You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 15 Years Ago: Alice In Chains Frontman Layne Staley Dies (TRIBUTE)

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Ashame, he was such a talent. I felt he really would've been a success in the Supergroup era too, with a fresh new gig. VR especially.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

It was brutal when he died...seemed that no one gave a shit

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I agree, yeah it definitely was pretty unspoken. It was sortof a lull in AIC & grunge tho. I also don't think people realized how truly talented and legendary he was. 

Pretty sick how he died actually. I read on wikipedia he was pretty close to being a street junkie popping in & out less & less like a hermit. He was pretty guant, and eventually just withered away from an overdose/excessive usage and body failure on the couch. I think he was found several days later after his sister or family called police after not hearing him. It just seems it was more like his body gave up and couldn't continue more than "Oh shoot, I took too much".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Didn't his GF die of an OD and then he just spiralled into heavy heroin addiction and depression that he couldn't/ or didn't want to recover from...basically gave up

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I didn't hear about his GF either way, but yeah it was definitely several years of decline. Remember he covered Another Brick In The Wall with the guitarist from Rage and a few others?  Apparently the video for it they just used old AIC footage of him.  Either he was too sick to appear in it, or he never showed up I forget which but yeah if you watch the video you'll see he was never shot in a studio or specific for the video.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah his GF died in 95 or 96 and it completely blew his mind. Not to suggest he was a sober coach before that moment but it was his jump into the abyss.

Other than a couple shows, he spent the rest of his life as a shut in and would only leave the house if he had to for drugs.

Yes...it was swept under the rug and all those even remotely close to him(even if just musically speaking) should be ashamed of themselves. He did not get a proper sendoff and he deserved one.

PasNow is right.....this guy would've been perfect in a supergroup in the 2000s.

I knew he wasn't gonna last anyways...GF dead or not. That Mad Season album is essentially nothing but a suicide note to the world written a few years early.

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

This is going to sound awful as my collection of AIC albums was limited, but a decade ago when I was a teenager, I thought he'd died a decade before that.

Sure if you buzzed around the Internet you'd know, but I thought back then that Layne had died in 90's during grunge era. Had no idea it was recent. I wasn't a big AIC fan though apart from owning Dirt.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

This is going to sound awful as my collection of AIC albums was limited, but a decade ago when I was a teenager, I thought he'd died a decade before that.

Sure if you buzzed around the Internet you'd know, but I thought back then that Layne had died in 90's during grunge era. Had no idea it was recent. I wasn't a big AIC fan though apart from owning Dirt.

Nahhh, it's cool you're being honest. It's interesting reading posts like that of people of different ages and life experiences. I'm not sure I ever definitively knew Bob Marley had died, I just assumed he did. Never really knew how. Steve Millers greatest hits was a big album in the late 80s/90s, sortof an album every kid had. Anyway I had no idea about him, eventually when we became teens I'd meet people who went to a show to see him. I felt, 'Well I guess he is still alive'.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Didn't his GF die of an OD and then he just spiralled into heavy heroin addiction and depression that he couldn't/ or didn't want to recover from...basically gave up

I believe so yes.

AIC was one of my favorite bands in the 90s.

Board footer