You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Blind item on crazydaysandnights.net

FlashFlood wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

That doesn't sound like Axl.

I thought that at first.

But then he seems to have suffered pretty hard during the CD process being in total control.

Likewise in one of the chats or interviews about CD he mentioned how he became the producer only because of issues with the label.  The impression I got was that it was somewhat reluctantly that he ended up defacto-producing himself.

Additionally in relation to Ac/Dc he spoke that he loved that angus was his boss, he seemed to enjoy the break from total responsibility.

I mean I can't see him handing over the reigns of the whole GNR ship to someone. But I could see given the torturous process the last album was - and given the need for them to co-operate in the future for more tours and the real risk recording might bring up old disputes - that the concept of appointing some type of umpire to deal with disagreement might seem tempting.

You’re absolutely right. Axl needs someone to point the funger at if a reunion album is reviewed poorly.

Spoiler alert: Axl in studio with Slash WILL NOT disappoint.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

the two were last together in studio almost 30 years ago (if I presume that the recording process went normally as a band, which actually didn't happen exactly that way), if I omit TSI sessions and the Outpatience album - in both cases they most probably never met there anyway.
they now milk the nostalgia cow by playing stuff they recorded before 1990.
I wonder what makes anyone so confident about that "these two together can't disappoint in the studio".
oh, yes, from the financial point of view, they sure won't disappoint - they can just record their own turds and will still sell billions.
IF they do.
meh.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it depends on what your expectations are.

Will they release something that like Wyld Stallyns causes the planets to move into alignment and ushers in a new age of peace? Maybe not.

However the worst Axl song to my taste still has things about it I like.

The worst Slash release to my taste still has some pretty cool riffs and stuff.

They may not cure cancer but there's a fair bet that i'll like something about it.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Because if you take a good Slash riff and some Axl lyrics and bodge them together in Audacity you get this:

That's a good song, and it's just the accidental synergy of riffs and lyrics that happen to be in the same key and tempo. Now imagine what they'd do together if they were actually recording from the ground up, with a professional producer.

The thing that's always been missing from each one's solo work is the other. Axl has a great lyrical turn of phrase and passionate vocal delivery. Slash has an ear for a good riff, an immediately recognisable guitar tone and emotive solos. Both of them have been storing up riffs and song ideas for years; we know there's an entire Velvet Revolver album with Corey Taylor sitting in the vault, and at least one finished GN'R album on Axl's hard drive. They've been jamming together over the course of the tour; they have on-stage chemistry. I'm confident that at the very least they can deliver a Black Ice, a late-career album that reminds everyone why they were great. And who knows, they might whip out an Estranged or a There Was A Time.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

zombux wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

the two were last together in studio almost 30 years ago (if I presume that the recording process went normally as a band, which actually didn't happen exactly that way), if I omit TSI sessions and the Outpatience album - in both cases they most probably never met there anyway.
they now milk the nostalgia cow by playing stuff they recorded before 1990.
I wonder what makes anyone so confident about that "these two together can't disappoint in the studio".
oh, yes, from the financial point of view, they sure won't disappoint - they can just record their own turds and will still sell billions.
IF they do.
meh.

Zombux - ‘This tour is nothing but a nostalgia cash grab’

Anyone else - ‘They’re playing 3+ hour shows every night, hardly just going through the motions.’

Zombux - ‘CASH GRAB, if they had any integrity they’d make new music but they don’t’

Anyone else - ‘There’s a rumour here that they’re heading back to the studio and have a contract signed’

Zombux - ‘It’ll be shit anyway’

I’m starting to think your not being entirely objective with this whole reunion thing?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

there's a "rumor here that they're heading back to the studio" since about... 2011 or when that was?
oh I nearly forgot that they keep talking about this in their numerous interviews and press releases during the last couple of years, sorry about that smile

I'll only believe when I have something physical in my hands. I can hardly be more "objective" than this.

elevendayempire

And I'm sure you'll find something to complain about when that happens, too.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

zombux wrote:

there's a "rumor here that they're heading back to the studio" since about... 2011 or when that was?
oh I nearly forgot that they keep talking about this in their numerous interviews and press releases during the last couple of years, sorry about that smile

I'll only believe when I have something physical in my hands. I can hardly be more "objective" than this.

Questioning the legitamacy of the rumour is one thing. I question it myself, I’ve never heard of the site it was posted at before, I’m assuming it’s some sort of music industry insider site but I could be wrong. Doubting the rumour is fair game.

Axl discussed the possibility of doing new music with Slash in the china exchange interview he did btw.

My point wasn’t that you should believe the rumour. It was that you are moving the goal posts in order to maintain your stance that everything is shit. For months your issue has been the tour is nothing but a money grab which is evidenced by the lack of new music or interviews (you even posted that same view in a thread about a Slash interview ironically). When presented with a new album rumour (and that is all it is) that contradicts this you explain why any new album will likely be no good anyway.

I’ve no issue with a ‘believe it when I see it stance’ but your current posts are that of someone who either revels in being gloomy or wants this whole thing to fail. Being objectively miserable doesn’t make you a realist.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I remember this quote from Axl years back:

"In regard to so-called ‘perfectionism,’ I feel that has a lot to do with your goals or requirements with whatever one’s doing or creating… Generally, when this term is used by others in regard to me or how I work, it’s said in a negative way or as an excuse for their shortcomings — and again by my detractors."

I could imagine this plan suits everyone.

For Axl it's an independent umpire who can tell Slash that he has to make an effort to play on the softer ballads and slow numbers. For Slash it's someone to tell Axl that the vocals need to be done inside of 2 years. It's someone objective to say if the riffs are too cock rock or if the ballads are too broadway. It's an independent umpire to sort out any creative tensions, it's someone to inspire the best of you, and it's someone to carry the pressure of a reunion album that isn't in the band.

elevendayempire

A Private Eye wrote:
zombux wrote:

Questioning the legitamacy of the rumour is one thing. I question it myself, I’ve never heard of the site it was posted at before, I’m assuming it’s some sort of music industry insider site but I could be wrong.

It's about as reliable as a gossip site can be:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/1 … -interview
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … s-ago.html

There's also pretty compelling circumstantial evidence that something's afoot in the GN'R camp. Duff isn't around to tour or promote the new Walking Papers album: http://www.loudwire.com/walking-papers- … interview/ ("There’s some opportunities that are starting to drop in for the touring and we’ll take that as it comes. I don’t think Duff’s available. He’s got a cash machine over there that he’s got to tend to").

Myles Kennedy announced a low-key solo tour without Slash last week: http://teamrock.com/news/2018-01-15/myl … lo-uk-tour

Dizzy's touring through January but has a gap in his schedule after that, too: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/hookers- … tour-2018/

It does look an awful lot like their respective solo projects were working on the assumption that there would be a six-month window for recording, tours and promo after the NITL tour went on hiatus... and then suddenly Slash and Duff became unavailable. For some reason.

Board footer