You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:

@flagg...last i recall was that the trade between Canada and US is pretty close from a monetary perspective

Autos, oil, aircraft, wood, machinery, gems & precious metals

Plus when generate alot of energy that goes into NY State

Canada is hardly reliant on the US either...

Neemo, I’m not anti Canada and I’m opposed to any actions that hinder our alliance. But the US accounts for 73% of your exports and 63% of your imports. To deny your country is almost entirely reliant/dependent on the US is absurd

All of our top imported goods can also be made domestically in Canada

Why do i need to buy American meat and produce when ontario is a huge agricultural center? Why buy american cars when there are several car plants within an hour drive? Why do i need amerixan gasoline when alberta has huge oil feilds and several large oil refineries in ontario?

Shutting down trade between our countries is only going to eliminate a competitive market place and will drive up costs for the average joe plus elimimate jobs...there is zero benefit to these tariffs

This is all for show. Nothing will change long term.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This is all for show. Nothing will change long term.

I hope so ... I just dont see the need to have the dick measuring contest

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:

@flagg...last i recall was that the trade between Canada and US is pretty close from a monetary perspective

Autos, oil, aircraft, wood, machinery, gems & precious metals

Plus when generate alot of energy that goes into NY State

Canada is hardly reliant on the US either...

Neemo, I’m not anti Canada and I’m opposed to any actions that hinder our alliance. But the US accounts for 73% of your exports and 63% of your imports. To deny your country is almost entirely reliant/dependent on the US is absurd

Why do i need to buy American meat and produce when ontario is a huge agricultural center? Why buy american cars when there are several car plants within an hour drive? Why do i need amerixan gasoline when alberta has huge oil feilds and several large oil refineries in ontario?

Shutting down trade between our countries is only going to eliminate a competitive market place and will drive up costs for the average joe plus elimimate jobs...there is zero benefit to these tariffs

I agree with you. The same applies to the US. America shouldn’t import a single drop of fuel if it’s exporting fuel. Same for Canada. Canadians should come before Americans in Canada.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I agree with you. The same applies to the US. America shouldn’t import a single drop of fuel if it’s exporting fuel. Same for Canada. Canadians should come before Americans in Canada.

I agree...but i doubt it'll ever happen...sadly money is worth more than citizens

I've always thought it dumb

i.e. Why do i need to buy california strawberries or Idaho potatoes when pei potatoes and ontario strawberries are grown in abundance...yet at the grocery store its cheaper to buy american products than homegrown...i dont get it

Ontario has so much extra energy that they could easily power the whole province for free...yet the gov't sells cheap to NY State and charge out the asshole to Ontarians

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

It should if the product can be made cheaper and better somewhere else...

This is such a bizarre turn of events within the argument. It sounds like you don't believe in free trade unless it benefits you...but there's always a loser in a market when one product is inferior.

So if we have a good product from Oregon and one that is not so good in Minnesota....the product from Minnesota loses out in a free market. It sounds like if Canada makes the superior product...then free markets down matter anymore.

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
Neemo wrote:

It should if the product can be made cheaper and better somewhere else...

This is such a bizarre turn of events within the argument. It sounds like you don't believe in free trade unless it benefits you...but there's always a loser in a market when one product is inferior.

So if we have a good product from Oregon and one that is not so good in Minnesota....the product from Minnesota loses out in a free market. It sounds like if Canada makes the superior product...then free markets down matter anymore.

I know you hate your hometown and all, but those are the people who make your cars, manage your dairys, and mine your coal or gas. They need jobs too. If union jobs can’t compete with foreign goods at a modest surcharge to prevent Chinese or Mexican workers who earn pennies on the dollar from making a superior product, they should go away.

But I’d like to know what products you find superior in Canada that aren’t worth a modest tariff to keep your fellow Americans employed. If Canada only makes rocking chairs and the US only makes benches, work out a tariff free deal. But our oil and gasoline is fine. Europe is beginning to buy large amounts of our shale oil because they’ve learned how to refine it.  But considering how much other western nations benefit from our military, we should rarely be running trade deficits with them.

And we shouldn’t allow other nations to control our primary production materials like metal or circuitry. What happens if China or Russia makes a move that legitimately threatens our safety. What if we had to go to war. And out of fear, betrayal or disagreement, our allies whom we’ve allowed to sell us these products to the detriment of our own production capabilities and workers, withheld that material? If you say “good, fuck America”, there’s nothing left for us to discuss. But if you think America should be able to handle its own domestic production, you have to draw a line when trade prevents that.

What do you think Europe is doing with the EU? What do you think China has been doing for the past 40 years?  What do you think bankrupted the Soviet Union because they were incredibly inept and corrupt? The answer is build the capabilities to protect your nation on its own and provide a high standard of living for your people.  That’s why the US won the Cold War and was the sole super power. But we’ve sacrificed a lot of independence to the detriment of our own people. 

Trade isn’t bad. It’s great for so many things. But we need a level playing field. We don’t have that. And our government owes it to every citizen to put their needs above everyone else. That’s how this whole thing works, and it’s what everyone else is doing.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

What about all the people employed because of international trade? Those jobs would get cut and those people would be SOL?

Freed trade creates jobs and broadens the scope of fair market value...i treat anything us made and canadian made as pretty much even quality...we arent a 3rd would country u know or a bunch out backwoods hillbillies wearing touques haha

Randall Flagg

Neemo wrote:

What about all the people employed because of international trade? Those jobs would get cut and those people would be SOL?

Freed trade creates jobs and broadens the scope of fair market value...i treat anything us made and canadian made as pretty much even quality...we arent a 3rd would country u know or a bunch out backwoods hillbillies wearing touques haha

I wasn’t saying you are. Mitch made the suggestion that something (presumably fuel) was superior from Canada. I share your sentiment in terms of quality, so I genuinely want to know.

My understanding is that Canada has a superior logging industry than the US. It doesn’t matter if I’m right, but it serves as the example to my point. Lumber is an important resource. If Canada has a surplus of lumber that the US needs, fine, sell away. But if people start to buy Canadian lumber at the loss of US lumber, we need to talk. Is it because Canadians have a more efficient model? Is it because Canadian lumber has an unfair advantage, from say government subsidies?  If it’s the former, the US needs to redesign its laws to allow lumber to compete. If American unions demand $40 an hour and benefits and Canadians do it for $25, the American market needs a wake up. But if it’s something else that unfairly disadvantages US workers, the federal government needs to step in to level the playing field. Capitalism and free trade only work on a level field.

It’s the same reason we should put seasonal tariffs on Mexican produce when American farms can make and sell the same item. If it’s the middle of winter, Buy all the tariff free oranges you want. But in the summer, American oranges should be preferable to another country’s.

This is most apparent with China and microprocessors. We’ve allowed them to take over at the detriment of our own manufacturing abilities. Sure, intel designs them here, but they’re made abroad. That’s not intelligent trade, and if we need to create tariffs or provide subsidies for our own domestic production, I’m all for that.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is such a God Damn Boss!!!!! Holy fuck the dick heat from this fucker is mesmerizing. Hopefully him and Kim can work this out.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Trump is such a God Damn Boss!!!!! Holy fuck the dick heat from this fucker is mesmerizing. Hopefully him and Kim can work this out.

You only know that because your lips are so firmly placed around that dick heat.

Board footer