You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 1 - Chinese Democracy

esoterica wrote:

Unskippable intro:
"Go ahead... say something"
"How are we supposed to ______ if you don't say something"

Other Commentary:

• Supposedly The Scorpions influenced Axl to become a singer although I haven't seen that corroborated

• "Physical Graffiti" by Led Zeppelin and "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd were named album influences

• Beck, Trent Reznor, Moby named as Producer influences

• Axl was taken by DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing..." album and Crystal Method's "Vegas" albums in the early days of the project

• Axl was reportedly a Nine Inch Nails fan which would've started with "Pretty Hate Machine". Not too much "Downward Spiral" influences, in my view.

Please add to as you see fit.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

the intro should have been a separate tracks, it fits as a part of the album, but sucks as a part of the song itself.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

the album should have kicked off the same way the song did at first the house of blues show in 2001.

https://youtu.be/G6sJt0phIbQ?t=2m56s

not sure why, but i don't think the intro was ever played with a tone like that ever again. it was so raw, dirty and grungy here... every show after, it lost a bit of its punch.

zombux

zombux wrote:

regarding the song itself, I consider it one of the few ones on the album, that sound finished and done. yeah, we can discuss about the neccessity of replacing Brain's drum tracks with Frank's (frankly I don't care) or adding more layers of BBF fretless guitar (I love those, but I admit I also love the more raw version without them, so 50:50 here). but the song itself kicks major ass and many people I know who don't like GNR absolutely loved it as well!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Brain’s drumming is far superior to what Frank played. Frank dumbed down the drums to a standard beat, while Brain did some awesome kick drum snare stuff in there, which was awesome.

I’m bummed that they ruined the drums on the final album version in that regard.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Yeah, it's such a basic song that needs the style to elevate it.

The removal of Freese/Brain, grunge edge, and Pitman's sirens make it disinteresting.

Bring me Zoot's version or bring me death!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Ideal version for me would be the Brain drums but with BBF's fretless parts. I might have a go at working that up using the Rock Band multitracks and the demo version, probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:

I'm glad there's this topic. I wanted to leave my appreciation for the early versions somewhere. I love the instrumental part, like the House of Blues and the RiR. And I love the early vocals, leaked study version where there's only one layer of voice and Axl looks so serious and sober, like he's teaching something to someone. I love the feeling that passes.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

What is this leaked study version?

zombux

zombux wrote:

probably the 2007 leak

Board footer