You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Holy shit....

James wrote:

I know nothing about Roxette other than those few hits in the late 80s/early 90s. I saw someone post this video of Roxette performing in 2015 and clicked it for shits and giggles. I was shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktb_pHNl82U

Obviously she's sick. Cancer.

I certainly wish her all the best but that clip begs a question....

At what point do you call it a day? The audience has to sing for her. The little she sings she is obviously struggling. if she's doing this one last time and its just about that...fine. If this is more about milking fans....that's another thing.

That guy aint getting any younger either. I'm not even sure he's plugged in...

Damn we're getting old.

I gotta say.....I liked this song in 8th grade but didn't admit it.....

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Wow.  I took a look at her Wikipedia page after seeing this. 

This part sounds brutal:

On 11 September 2002, Fredriksson complained of feeling unwell after jogging with her husband. She collapsed in a bathroom after becoming nauseous, with the impact of the fall fracturing her cranium. She then had an epileptic seizure.[10] Scans later indicated that she had a brain tumor in the back of her head.[11][12] The diagnosis led to the cancellation of Roxette's planned performance at the 2002 Night of the Proms concert series. After waiting several weeks for the fracture and resulting concussion to subside, she underwent successful surgery to remove the tumor. It proved to be malignant, and she endured months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.[13]

In January 2003, King of Sweden Carl Gustaf XVI awarded Roxette the 'Royal Medal with Blue Ribbon' award. Both Gessle and Fredriksson attended the ceremony, which was the first event Fredriksson appeared after her operation, and one of the very few public appearances she made over the next two years. Lasting effects of the tumour include her being permanently blinded in her right eye, as well as being unable to read or write. She was also unable to speak for a considerable period of time.[10] On 21 October 2005, Fredriksson conducted an interview with Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, where she said: "It's been three very difficult years, [but] I'm healthy. I'm not receiving treatment any more."[14] In 2016, Roxette announced that their planned 30th anniversary tour had been cancelled, on the advice of Fredriksson's doctors.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Fredriksson

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Damn. That's even worse than I thought. I thought she was currently dealing with cancer. So this is her permanent state since the injury and operation? Wow. I'm surprised they even did the show posted above. She is no condition to sing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah ashame. They were a good band. Kinda faded away once the alt music scene took off, but they had some gems. Bummer they seemingly can't play live anymore. Them & the Eurythmics would make an awesome tour tandem.

Board footer