You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy in 1988

James wrote:

Wow. That is surreal.

How the hell did this fly under the radar for the entire saga?

Never underestimate the ears of a GNR nerd. If its there, they'll find it...even if it takes 29 years.

Am I the only one that watched that 1988 Tokyo show I posted?

I bookmarked it. Haven't listened/watched an old show in ages but this CD in 88 thing has me wanting to go back down memory lane. Maybe check out a few other shows. Maybe Slash played the Riad solo shitfaced at the troubador and no one caught it yet....

He should've gotten back with Slash the minute Robin walked but ya know, throw it on the pile.

Absolutely.

The moment Finck bails to record The Slip, Slash and Duff should've been called and told they've got two months to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and then it heads off to Best Buy.

Not that CD was pure shit but Slash made the material breathe again.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It's not unfeasable, seeing as Slash plays something that sounds very, very similar to the intro to Anastasia during his solo spot in Argentina in 1992 with Guns.

So it's just as likely that Axl may have heard Slash playing that riff in 1988. Whether it is linked to CD is less likely though.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The moment Finck bails to record The Slip, Slash and Duff should've been called and told they've got two months to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and then it heads off to Best Buy.

If they re-worked the album prior to release, Duff would've been helpful in working on arrangements.

I don't think Slash has done much for it than playing solos less capably.

I would've been fine with just releasing the 2004 album. Or any version not mixed by two guys who've never mixed an album.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

That's not the Chinese Democracy riff, it's Slash strumming a few chords. Really reaching here guys. Atari had this nailed on page 1...

Sky Dog wrote:

You guys have lost your mind....Led Zep wouldn't exist if Jimmy Page didn't rape every riff and lyric from the Blues masters.....Dylan wouldn't exist if he didn't have Woody Guthries influence and chords. Slash wouldn't exist if he didn't plunder Joe Perry's and Jimmy Page's riffs.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

You guys have lost your mind....Led Zep wouldn't exist if Jimmy Page didn't rape every riff and lyric from the Blues masters.....Dylan wouldn't exist if he didn't have Woody Guthries influence and chords. Slash wouldn't exist if he didn't plunder Joe Perry's and Jimmy Page's riffs.

So are you saying Slash possibly did write the CD Riff?

Sky Dog wrote:

Who the hell knows?

The whole thing is Spinal Tap at this point. 16

For the record, I do love what Slash has added to the CD songs. Obviously a bit disappointed they can't find the time to release at least one new song. I know we all are but it stinks when guys and gals like us have simply given up hope.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Hitting 3 chords in not a "riff" he was prolly just messing around and that's what u get ..

It did sound like he was just hitting chords progressions around a solo as people do as part of their solo spot.

It's curious that the same progression with the same inflection was subsequently used though.

Did someone independently come up with the same riff by chance? Was the song adapted from an unused Slash-GNR demo lying around? Did a later guitarist watch GNR boots as part of rehearsing and like the sound of that progression?

We'll never know I guess. But its strange for sure.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Obviously a bit disappointed they can't find the time to release at least one new song. I know we all are but it stinks when guys and gals like us have simply given up hope.

Yeah it's outright depressing at times to be a fan of these guys.

I'm hopeful they'll do something at the end of this year - that's about when the tour will have hit every possible location - some of the USA twice even. At that point they either have to disband and count their millions for a few years (while slash would keep busy making movies or something) or they have to start a new project....would make a lot of sense to do a new album then.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I find it interesting that the intro wasn't added until circa 2006.

In 2002 we had The General open some shows which also appeared on an early track listing.

It seems Axl wanted the same idea, an extended soundscape intro, but delayed the aforementioned track's appearance until a future album.

Board footer