You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: November 23, 2008: Guns N 'Roses released the album Chinese Democracy

zombux wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

we might get some cool new chinese democracy sweaters at least! axl

actually that's the MOST probable "release" we can get anytime soon! big_smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
zombux wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

next year this time is its 10 year anniversary, so it's our last big chance for the big ol' deluxe edition.

nobody gives a damn about anniversaries (and the ridiculous discussion is going on every single fucking year on all GNR forums, but nothing gets ever out). and even less fucks is given about the remixes, ChiDem leftovers and anything else.
deal with it and stop dreaming.

I hear ya. But then again - there would be something quintessentially GNR about releasing a special edition 10th anniversary Chinese Democracy release with dance remixes while having ignored the 30th Anniversary of Appetite for Destruction the previous year 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I bet there's an interesting parallel universe where the old band did this record and records like 5'O Clock Somewhere all together lol.

It was perfectly possible to do both.

Let`s say, Slash oriented It`s 5'O Clock Somewhere album in 95 with Axl`s lyrics, melodes and arrangements, of course, and then Axl oriented Industrial/Grunge album in 98 or 99.

All they needed was compromise. It would n`t have taken anything from Axl or Slash.

Yeah the way the reunion happened has solidified that to me too.

It's not like they threw out the second keyboardist, binned the CD songs and recorded a fresh album. Every night Slash is busting out TIL, CD, Prostitute, Sorry etc. It makes you realise they could have just done this a couple of decades ago. I would have loved to hear Axl's melodies on 5'Oclock too. The guitar parts are very much old GNR style to me. I think with Axl it would be more like an AFD type album than anything else they did after.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

If old guns released an album in 95 it would have been Skid Row's Subhuman Race. Wrong time.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If old guns released an album in 95 it would have been Skid Row's Subhuman Race. Wrong time.

I dunno I guess the music world had moved onto grunge and so on - then again TSI got a fair amount of interest for a covers record a year earlier.

But I think Snakepit One would have been really interesting as a guns record. The guitars are very aggressive and Slash unapologetically showing off like he did on AFD.  With Axl's lyrics it would give the project quite a dark tone, I could see it ending up like the return to the rock sound of AFD that some people felt was missing a bit with the UYI band. Alternatively you could add in a couple of Axl piano songs like This I love that date from this era and give it a softerside than the pure guitar album slash gave us.

Either way I think the real shame of the feud has been how few GNR records we got.

Much of the 7 Slash album we got could have been repurposed for GNR and would likely be better, meanwhile Axl only managed to get out 1 album of his works outside of the traditional band. Things have worked out very minimally when you consider the talent, the resources available. It's a shame.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hard to believe it's been NINE YEARS ....holy shit. The more distance we get from it, the worse it looks...specifically the Ashba years. IMo there's nothing redeeming about the Ashba years. I'm still amazed that it happened and took up that much time. Axl is way too talented to have spent a huge chunk of his career on that lineup.

CD never had a chance regardless of someones feelings on the album. Its history a roller coaster and the pop culture joke that it became towards the end also played a role in killing it.

Like some have said....its production is just...ugh...not sure what word to use to describe it. Ezrin was right about too many cooks in the kitchen and something was lost in translation....and take into account he was listening to the 2001 album! I don't agree with him regarding only three good songs but he hit the nail on the head regardless.

The cut and paste nature kills the songs. Its more noticeable in some songs than others and a track like Better was dead on arrival at radio. Its not friendly to a casual listener.  I was against it at the time but the idea some fans floated back then about having the band go into the studio and jam out the songs and place Axl's vocals over this isn't such a bad idea.

The song intros weren't needed and in the case of the title track's intro....radio is never going to play that.

The songs fermented too long. Anyone and their grandma who wanted to hear new GNR songs had bootlegs and leaks to listen to for years. The songs were old news by 2008.

There are entire songs buried in the mix of these songs. Its crazy.

The album has good songs. There's no doubt there. What it does lack is a song with potential to be a killer hit single. It has no Cochise, Vertigo or Slither. Nothing to help solidify a comeback.

The label holds much of the blame. By the time 08 rolled around, I think all sides just wanted to wash their hands of it. A shame.

He wanted it out in 2001.....and before he dies I wish he would let his long time fans listen to what was supposed to be the real Chinese Democracy. Whether its a bonus disc, on a box set, etc. I don't care.

I want to hear the title track how it was intended. What we hear on the album isn't what was intended.

FlashFlood wrote:

I don't think we would've got an album in 95 even if it doesn't blow up in their faces. More like 96-97 and instead of Subhuman Race I would compare it to U2's Pop.... an album and tour that is wrong place, wrong time, goes over like a fart in church yet at the same time helps continue to solidify them as one of the world's major bands.

Board footer