You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chris Cornell dead

James wrote:

Its been a long time since I heard this. Forgot how amazing this song is.

From an AIC EP in name only. AliceMudGarden or whatever people were calling it(also had Heart on a track) should've done a follow up to this at some point.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

In my world....

Superunknown
Rumours
AFD
Dark Side of the Moon

anything else cant touch any of those records.

Pretty good list. Been listening to Rumours quite a bit lately.

Sky Dog wrote:

Sorry for your loss Lofton.....I know how much Soundgarden meant to you......I never would have thought he would do something like this as he always seemed pretty stable.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Looks like the family is setting up a big lawsuit against the drug company.

James

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Sorry for your loss Lofton.....I know how much Soundgarden meant to you......I never would have thought he would do something like this as he always seemed pretty stable.

As crazy as this sounds, they meant even more to me than I realized. I am completely gutted by this. No celebrity death has ever impacted me on such a level.

I remember years ago when people like Cobain, MJ, etc. die and I'd see footage of fans bawling their eyes out and nutting up I'd think how pathetic and bat shit crazy one must be to have such an extreme reaction to the death of someone you don't even know.

I just joined the club of the bat shit crazy. While I wouldn't cry and act off in public like those people, I have cried several times alone over this. It is no less surreal now than it was the night it happened. One thing that helped make it worse was the very day he died I had such an amazing time. I was riding roller coasters and it made me feel young again.  I then wake up to the shocking news.

Even though we don't know these people, to a certain degree we do know them. Their music(or movies, whatever) speak to us on a deep level and becomes part of our soul. Superunknown had a huge impact on my life and got me through 1994-95, one of the craziest periods of my life. In that time I went from coming out a deep depression and quiting drugs/liquor, getting my shit together and studying/passing the ACT test, got into college, and then just as I'm cruising down the right path, my dad dies at 39 the last day of spring break, sending me down into an abyss I didn't know was possible.

Chris Cornell's music saw me through those times. So did Mad Season and Elastica in summer of 95 but Cornell guided me through the worst avenues of my hell.

I "rediscovered" Down on the Upside in 2008. In 96 I was in a different mindset and for some reason didn't give that album much of a chance. My mind was blown in 08 after hearing it. It was like having a brand new Soundgarden album even though I remembered its singles. As you guys know, I was deep into an Oxy addiction at the time and Overfloater was heavy shit to digest. He knew where I was coming from and what it felt like to stare the addiction in the face, understand that its wrong, but at the same time being able to come to terms with it. The song gave me chills then....now I just find it incredibly sad.

He would never sing that live. As far as I know, he sang the intro a couple times as part of a medley on a solo tour. Its probably just too personal and hits him at a gut level.

I don't remember if you bothered much with the reunion album King Animal but the song Taree lyrically feels like its sequel. He's middle aged, knows he's in deep and there's no escaping it. His descriptions of withdrawal(the main theme of the song) are untouchable. No one else can come close to describing what that is like.

Most artists/bands glorify drug use but Cornell always showed the listener its reality. For most bands its snorting coke off the ass of a stripper. In Cornell's world it is rolling on the floor crying for your drug.

That is the real world of drug addiction.

I cried last night listening to this. A lot of his material is going to sting even more now that he is dead.

The world lost a beautiful yet troubled soul.

Sky Dog wrote:

I know a little about addiction and depression myself......unless you have been there, it is tough for people to relate.

James

James wrote:

Chris Cornell's Widow Vicky Pens Letter to Late Singer: 'I'm Sorry You Were Alone' on Final Night

Chris Cornell's widow, Vicky, has published an emotional open letter to her late husband. "I'm sorry you were alone, and I know that was not you, my sweet Christopher," she wrote to in the note, issued via Billboard. "Your children know that too, so you can rest in peace."

Elsewhere in the soul-bearing letter, she wrote that she thinks of the Soundgarden, Audioslave and Temple of the Dog frontman "every minute of every day," adding, "I will fight for you" and that she still felt connected to him. "It has been said that paths that have crossed will cross again, and I know that you will come find me, and I will be here waiting," she wrote.

Chris died of suicide by hanging last Thursday at the age of 52. Shortly after his death, Vicky issued a statement speculating that her husband had suffered an adverse side effect of Ativan, an anxiety medication he took. "When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different," she wrote then. "When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him. What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life."

A note from Vicky's lawyer, Kirk Pasich, accompanied her statement then, saying that: "Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages." Moreover, he said that if Chris had taken his own life, he'd done so unknowingly.

Cornell's family will hold a funeral for the singer on Friday at Los Angeles' Hollywood Forever cemetery. It is also planning on holding a public memorial, though details for that are not yet public.

Read Vicky Cornell's full open letter:

To My Sweet Christopher,

You were the best father, husband and son-in-law. Your patience, empathy and love always showed through.

You had always said I saved you, that you wouldn't be alive if it were not for me. My heart gleamed to see you happy, living and motivated. Excited for life. Doing everything you could to give back. We had the time of our lives in the last decade and I'm sorry, my sweet love, that I did not see what happened to you that night. I'm sorry you were alone, and I know that was not you, my sweet Christopher. Your children know that too, so you can rest in peace.

I’m broken, but I will stand up for you and I will take care of our beautiful babies. I will think of you every minute of every day and I will fight for you. You were right when you said we are soulmates. It has been said that paths that have crossed will cross again, and I know that you will come find me, and I will be here waiting.

I love you more than anyone has ever loved anyone in the history of loving and more than anyone ever will.

Always and forever,
Your Vicky

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … ou-w484130

Lomax wrote:

That letter was heart breaking.
Chris Cornell's music has been and will continue to be a huge part of my life.
I'm really going to miss future releases shows and interviews.
Thanks for the years of great memories.

James

James wrote:

Moreover, he said that if Chris had taken his own life, he'd done so unknowingly.

No disrespect intended but I don't like this part of the narrative being created. You just don't "unknowingly" kill yourself. Yes he was under the influence of drugs and it helped send him over the edge but it feels like they're trying to push this as some kind of accident.

I really hope this is not a repeat of the Michael Hutchence tragedy.

You had always said I saved you, that you wouldn't be alive if it were not for me.

I don't doubt this for a second. Hardcore SG fans know the hell that Susan Silver put him through for years and its pretty much a guarantee that the songs in his discog that are negative towards women/relationships are mainly directed at her.

I'm sorry you were alone,

This is very sad. This is one reason GNR fans shouldn't give Axl such a hard time for his Team Brazil entourage. Axl has mentioned how they have saved him and he probably needs that support system, whether fans like TB or not.

If god forbid Axl were to get into a serious funk on the road and starts thinking irrationally, he has people there to assist him and get him help if he needs it.

Cornell didn't have that. He had one bodyguard and didn't live the "rock star life".

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

This whole thing has affected me more than any other musician who's passed. It's heartbreaking and his music has meant so much to me for so long - it's been soothing reading so many like minded posts and tributes these last days

I see his mother in law is now kicking off on twitter about Eddie Vedder?

Board footer