You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: The Scott Weiland Appreciation Thread

metallex78 wrote:

I think I'm the only one here who thinks Messages is boring and overrated.

Slash's nice guitar melody is mixed so badly I can't bring myself to listen to it, and the rest of the song bores me, like most of Libertad.

I was still hoping for the proper follow up to Contraband, a big fuck off rock album, but unfortunately that never came

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

Come On Come In is basically rehashed Dirty Little Thing.

I never thought of it like that....not really hearing that much of a comparison...which part? The riff? I like the chorus vocals of Come On, Come In better anyway...it's very sing-a-long-able....

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I think I'm the only one here who thinks Messages is boring and overrated.

I get what you mean. For me I don't like listening to sad songs all that often so I often skip it, like to me it's beautiful but it's kinda a bit too overdone or something.

Best way I could put it was that most of Contraband I wished Slash would be more Slash like...but then there's a handful of VR songs where it's sort of self consciously trying to be like GNR....the other one is Fall to Pieces....you can see how they'd make GNR tracks but without Axl it's a bit too by-the-numbers or something.

I think the gem of VR was something like Sucker Train Blues...can't get that song out of my head years later!

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I had "A Song for Sleeping" come on randomly on Spotify and really appreciated the direct lyrics and raw emotion, becoming a parent recently.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Core was a monster album. They're damn lucky it even caught on. It was released in that "If you're not from Seattle, you don't really matter" period. Getting lumped in with grunge helped them tremendously. In today's world, they immediately crash and burn due to Sex Type Thing.

I still don't understand how Purple got so massive. I was listening to STP in my car about a week ago and when Interstate came on, it re-blew my mind in regards to its universal appeal. Is it a good song? Yeah...but its not THAT good. I don't remember the timeline on how this album blew up but I'm going to assume it had something to do with Big Empty being on The Crow.

Vatican pretty much a bomb and that dumb album title did it no favors. After he died it was one of the first STP albums I listened to and was blown away by how good its deep cuts are.

Down is easily one of my favorite songs from 1999. I had to buy the album right after hearing it. I also love Heaven & Hotrods from that album.

I don't remember either side project...especially from 1995. Strange.

I'm surprised Contraband only sold a few million. VR were everywhere that year. Scott was smart to bail out after Libertad. . It was over.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I didn't think scott bailed out...I think he was fired because his drug problems were fucking up the band...including causing VR to cancel their liberdad Aussie tour.

Board footer