You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Chinese Democracy in 1988

esoterica wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ82dnmA4s_

https://youtu.be/GzvZXWWcL5k?t=44m48s

This was posted by a fan named "remcognr" in a Facebook group. It was then posted to MyGNR.

Marc Canter wrote:

"The day after Rock In Rio 2001 Axl and I were at the pool and he mentioned that there was a possibility that Slash could have played on a few tracks for Chinese Democracy if he were willing to apologize  in the press for the things that he said about Axl publicly.  Axl was cracking the door open and saying to me, 'If  Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album'." (Marc Canter, Legendary Rock Interviews, 04/22/12)

It seems we've discovered a track that Axl intended Slash to play on.

Your thoughts?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This I Love

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Further sleuthing:

"Estranged guitarist Slash is telling his official fan Web site that sessions relating to Guns N' Roses' long-rumored live album will be getting underway with mixer Andy Wallace sometime in July. Wallace's management company confirms that the studio veteran is booked for the sessions from July 12 through to the 29th." (MTV, 07/09/99)

"Slash was responsible for most of the work on the album. He and Axl worked the hardest. Stevie, Izzy and the others were all involved in one way or another." (Duff's official website, 11/29/99)

Axl wrote:

"Del James worked for a couple of years off and on going though every single show we did on DAT tape from the 'Use Your Illusion' tour and then every available tape, and finding tapes, and finding people that have recorded things, so he could have in his mind what was recorded best from the entire time Guns N' Roses was together." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

Axl is enthused about Guns N' Roses for the first time in long time. The trips to Arizona has done him well. He's feeling good.

He's back in the Guns N' Roses headspace. Combing through DAT tapes with Del James.

The new band is recording at a blazing pace. Almost two records now. Still no title.

Duff wrote:

I went to dinner with Axl and his manager. He was a manager of GN'R and still Axl's. [...] Me and Axl were getting along well and we had very good conversation. [...] I said 'Axl, we had very [much] fun together, but it's your own band now. I'm not interested in you as a dictator. I didn't come here to talk about the money advanced for next record. You can have it.'" (Duff, Burrn Magazine, 12/99)

A dictator, eh?

"[Doug Goldstein] verifies that the new GN'R studio album, due out sometime next year, will be called Chinese Democracy. He adds that the title has been a done deal for at least six weeks." (Allstarmag, 11/09/99)

The name of the record is Chinese Democracy.

Axl wrote:

This next song is... something new. You know, right before I came here, before I left LA, the movie Kundun was on about the Dali Lama... So I was getting ready to leave and it was the end of the movie and the Dali Lama is about to cross over the border to be in exile for the rest of his life from his own country and he looks back at the men who helped him that escaped the Chinese government. And he looks back at them and he waves and they wave and they show a scene where he looks back and sees them all dead because he knows they will be killed.

Side A: Nostalgia - A sense of mournful appreciation about what was accomplished and what was lost.

Axl wrote:

This isn't necessarily pro or con China but right now China symbolizes one of the strongest and oppressive governments that exist in the world. And in thinking about that, we wrote this little song called Chinese Democracy.

Side B: Destruction - The proto-fascism of the future, songs written like a postcard from the apocalyptic hellscape.

All with Slash's own riff.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Makes sense in a way. Seems as if Josh Freese came up with a Smells Like Teen Spirit knock-off and they pasted an old Slash riff in as an intro.

It's something else to consider all that Slash obsession while they knowingly used his old stuff to spruce up CD yikes

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

Chinese Democracy intro riff at 44:56 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvZXWWcL5k

AtariLegend wrote:

There's a few seconds of him playing a different riff the same way the start of Chinese is... it's not the same riff.

Really lots of guitarists do that live to tease playing something.

This is really a stretch, it's more of I just want to believe.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Chinese Democracy intro riff at 44:56 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzvZXWWcL5k

[/embed]

Fuck, what an amazing guitar solo and then he plays the CD riff. WILD!!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Pretty spot on.  Sortof surreal being it was that long ago. Could be a total coincidence, just 3 chords, but man it's THOSE 3 chords on time.  Then he plays some other song, I can't place it exactly, some hit song tho, Living After Midnight or something.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:

If walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it`s a duck.

AtariLegend wrote:

He's not playing the riffs of the track.

If he was, you not think Slash would have sued years ago or mentioned this decades ago?

Board footer