside of King of Prussia you see farmland.  10 miles north of Pittsburgh and you're in farmland.

lol I worked out by KoP for a time. Yeah, that still ventures into the outer suburbs tho. Close to or after Reading/Allentown is where you get into 'rural/redneck' imho.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

A friend of mine lives outside Atl & went to UGA. Sweet Tea, grits & waffle house are what I remember. Crawfish I don't get, I tried them once & thought they were disgusting. I like seafood too. Southern BBQ is good. I didn't goto an authentic cookout but went to a BBQ place in Charleston once & it was decent.

I was in the Outer Banks, NC once & the last day was at Dunkin Donuts. A family popped in & the girl was about 20 said aloud "I've never been to a Dunkin Donuts before". We just all turned around and stared wide eyed & shocked. Someone asked how but she said she lived in small town Kentucky or something & just never saw one before. Pretty funny, but that could happen anywhere I'm sure.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump compromising on the illegals. This is good. It will piss off the Bannon’s and Sessions of the world.

Board footer