You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: Where do Guns N' Roses Go from here?

zombux wrote:
auad wrote:

these guys are rich and lazy.
they're only going to release new material one day when people get tired of going to the same show again, and money stops coming in.
the way we get something new from these guys is not going to the shows anymore.

nah, they already have enough money for ten lives. they're not going to release anything under GNR moniker ever. that's just about the approach. Slash has that Myles Kennedy thing, altough I hate that. Duff has Walking Papers, which is in fact a minor project, Loaded seems to be gone for good, but he's doing many things anyway. Richard and Frank were doing The Dead Daisies, it's a huge shame they had to leave the band, but whatever, I think they're doing something together with Dizzy nowadays. and then there's Axl, who's never releasing anything. at all. and who do you think is the main guy who says yes, just do it?

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:

Call it naivety or pointless optimism, but I still think there's a good chance we see another GN'R album. I know everyone wants to say "it's just a cash grab", but y'know, I don't think you play marathon 3.5 hour shows every time if all you care about is the money. If that was the case, they'd show up, play 1.5 hours, and leave. And Slash certainly wouldn't be playing half of Chinese every show. A few years ago, everybody thought Axl might retire after Vegas. Then this happens. Then AC/DC happens. And he looks revitalized for the first time since 2010.

Now, do I expect it soon? No. But I do think it's a possibility. Even if it's just CDII with Slash & Duff.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

What credible evidence do we have to believe that Angus is willing to regroup AC/DC within few months after having lost two brothers ?

He put out "Back in Black" less than 5 months after Bon Scott died.

He recorded "Rock or Bust" less than a month after going public with Malcom's illness, and launched the world tour months after Malcolm was hospitalised.

Honestly I could see it going either way, obviously from one perspective it's a natural end point, on the other hand, Angus' pattern has always been to carry on in the face of disaster and he might even consider it important to persist as a tribute to Malcom. Who knows.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Again if the songs are good, then who helped create them initially doesn't matter.

Slash, and Duff are already playing CD tracks so I really doubt they have a problem with them or are just doing it because they have some contract.

Now if the songs Axl has which is what two albums worth of material if were led to believe that, then you can at least get a couple albums out of them. Record new ones and the unreleased gems and split them up. Or just re-record the two albums that are "apparently" present.

I assume songs like: The General (whatever it is called now), Thyme, Atlas Shrugged, Silkworms, Leave Me Alone, Oklahoma, Down By The Ocean, Quick Song, Zodiac, Ides of March, Crash Diet (properly record it), Shadow Of You Love (re-record it)...

Axl Rose has material. And if the song is good that is all that matters.

You can easily pick and choose some of those tracks and put them on one or two albums by recording new shit or any other material the vault has.

And to be encouraging. It isn't like Axl Rose is a bad song writer. Maybe hesitant due to the fiasco of Chinese Democracy.

I don't think it is a label issue either, the three of them can have Geffen by the balls.

Anyhow, I have no faith anything new will be released, but, I like being proven wrong so 2018 they'll have an album ha.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

I assume songs like: The General (whatever it is called now), Thyme, Atlas Shrugged, Silkworms, Leave Me Alone, Oklahoma, Down By The Ocean, Quick Song, Zodiac, Ides of March, Crash Diet (properly record it), Shadow Of You Love (re-record it)...

I would love Crash Diet, this music affects me very sonorously.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Axl fronts two of the biggest rock acts in the world and has controlling interest in one.

Angus holds the keys but Axl could volley back and forth between them for at least a decade. Axl's market value will only continue to increase.

The next tour ups the ante with GN'R. They don't have to release a new album but a new album means a bigger tour, more opportunities, and more money for all involved. It depends on what they want to do with the thing.

I think the politics are too strong for any new music to ever be released and am not convinced Axl has the band to do it but hey, surprise me.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I think the politics are too strong for any new music to ever be released and am not convinced Axl has the band to do it but hey, surprise me.

My thinking is if CD could eventually come out despite that not being the "real" band AND most of the performances on it being played by people who were no longer in the "new" band either then it's politically possible for anything to happen.

As for not having the band to make new music - not sure what you mean there - Axl has a remix album in the can, and somewhere between an album or more of writtenand recorded songs from the CD sessions, god knows how many unfinished partial song ideas lying around and probably classic stuff from the late 90s attempts to record too.

On top of that he has Melissa to help with whatever synth direction he might fancy, and, need I mention the ace in the back pocket? Back in the band he has Slash - a prolific monster riff writer and pretty much now THE rock guitarist of his generation - who just happens to out put a new album of riffs every 2 or 3 years and has been dormant for the past few during the reunion.

On top of that he now has hundreds of millions of dollars to self finance any whim that takes his fancy and a reinvigorated public begging for new content.

If new music doesn't come out, it's not because he doesn't have the band and the resources to do it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

I don't think Slash gives a flying fuuuuuuuck about doing an album after this tour. Anything he does now is charity work.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

I don't think Slash gives a flying fuuuuuuuck about doing an album after this tour. Anything he does now is charity work.

Not for the money. Slash keeps himself clean by keeping busy.

He also loves playing.

I think he'll keep making movies and music until health issues stop him.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

They're certainly not wanting for new material. They have (at the very least) Axl's Chinese Democracy II/Stay of Execution, which by all accounts was ready for release as far as Axl was concerned. A quick burst of Slash/Duff/Melissa overdubs and they could release that tomorrow. There's also all the Velvet Revolver stuff that Slash and Duff recorded with Corey Taylor (some of which might have ended up on solo albums), and whatever they've been able to jam on tour. And Slash is a riff factory, so I wouldn't worry about the Conspirators taking all the good stuff.

In terms of side projects, there's Axl/DC (though who knows what's happening with that in the light of Angus' bereavements). There's Walking Papers for Duff, SMKC for Slash (though it's worth noting that Myles also has a solo album queued up) and Dizzy's solo record. All the indications are that they're going to pursue side projects during the first part of '18 – and the fact that they're touring festivals later in the year suggests that this is another leg of the NITL tour, not a new album push (they'd be doing stadiums if that was the case).

Maybe after the festival leg they might reconvene and get some new material (Best Of, live album or even a new record) out in time for the holiday season, but I wouldn't expect anything to drop until '19, realistically.

Board footer