You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

We can't even keep our own off the streets.  No need to bring in anyone else that can't contribute...we're overflowing with that already.  It's not a racist point of view, it's socioeconomicist.  Once we have control of our own citizens, then we can start worrying about people from other countries in moderation while making sure we're still taking care of our own.

We will never have control of our own citizens.

Either you're taking the word control the wrong way or you're admitting that there's no chance we can support more people since we can't take care of our own.  I'll assume it's the former given your political leanings...

No it’s the later but i have a bit of a different interpretation....i think that the US intentionally doesn’t take care of its own. I don’t think there’s much interest in that. This is what capitalism produces.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Vermont has become the first state to legalize marijuana without going to a referendum. Kudos to the lawmakers for passing it and the Republican govenor for his plan to sign it into law. http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/11/vermo … to-pop-up/

Hopefully this continues across the country.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

We will never have control of our own citizens.

Either you're taking the word control the wrong way or you're admitting that there's no chance we can support more people since we can't take care of our own.  I'll assume it's the former given your political leanings...

No it’s the later but i have a bit of a different interpretation....i think that the US intentionally doesn’t take care of its own. I don’t think there’s much interest in that. This is what capitalism produces.

How do you think we're going to pay for taking care of our own?  Or is that not relevant and we should just do it no matter what?  And if that's the case, I assume you would support shutting off the borders and deporting all non-citizens so we can focus on taking care of our own...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

How do you think we're going to pay for taking care of our own?  Or is that not relevant and we should just do it no matter what?  And if that's the case, I assume you would support shutting off the borders and deporting all non-citizens so we can focus on taking care of our own...

That’s what I don’t get about the amnesty for all crowd. You’re exactly right. If you believe we should help raise up all of our people, you have to recognize the resource and economic requirements. Otherwise you’re just day dreaming. So if you care about Americans, then you have to care about protecting them from what would mitigate or lower their assistance.

No one wants to deport a dreamer who’s finishing up med school. Hell, I don’t know too many that want to deport any dreamer. But we can’t have an immigration policy that collectively harms our own citizens. To what complete effect is unknowable, but it’s not beyond dispute current immigration harms our people, specifically those who rely on cheap labor.

And who wants to advocate harming Americans?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don’t advocate for it in this conversation...I’m saying even under the most ideal circumstances where we get the wall and close the borders Americans will find someone else within the walls and borders to blame again. There will always be someone to point the finger at...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

If you're going to make society a contest then there has to be winners and losers.

"Taking Care Of Our Own" implies that there is a collaboration at play, rather than a competition for success.

Ideologically our systems weren't designed for everyone to be taken care of, they're based around the premise that the struggle of fighting each other for resources will lead to the greatest overall good. But that can only happen if the struggle is real and there's a real price for failure to compete.

As long as we have a system based around that type of ideology then you will never see us taking care of our own.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If I were the dems this is not a hill I'd choose to die on. Trump's comments are not only likely to rejuvenate his base but a lot of people in the middle and a lot of dems secretly agree with it. The visa program is supposed to get the cream of the crop. And no rational person thinks an influx of poverty into the US is a good thing. We should be helping those nations out, not burdening cash strapped communities with more people. You should see the mess Florida is in with the tide of Puerto Ricans that have inundated counties that can't take care of them. And those are Americans.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Here is my thing. Love your neighbor. Mexico and Canada are our neighbors. Of all immigrants, I sympathize with the Mexicans and maybe Guatemalans and Hondurans the most. First of all, these guys are stud pony workers. They are freaking awesome folks. They love family. They love soccer. They believe in the same god as most of America. We need them for our economy. So I am for sealing the border and issuing tax id’s and let the good ones work and pay taxes.

To the Asians that show up on the airplane and don’t leave? Fvck off. You are gone. To the folks from the Middle East? Go to Eastern and Western Europe, Africa etc. basically everyone else and their poors, stay out. I am down with the Mexican and a couple other Central Americans THAT ARE ALREADY HERE , because they are great folks.  The island peeps, need to send aid and help them but no, I don’t really want them here either. Just like ID said.

We tried to kick out the illegals in Alabama. Was an epic fucking disaster. Killed our economy. Had to get them back.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It would be very easy to set up a new extensive guest worker visa program for people who've been here for years and we rely ion for our economy. Some cats who have been deported recently who are successful business men and women (literally picked up at their kids affluent schools) deserve legalization, IMO.

I don't like the idea of keeping people here solely because of how well they're exploited.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

If you're going to make society a contest then there has to be winners and losers.

"Taking Care Of Our Own" implies that there is a collaboration at play, rather than a competition for success.

Ideologically our systems weren't designed for everyone to be taken care of, they're based around the premise that the struggle of fighting each other for resources will lead to the greatest overall good. But that can only happen if the struggle is real and there's a real price for failure to compete.

As long as we have a system based around that type of ideology then you will never see us taking care of our own.

This was the best post on the topic and it’s virtually been ignored so we can engage in fantasy talk about which countries have immigrants that America wants.

Board footer