You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

dalethirsty wrote:

i remember reading the shit out of gnrontour back in the day. the description of the 12/31/2001 show had it sounding like the greatest show in new gnr history.

This show definitely had a harder edge to it – the band wanted to prove that the 12.29 show was a fluke. Everyone was on fire – Axl hitting all his vocals and both lead guitarists shredding every note! One of the night’s highlights was a flawless performance of ‘Oh My God’ – something that hadn’t been pulled off in the band’s previous three gigs. Often during the show Axl would run off to the side of the stage when he wasn’t singing – he was really enjoying watching the band nail every song! At 11:54 p.m. – 6 minutes before the new year – Earl [Axl’s bodyguard] notified Axl that it was close to midnight – the band then launched into an amazing version of ‘Madagascar.’

was axl having his shows pro-shot back at that point? or did that not come until the US tour started?

as weird as that band was, they deserved all the promotion in the world. axl rose and his group of weirdoes could have done iron man numbers if marketed properly. buckethead was still generally unknown to the public at that time... they could have taken full advantage of his amazing gimmick and made him the center of the band. finck was the perfect sidekick.

it's a shame everything was so half assed back then. i don't think axl trusted that band yet.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

not really sure about the pro-shot. HOB show was definitely captured professionally, as it was scheduled to be released officially. RIR3 was captured by brazilian TV. and the HOB DVD release was planned during 2001, so well before The Joint shows.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I don't know about 2001 but all shows 2002 onwards had a video crew at the gig.

This differs from a full pre-planned production but them being filmed is them being filmed.

I think I read somewhere HOB had legal resistance from Slash and Duff at the time. Don't know if that was bullshit or not.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

there's a lot from 01-02 that i'd like to see released professionally. it's a shame we never will; the only mentions of that tour going forward will be from delusional message board freaks like us.

hopefully we get a nice blu-ray special for the not in this lifetime tour. this damn spectacle deserves it!

chop up some footage from the best performance of each song and get it in stores. i'd buy a copy without hesitation.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Labels don't reject material form an artist very often.
I can't think of any other artist/band I've ever heard of who had their album handed back to them with a little sticker on the back saying"Try Harder".

I can think of one....

M.I.A. She had every album since 2004 rejected at least once, MAYA was rejected multiple times.

She had the exact same people fucking her over as Axl did.

as weird as that band was, they deserved all the promotion in the world. axl rose and his group of weirdoes could have done iron man numbers if marketed properly.

What they didn't realize(GNR, label, etc.) was that it needed to be marketed as a supergroup....not some random new GNR lineup. Its other fatal mistake was too much focus on 87-93. As big as GNR were back then, that should've been a minor aspect of 21st century GNR. Rio 3 should've been 80-90% new material with some token old hits thrown in. It sends a message that he's moving forward and the label would've been more willing to play ball.

The moment he saw what Cornell was doing with Audioslave(2002), he should have copied every step of it. That was the blueprint on how to move forward.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Axl wanted to be David Bowie. The record company should've managed him more closely but enabled him to get his rocks off. It it failed, it failed, and they could tell him to fuck off into retirement or back into Slash's desperate arms.

Go make your UYI III record Axl. That'll sell. Boom. Ok, now make your contemporary record. Great. Now make your industrial nu-metal soundscape record. Awesome.

The supergroup thing was the flaw of the whole operation. It lost and regained an identity each time someone quit or was added. Naturally. The early leaks are all Robin (and other players) and the mid-leaks are more Bucket. What's it gonna be? I love the finished record (it works better instrumentally than with vocals) but Axl had to include everyone. Fuck off with that. Bucket's pure melody could've carried most of the material, not this slap dick pastiche. Most people don't notice, I do, and so did the old timers who reviewed it when it went to market.

GNR should have been marketed as the Super Bowl of rock bands. It doesn't matter who's playing, we've got the best in the world. Rebrand the look of GNR every album cycle.

If they were to release a new album (doubt it) they could go one of two routes, the first is a semi-vault clearing via a 2-disc Best Of which consists of the aforementioned hits and a second disc of mid-1990s GNR stuff. Think Michael Jackson HIStory. The other route is Chinese Democracy "Mk. II" with Slash and Duff. Axl mixes the old GNR sound and tries to push it forward into contemporary areas.

James

James wrote:

In a pipe dream world where we get some version of CD II(or selected songs) in some format, the thousand ex members don't need to be mentioned. If anything, bury them in the credits that no one reads in this era.

If he has any oddities in his vault, now is the time to unload them. You only need a few thousand to get on a heatseekers chart. Hell...Silkworms could do that now. In the current climate, the GNR name itself will sell it. We're long past the days of Bumblearms and Bucketnoses. The core of the band is back and that's all thats needed to push this to the moon.

It lost and regained an identity each time someone quit or was added.

In the minds of hardcores? Yes. General public? No CD lineup had ever  been promoted. Yeah there was the VMAs everyone witnessed but during the main years it had a chance at relevancy( 2000-04), only lineup change was Huge/Fortus. By the time the revolving door was to the extent of everyone and their grandma being in GNR at some point, the window for new GNR's mainstream relevancy had already closed.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I disagree here. the 2006/7 tour was still MASSIVELY popular, especially after all that buzz it got in fall 2006. I think it was right after that, when GNR disappeared from public view after the eastern tour 2007 and "tentative release date" in March (if I remember correctly).
I don't really want to mock DJ Ashba, he did what he could best, but the era during his stint was just a joke.
but not until the end of 2007 tour. my opinion.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I woulda been curious to hear some of the industrial stuff that was likely in the vain of Oh My God. That's song really grew on me.

Anyone get into the vault yet?

James

James wrote:

MASSIVELY? Really? When he showed up onstage at the 06 VMAs, it was so awkwardly quiet you could hear a mouse fart. Half empty arena syndrome plagued them once again and shows(including mine) were canceled. Other than IRS popping up on that one station, the leaks did absolutely nothing but appease his hardcore fans.  Then add in the massive clusterfuck of how they handled the album. Not just Merck either...all of them.

His reemergence at the Korn party did make waves initially but it was downhill from there. Couple weeks later when he started in on the Slash bashing, it started to look like 'same as it ever was'....which is exactly what it wound up being.

It was unfortunate. Axl was amazing...he had the look...the swagger was back...he seemed like he had something to prove..... it just didn't go anywhere.

Another thing new GNR/CD had going against it was the fact it had already entered pop culture joke status. The previous three years saw nothing but jokes about Axl, Bucket, or the album in various media outlets. Then there was that terrible article in the NYT in 2005  stripping the Chinese emperor of his last strands of cloth and put the saga in a whole new light.

I think it went over better in Europe at those festivals but here it just didn't take off properly. IMO that tour shouldn't have been launched without an album.

The Ashba era a complete fiasco. I gave up the day he joined. I knew the white flag had been waved and we were never getting CD II from that lineup. I said it back then. He was making the touring lineup more marketable towards a casual audience...meaning it was nostalgia time.

Board footer