You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:

It won’t be a mistake next time

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Holy shit! False Alarm, but am emergency text was sent to all hawaiians saying to see shelter a ballistic missile was in bound. Holy fuck.

Wow, after the townships in California delayed sending an alert for the mudslides, this is a pretty serious error. I for sure would be taking emergency texts pretty serious.

Then again, i suppose a text like that youd take serious no matter what. Could be why they w ere running tests tho, if thats what it was.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The most annoying thing about "shithole-gate" is that there was a real chance to get immigration reform passed and Durbin decided to run out to the press to jump on an opportunity to get some media attention. What a bitch. I derided republicans for being opportunistic instead of just working with someone you hate.

Honestly, can you imagine the shit opposition party members had on what Reagan and Bill said in closed door meetings?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

The most annoying thing about "shithole-gate" is that there was a real chance to get immigration reform passed and Durbin decided to run out to the press to jump on an opportunity to get some media attention. What a bitch. I derided republicans for being opportunistic instead of just working with someone you hate.

Honestly, can you imagine the shit opposition party members had on what Reagan and Bill said in closed door meetings?

Great point! Didn’t think of that angle.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I keep thinking of a story back in Obama's first term some assistants said Biden talked shit about Obama to John Boehner in a private meeting. Did Boehner rush to the press about it? You never heard about it because John kept his mouth shut and the story died.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I couldn't give a shit less about this immigration stuff....it ain't happening...stop holding your breath. You're making the Democrats come to the table and take any deal to keep doctors and accountants and lawyers in the country who work hard and contribute to the system with the dream act.

I say send 'em away Repugs....you're not getting a deal. I want you to send 'em all back because it'll feel so damn good to go back to your hateful constituents. and by the way...I have seen no real evidence that sending these people back will improve anyone's lives here....just ruin or degrade theirs.

This 'issue' boils down to the same petty things that they have always boiled down to in this country...."i was here first....so GTFO."

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I couldn't give a shit less about this immigration stuff....it ain't happening...stop holding your breath. You're making the Democrats come to the table and take any deal to keep doctors and accountants and lawyers in the country who work hard and contribute to the system with the dream act.

I say send 'em away Repugs....you're not getting a deal. I want you to send 'em all back because it'll feel so damn good to go back to your hateful constituents. and by the way...I have seen no real evidence that sending these people back will improve anyone's lives here....just ruin or degrade theirs.

This 'issue' boils down to the same petty things that they have always boiled down to in this country...."i was here first....so GTFO."

It is all silly and all politics.
Also the stud doctors and shit get green cards and work visas to come here legally often through college and employers. I don’t think these are folks trump is wanting gone. So it’s all drama shit to make both sides look dumb.

All that said, I am fine with sealing the border and tracking all guests that overstay their visa. No need to add to the problem. We have so many issues in the US currently. It’s is like we need to deal with some internal shit before letting anyone else in. But I know that won’t happen.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm guessing we allow a ton of people from the Middle East (India, Pakistan, etc) and Asian countries, so lets not pretend we're only looking for whitey and the German master race.  We're looking for people that can make a positive impact to the country.  You can make a case for the migrant farm workers or building trades fitting that, so make a case. 

Years ago I worked in a factory with a bunch of Mexicans.  There were definitely white people that didn't like them just because they were Mexican.  This was in the north.  There were a few lazy ones, but overall they worked harder than most people there...I think that's one of the reasons they were disliked.  I took Spanish in HS, so I could sit around and bs with them.  We got along fine and I have no idea if they were all legal or not.  Never crossed my mind...I was maybe 20 years old and legal meant nothing to me at that point.

The problem with the dreamers is they are still illegal regardless of who is at fault.  If you want to put them through the same scrutiny and make decisions on who stays and who goes based on contributions (or the ability to contribute), I think I am okay with that.  I think they should be required to serve in the military though.  Let them finish HS, put them in the military for 4 years, then give them the same scholarship access military people have when they complete it.  If there's an alternative way they can contribute through community service or something else for those that can't do the military service, we can discuss it but they must serve the country in some capacity,  Give them a EAD (or something to that purpose) after their schooling (university or trade); once they contribute enough in taxes (which means they actually got a job and are contributing to society), allow them to apply for a green card.  Yes, under my plan people with higher paying jobs will qualify more quickly...I'm okay with that as they are contributing at a higher level.  Once they have a green card, they can go through the same process as any other person on the path to citizenship.  It's not a perfect plan, but it forces people to earn their way in instead of just handing it to them.  THAT I can live with.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm guessing we allow a ton of people from the Middle East (India, Pakistan, etc) and Asian countries, so lets not pretend we're only looking for whitey and the German master race.  We're looking for people that can make a positive impact to the country.  You can make a case for the migrant farm workers or building trades fitting that, so make a case. 

Years ago I worked in a factory with a bunch of Mexicans.  There were definitely white people that didn't like them just because they were Mexican.  This was in the north.  There were a few lazy ones, but overall they worked harder than most people there...I think that's one of the reasons they were disliked.  I took Spanish in HS, so I could sit around and bs with them.  We got along fine and I have no idea if they were all legal or not.  Never crossed my mind...I was maybe 20 years old and legal meant nothing to me at that point.

The problem with the dreamers is they are still illegal regardless of who is at fault.  If you want to put them through the same scrutiny and make decisions on who stays and who goes based on contributions (or the ability to contribute), I think I am okay with that.  I think they should be required to serve in the military though.  Let them finish HS, put them in the military for 4 years, then give them the same scholarship access military people have when they complete it.  If there's an alternative way they can contribute through community service or something else for those that can't do the military service, we can discuss it but they must serve the country in some capacity,  Give them a EAD (or something to that purpose) after their schooling (university or trade); once they contribute enough in taxes (which means they actually got a job and are contributing to society), allow them to apply for a green card.  Yes, under my plan people with higher paying jobs will qualify more quickly...I'm okay with that as they are contributing at a higher level.  Once they have a green card, they can go through the same process as any other person on the path to citizenship.  It's not a perfect plan, but it forces people to earn their way in instead of just handing it to them.  THAT I can live with.

Less Dreamers have served in the military than have been convicted of a crime.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Ok.  That wasn't really my point though.  My point is that if they can show they can contribute positively by putting in 4 years in the military or some other public service for those that can't do the military for some reason, then they deserve to stay.  At that point they will have earned it.  You might even convince me to make it 4 years in the military or 4 years in college (or 2 years military after 2 years in trade school maybe learning a skill the military can use).  I'm open to ideas, but they all have to include showing you won't just be a moocher.

Board footer