You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Football

PaSnow wrote:

Far be it from me to side with Jerry Jones, but Goodell's gotta go. He's crazy for asking for $50M with health benefits for his entire family forever as the NFL ratings are going straight into the gutter. NFL needs a new commish, someone old school who can get a handle onto this. Goodell is too corporate/lawyery looking to expand into London & Mexico and extend the season to 18 games while the product dwindles before our eyes. Plus he never had a handle on off the field & assault violations. Ray Rice gets a free pass while Tom Brady suspended for deflating a football, wtf??

They probably need a former player, someone from the 80s to step in & run it. Honestly John Elway or Troy Aikman would be pretty good options. Maybe even Howie Long.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

He’s being sued by Kaep, he can’t control the few idiots kneeling (try arguing free speech at your place of work), ratings aren’t great, and he alienated just about every team.  I’m surprised he’s even able to complete his contract, let alone extend it under these terms.

The league needs to keep it at 16 games and remove Thursday night games. It’s too much. I’d also scale back the international games. You’re never going to have teams in Europe. The time difference is too much. Focus on Mexico and Canada.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I didn't realize they are considering extending the regular season. Talk about bat shit crazy and a disaster that will blow up in their faces. If anything, the amount of games needs to be cut.

I also agree about killing off Thursdays.

I saw where some fans don't even watch games anymore....they watch highlights on youtube or even on TV news to keep up with their team.

Pasnow is right. They gotta take it old school. It's their only hope. It's not gonna be easy in the current culture but the whole thing is gonna crumble if they're not careful.

Yeah......Goodell has got to go.

Last thing the NFL needs is expansion.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Anyone see the UCF - South Florida game yesterday?  UCF is ranked 15 & was up 1pt then scored with over a minute to go. S Florida got the ball back & scored on a 70 yard blown coverage on 1st or 2nd down then converted on the 2pt conversion to tie it up. UCF then took the kickoff all the way back for a TD to go up 7 & ultimately win. Pretty back & forth final 90 seconds. S Fla played well though.

They said UCF went from winless to undefeated in 2 years time, 0-12 to 12-0. Pretty impressive feat.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They said UCF went from winless to undefeated in 2 years time, 0-12 to 12-0. Pretty impressive feat.

Parity making its way into the college system somehow?

I should check out a college game and see if its close to being ruined like the NFL. If not....college football may move up a few more notches and fans switch over to that and drop the NFL like a ton of bricks.

I read an article earlier that the TV channels broadcasting NFL games are set to lose 500 million due to the ratings decline. That is insane.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

James Lofton wrote:

Parity making its way into the college system somehow?

I should check out a college game and see if its close to being ruined like the NFL. If not....college football may move up a few more notches and fans switch over to that and drop the NFL like a ton of bricks.

I read an article earlier that the TV channels broadcasting NFL games are set to lose 500 million due to the ratings decline. That is insane.

I’d like to know how that’s true. Advertising is sold months in advance, so prices were locked in way before ratings dipped. I know at KraftHeinz, they bought advertising almost a year out.  And I’ve never verified how much ratings have dropped. Has anyone else?

Worst case is advertisement costs for next year may decline, but I’m also assuming there’s plenty of people to pay current rates as ratings declining or not, nothing brings in the audience of the NFL.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Worst case is advertisement costs for next year may decline

Probably has to do with that. If a game previous averaged a 20 share lets say, but now only gets a 17 share, rates for next year would likely drop accordingly. I think also they somewhat assure them of a certain ratings point, so if it doesn't hit they make it up with future spots (holiday shows, Must see TV shows, Emmys/grammys etc).

A buyer like Toyota or McDonalds could threaten to move their money over to college football, basketball, Baseball etc instead. In some ways your right its all just a big pool and the networks still get their money, its just shifted around therefore less emphasis is needed on NFL.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, My Auburn Tigers are BACK!!!! War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The NFL ratings are likely down because of the brain trauma issue, and the fact the league embraces wife beaters, not the kneeling, though i’m sure that turns off a minuscule amount of people.

Plus, it’s so damn boring now. Anyone watched a game recently from kickoff to final? If you added up all the action, I bet it amounts to like 30 minutes of the 3 hour runtime. Teams run a play, then it’s 45 seconds of replay, 15 seconds or more pre-snap, then 5 seconds of action if you’re lucky. Repeat. It’s gawdawful.

If I didn’t play fantasy football, I’d watched none whatsoever.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Shoot, I meant to post earlier today SG has to be happy as a clam after yesterday!

Next week has some good matchups for the Final 4 candidacy.

Board footer