You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Chinese Democracy in 1988

esoterica wrote:

If you can sue over an intro riff, Slash doesn't strike me as the guy doing it.

Also you seriously think he heard it and was like, "Oh I remember when I played this in Japan in 1988?" With his past?

johndivney wrote:

All the ideas belonged to Guns N Roses i.e. Axl so I'd assume Slash wouldn't have had any ownership over it..?? A co-writing credit would have been interesting on CD's release.
It does shine further light on Axl's process tho. Regurgitating masticated riffs from what, at the time would've been a decade earlier if we put CD in '98/'99, never mind the eventual 2006 release..

johndivney wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

It's something else to consider all that Slash obsession while they knowingly used his old stuff to spruce up CD yikes

Yea. I mean, what the hell?! These people are really fuckin weird/nuts. Tho what does that say about us..?? neutral

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
johndivney wrote:

It does shine further light on Axl's process tho. Regurgitating masticated riffs from what, at the time would've been a decade earlier if we put CD in '98/'99, never mind the eventual 2006 release..

The whole saga is strange and actually seems to be getting stranger.

Axl mentioned he wanted to start with lyrics and melodies at the China Exchange but it's bizarre because he never had more power than during the CD sessions. Granted the band was influx but it was often influx because of Axl and his process. You can imagine he has very strong opinions about the creative process but yeah, it's a bizarre situation.

If you don't give him the benefit of the doubt you could speculate he was totally out of ideas and/or in way over his head.

I've always felt like the record was pretty much done by 2000 but you wonder about that material. What was it? Was it all that industrial sound? Then the prolific Chicken Man comes in, are we to not expect he was equally prolific? Did Axl turn his licks loose after him departing?

I mean outside of the Beavan stuff being punched up to Baker level, we have no evidence of the material changing much not to mention Axl being an endless tinkerer.

What's the box, man, what's in the box?!!!!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

So much for Robin's writing credit...lol

It's likely he was just making noise...help we don't even know if it was slash or izzy that played it

What prolly more funny/interesting is ... did Axl scour old livevfootage to find inspiration for new material...and does a clip like that count as part of his 32 songs nearly done

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
Neemo wrote:

So much for Robin's writing credit...lol

It's likely he was just making noise...help we don't even know if it was slash or izzy that played it

What prolly more funny/interesting is ... did Axl scour old livevfootage to find inspiration for new material...and does a clip like that count as part of his 32 songs nearly done

It was definitely Slash. You can hear his distinctive sound, Izzy`s is much different.
It`s similar to Chinese intro because it`s the same riff. All Slash did was tune down guitar that`s why it sounds heavier.

johndivney wrote:
Neemo wrote:

He delegated that stuff to del to do, while he sat getting baked & played tekken with fernando.

Almost certainly clips like this count towards the 32 songs/what's in the vault.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

@ ragnar

Yea i dig it...I play guitar

Hitting 3 chords in not a "riff" he was prolly just messing around and that's what u get ... maybe something could've (or did) come of it...but at the time I think that he was just strumming some stuff between songs ... EGA there u go that's a song fromy the future...I really doubt it but who knows .... stranger things have happened in this band

How u tell its "distinctive Slash" when the guy never plays in Drop-D Tuning?  I only listened to the small small part so maybe I'm missing some of the context

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

It would be one thing if another band wrote CD... But considering how close what Slash played is to the CD intro, it must make any rational mind wander...

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

If you don't give him the benefit of the doubt you could speculate he was totally out of ideas and/or in way over his head.

A little bit of both, I guess. Axl bonded with Duff again after the pancreas incident, but he was still too much in his own world to level with Slash about anything. Some Snakepit songs caught his ear, but then, Slash turned around, released them all and about to go on tour. Axl saw betrayal. Any chance of Gilby coming back for the SFTD sessions was possibly nixed by the Axl/Slash tension. Axl was already up to his neck in litigations, he apparently feared Guns would fall into the same pit. That's why he did the whole disbanding the partnership thing, to assume control over the band's future assets; to prevent any more Snakepits or "We want Gilby instead of Paul Huge".

What consistently left a lot to be desired were Axl's project management skills. By the looks of it, he barely had any. Any lineup from '96 onwards was supposed to go into the studio at night and record jams, so that Axl could listen to the CD-R's in his mansion. Different people have testified that he rarely showed up to work alongside the band. That was a grave error - things would've no doubt gotten done more smoothly had he met them all in a room on a weekly basis, to go through their most recent efforts. Tell them (in broad strokes) what he had in mind in regards to touring, et al. Keep them in the loop as far as their own jobs are concerned, the very least.

But he failed to give them much direction and, aside Sean Beavan, was reluctant to appoint much anyone as his second. Beavan is no doubt one of the unsung heroes of the whole saga. He dutifully chopped those late-night jams into tiny pieces and constructed semicoherent songs out of them. After that, bells and whistles. There were more songs written in the Bucket -era, but even these may have been blended into sketches and ideas that were already there - and had been ever since Dizzy, Paul and friends started jamming as Guns in '94-95. Those songs were actually for the '96 band, Axl's reserve material pining for Slash solos.

Fear can be a mighty adversary and Axl fell victim to his own.

Board footer