You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Duff Interview

misterID wrote:

Courtesy of Loudwire. Most interesting stuff:

Duff McKagan sat down with Chris Jericho for his ‘Talk Is Jericho’ podcast this week to discuss a variety of topics, including frontman Axl Rose trying out for AC/DC, difficult songs to play and learning Chinese Democracy songs upon his return to Guns N’ Roses.

“It’s great,” McKagan says of playing tracks from the album, which neither he nor guitarist Slash were a part of recording. “Axl, he put a lot into that record. I think Slash and I were challenged with a thing, like, ‘How do we make these kinda ours now?’ Cause we’re gonna play these; we’re gonna take ownership of these. And we went in and learned them and started playing them with [drummer] Frank [Ferrer] and then [guitarist] Rich [Fortus]. Let’s tear these songs down and really know them and then build it up from there.”

McKagan says they know “a bunch” of the songs from Chinese Democracy, but it depends on the set list during a particular show which ones will get played.

Jericho asked the bassist what song is hardest for him to play each night, and he says it’s the little parts are the most challenging, like when the bass comes in on “Sweet Child O’ Mine.” He says, “You can’t f–k that up. Everybody there is listening at that point. You gotta be on.”

Talking about the current ‘Not in This Lifetime…’ world tour and how the set is devised each night, McKagan revealed that Rose is constantly cracking jokes that only the other band members can hear.

“We wear in-ears, right?” he begins. “So most of the time [Axl] is telling amazing jokes. He crushes everybody. You know, I fancy myself a humorist, a jokester, but he crushes me.”

Asked about the frontman trying out for the lead spot in AC/DC, McKagan says Rose was nervous about it, but that, “He killed it.”

“It’s AC/DC and Bon [Scott] is his guy,” he reveals. “He left to go try out and [afterwards] he was like, ‘I don’t know…’ Like, dude – you have it. ‘Oh, I don’t know man, I don’t know.’ We knew he had it.’

Read More: Guns N' Roses' Duff McKagan on Performing 'Chinese Democracy' Songs | http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-duff-m … ck=tsmclip

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

We need more of this type of thing...especially from Slash. I realize he's not revealing anything new but a little goes a long way. If they would do these types of interviews on a regular basis, I think hardcore interest might move up a few notches.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

i'm glad folks took the time to listen to this and transcribe the interesting bits.

jericho is one of my all time favorite wrestlers and personalities, but holy fuck is he annoying on his podcast.

*makes the list*

Duff wrote:

“We wear in-ears, right?” he begins. “So most of the time [Axl] is telling amazing jokes. He crushes everybody. You know, I fancy myself a humorist, a jokester, but he crushes me.”

i wish we could get an in-ear recording from another band member that included axl's jokes on them. the guy is legit hilarious; it's a shame we don't really get to see that side of him too often. his drunken post about rhcp miming their way through the super bowl performance still kills me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I like they're taking ownership of CD. Go ahead and re-release the thing with Slash and Duff.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Who else had the Axl cracking jokes story? Bumble probably?

Of course Beavan quoted Axl doing a stand up routine as a warm-up back in the day.

I don't see why they'd re-release CD with Slash and Duff, the songs are virtually the same. *shrugs*

James

James wrote:

I first advocated a CD re-release as a joke but once they started playing CD and Better, realized they should do it. That album faded so damn fast that they could unload better and casual fans would eat it up. It would actually chart this time.

Re-record the best CD songs he's got(even if it includes most of the album tracks) and release that. Axl wouldn't even have to do any work. Just use his vocal takes from 2001.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

They should re-release it but the cover should be plastered with faux tape that says "Not Chinese Democracy" in black sharpie like Bowie did with Heroes/The Next Day.

James

James wrote:

had this happened years ago its not a bad idea.

At this point....anything released will either get the Not In this Lifetime label attached(its the new Hell Freezes Over, why waste it?) or simply Guns N' Roses.

We're long past the point of creative or humorous album titles.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

actually, the album being called "not in this lifetime" is actually pretty cool.

it would complete the band's entire story through album titles.

appetite for desctruction - buncha hungry wild fuckers ready to fuck shit up and play loud ass rock n roll
use your illusion - the band literally used their illusions about life, each other and the band's musical direction to make the albums
chinese democracy - axl trying to do the impossible and crate a record with him as the figurehead and a supposed "democracy" of band members
not in this lifetime - the unthinkable finally happens and the band gets back together to make music

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

Depends on the sound

Stay Of Execution > NITL > Guns N Roses Was

The fact that Catcher was intended as a song on the 3rd album interests me. Always seemed very parting glass.

Board footer