You are not logged in. Please register or login.

auad
 Rep: 3 

Re: The worst recordings

auad wrote:

Let's talk here about the worst GNR recordings ... of the songs that sound bad.
I'll quote Breakdown. Very good music but that sounds horrible.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The world is full of enough negativity. I would rather not.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Live and Let Die. Album version is sterile. Has no feeling...has no balls.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Live and Let Die. Album version is sterile. Has no feeling...has no balls.

I was thinking the other day it BADLY needs the 2002 screams in the middle....imagine that in the studio....

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

gnr definitely have some duds in their catalog, but it's hard to pick out any songs that really sound "bad."

mike clink was a fuckin' wizard when it came to recording these dudes. sure, afd has way too much cowbell, but the guitars and drums blow you away every time you hear them. the production on spaghetti incident salvages the entire recording -- yeah, it's all covers, but the sound is pure gnr magic.

chinese democracy is obviously the elephant in the room. the final version of catcher in the rye is almost unlistenable. the vocals on rhiad have always sucked (but the instrumental version is a monster!). street of dreams went from the most modern sounding new guns song to a bloated, shiny piece of shit covered in glitter. bucket isn't anywhere near loud enough on the madagascar solo.

in classic era guns, i can't really name anything. i still listen to "breakdown" these days and it sounds great, imo.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I have never understood why people don't like the Rhiad vocals....sing it in the shower...it's kinda awesome...really hard to sing that high so much for me...hahah....In seriousness I like that song though - never get why most people hate it.

But yeah GNR is one of those bands where I like every song on every record. Pretty much the only band like that really for me.

Of course there's things i'd improve - like the studio KOHD could be more like the 1992 live version, the LALD screams could be more like 2002, I'd put a 2006 opening "Do you know where the fuck you are" on Jungle....and I'd drop the drum machines from the CD tracks and use only real drums....

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I have never understood why people don't like the Rhiad vocals....sing it in the shower...it's kinda awesome...really hard to sing that high so much for me...hahah....In seriousness I like that song though - never get why most people hate it.

But yeah GNR is one of those bands where I like every song on every record. Pretty much the only band like that really for me.

Of course there's things i'd improve - like the studio KOHD could be more like the 1992 live version, the LALD screams could be more like 2002, I'd put a 2006 opening "Do you know where the fuck you are" on Jungle....and I'd drop the drum machines from the CD tracks and use only real drums....

it is kind of dumb Axl used a drum machine on CD songs when he had two of the best drummers in music in Freese and Brain.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

For what song, I would go with Sorry.  Sorry has amazing music and the chorus is awesome, but the lyrics are so juvinile they pretty much ruin the song.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

It depends of what you mean, but in terms of production it's the CD tracks which stick out like a sore thumb. You can blatantly tell how old some of the songs are and that the process of recording spanned over multiple years - derived from studio to studio.

I have always divided the songs in categories as to how good/bad I believe they are when it comes to this.

Tier 1:

Chinese Democracy
Street of Dreams

Tier 2:

Better
If the World
Madagascar
Riad N' The Bedouins
Shackler's Revenge
Sorry
This I Love
Prostitute

Tier 3:

Catcher in the Rye
There Was a Time

Tier 4:

I.R.S.
Scraped (if only for that dreadful cut and paste job)

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

It depends of what you mean, but in terms of production it's the CD tracks which stick out like a sore thumb. You can blatantly tell how old some of the songs are and that the process of recording spanned over multiple years - derived from studio to studio.

I have always divided the songs in categories as to how good/bad I believe they are when it comes to this.

Tier 1:

Chinese Democracy
Street of Dreams

Tier 2:

Better
If the World
Madagascar
Riad N' The Bedouins
Shackler's Revenge
Sorry
This I Love
Prostitute

Tier 3:

Catcher in the Rye
There Was a Time

Tier 4:

I.R.S.
Scraped (if only for that dreadful cut and paste job)

Did you even listen to the guitar only stem of scraped.  Its even worse hearing where everything was cut and pasted.

Same goes for the vocal only track

Board footer