You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Michael Jackson "Scream" - September 29th

esoterica wrote:

New album out September 29th

Very strange considering the music in the Twitter video is from "Blood On The Dance Floor" and "Ghosts" from his 1997 album Blood On The Dance Floor: HIStory In The Mix and it's namesake from the first track from 1995's HIStory.

I wonder if this is just a compilation of his "spooky" songs like Thriller, Threatened, Ghosts, et. al.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Sounds likely, tbh.  I think a new release would have had a greater push, and likely more towards the holiday season when people (at least occasionally) buy CD's as an 'impulse buy' near the cash registers of Best Buy, Target etc.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah its a compilation. If a new track was coming, they'd have the clip everywhere pushing it.

I don't think he's going to have a ton of unreleased tracks. Yeah there will be demos from old sessions but we're not going to see brand new albums. They'll unload a few tracks here and there on anniversary editions of his albums and box sets.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Update via Rolling Stone:

"I don't foresee us releasing any more unreleased music for quite some time," Branca said. "That doesn't mean there won't be interesting [new] record releases in the very near future."

Based on the teaser video and Branca's comments, the Scream project could be a Halloween-themed compilation. Recently, the Michael Jackson estate released a 3D version of the pop-star's classic horror-themed "Thriller" video, while in July it announced a new hour-long animated Halloween special, featuring to Jackson's music, that would air this fall on CBS.

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … on-w501190

So there's additional unreleased music but soon is not the word.

This is a compilation to plug the new Halloween special.

I would guess a Dangerous re-release will be forthcoming sometime soon as well.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The bonus track remix released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfokSKZ0QA

Michael Jackson's SCREAM is 13 of his all-time most electrifying and danceable tracks including Ghosts, Torture, Thriller, and Dirty Diana.

Listen to select tracks from the album alongside other of his biggest hits.

SCREAM track list:

1.   This Place Hotel
2.   Thriller
3.   Blood On the Dance Floor
4.   Somebody’s Watching Me
5.   Dirty Diana
6.   Torture
7.   Leave Me Alone
8.   Scream
9.   Dangerous
10. Unbreakable
11. Xscape
12. Threatened
13. Ghosts

Bonus Track:  Blood On the Dance Floor X Dangerous (The White Panda Mash-Up)

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Pretty lame. Surprised people even buy CD's anymore. I'm pretty behind the curve & on school on this evolution, but even I rarely consider buying one. That might sound bad to say, but I just don't. Few artists I care enough about to do so (ie. None). I'll stream it, and hear the appropriate commercial they inject.

Yeah tho, it'll be a cross promotion for & during the CBS show. IMHO sales will be tepid, but what really sells much anymore anyway. Would be curious to a vault of B sides & demos, same for Prince.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

It's not a halfway bad idea.

These are some of the "badass" Michael Jackson songs, most of which wouldn't fit on a Greatest Hits/Best Of.

I think Ghosts and Blood on the Dance Floor are great but no one's gonna buy a remix album from the mid-90s and nobody is going to buy Invincible to listen to Threatened out of reputation.

It'd be like if GN'R released a compilation and snuck Better and IRS on there. Or a softy ballad record and snuck Street of Dreams and Prostitute on there.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

These types of artists/bands with name value(dead or alive) really need to start unloading their vaults while there is still money to be made. The window is closing. They thought it was bad during the downloading era but the streaming era is what's really killing it.

Soundgarden understood. So does Metallica....which is why they're starting to unload some box sets. Springsteen is doing it too. Better to make money off your hardcore fans now before its too late. Enough people still buy music to make these vault releases profitable. Will they sell millions? No....but they're not supposed to. They are priced right and bring in a nice chunk of change on music that was just sitting there rotting in the vault.

Instead of this beer coaster unload a Thriller box set. Price it around 200 bucks and maybe it sells between 50-100k copies.

If these dinosaur acts wait another 5-10 years to start doing this, there will be no money to be made on these projects.

edit: Nice touch including 'Somebody's Watching Me'.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I generally agree but...

The Michael Jackson Ultimate Collection was released while he was still alive which had a considerable amount of material.

Since his death you've had two new LPs, the controversial Michael and then Xscape a couple years prior. Add to that Thriller 25th and Bad 25th. Dangerous 25th will be forthcoming and eventually HIStory 25th.

His estate has been pretty active and this slower trickle of releases keeps him relevant like a "normal" artist. You have to think that the vault is getting a little bare considering the those two LPs were the scraps from other records.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I agree about Metallica did it right, and did it while they could.  Plus, if you think about it, they'll later on capitalize off of streaming it too.

Didn't catch Somebody's Watching Me. Is that just the straight up Rockwell version with MJ on backups?  He never released a recording of his own, did he?

Board footer