You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

esoterica wrote:

The things I remember from this song are the chugga-chugga riffing and sweeps so when I listen to the guitar track, it’s hard not to focus on those elements.

I’m not big on the song but the ~2:40 version from years past has a raw energy to it. Of course the “Wake up, time to play” thing is embarrassing.

This sounds well produced and aye the mix is not that auditory abortion that was Chinese but it also neuters the ferocity of the thing.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Really?

I actually was never big on the song, and understood completely why it was axed from AFD.

Until this 2018 version.

This thing kicks ass, and I actually think is much more ferocious and aggressive than the original demo. Then again, some people just love that whole garage band thing... never been my thing. Garage bands are nobodies without good production. jmho. So yeah, if people love that garage band/cassette tape sound, they might want to check out the Hollywood Rose-version instead.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Agree with Axlin16. This Shit ROCKS!!!

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Don’t buy for a second there are not some additions to Shadow. At any rate, couldn’t care less as it sounds GREAT.

Who’s with me on Izzy being MVP on this bad boy? How his and Slash’s innate chemistry and interplay has been missed.

And this mix? Makes anything off Chinese sound like a turgid mess.

Excited for this now - like some other posters said; have never been one for unofficial bootlegs and the like so a lot of this is going to be pretty much new fresh stuff for me. Exciting time to be a fan of this band again - saw them live last year in Wellington, New Zealand on their NITL tour and it was hands down the best stadium show i’ve witnessed. They are special, no doubt.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Here's my 2c.

Really enjoying Shadow of Your Love.

Liking it overall a lot more than previous versions. I think the tempo is slightly slower than on some of the previous releases of it - and much like "You're Crazy" - I think it improves the song to slow it down. I know early GNR played a lot of speed metal clubs but I don't think the speed sound really suited their style. So I think this version is an improvement.

Recording wise I suspect it's mostly just 1986 stuff heavily cleaned up and filtered with modern digital toys. Although I do take SG's comments about Slash's tone to heart - as the dude has like a PHD in Slash tone - so if he says it sounds closer to modern slash amps I take that onboard. Likewise it's curious - this solo is a lot more crafted than a lot of the Slash solos on the other versions - like if you listen to slash's solo on the LALD single version, the live cuts, or the other versions around - on all of those he does a lot more doublestopping and triads and bends and stuff and yet this is all shreddy...so I can see a strong possibility that maybe the solo was re-done. Then again...I could also see that if slash was going to redo it now - maybe he'd make it even more shreddy - my mind is torn. Could be an either. Cool whatever it is.

As for Axl - it sounds like vintage Axl to me. I don't think that's his modern voice. A few people have said to me that the pronunciation of words is more like Axl did later in the 90s. Which is interesting. I know on the LALD single version of Shadow (the "Wake Up" version) he's doing a lot of those vocal tones there. Check out the cool bit he does on the Wake Up mix around 2.20 when he says "love" drawn out in his slightly evil demonic voice. So I'm torn on that - I think it's vintage Axl but just an unheard vocal take. Not actually as cool as some of the later vocal takes on the same song - but overall the remastering and the slash stuff is better on this version - and the slower speed is better - so it makes this one the best version of the song - but I am nostalgic for a few of the weird pronunciations in the other versions. Still - much easier to understand the vocals on this mix too which is a plus.

As for the box set in general. I think the prices are a bit insane - like 1400 AUD is well beyond insanity even for a sicko like me that posts day in and day out about GNR - but that said - I welcome the band doing stuff for collectors and hardcores. I welcome the release of a special version of this album that so dearly deserves it.  I welcome the band treating their history with respect, I've wanted a collection of this nature for decades now - and I will certainly buy one of the forms of it. Not the most expensive cos I just dont have that kinda coin - but I will be partaking for sure and it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

If i want to critique - well there's things missing from this set that I would have liked and I hope see the light some other time - specifically I would have liked cleaned up versions of some of those other early Axl demos like "Too Much Too Soon", "Cornshucker" and "Crash Diet". Love the sound in Axl's voice on some of those old tracks. I take people's point that Cornshucker is a little childish...but then to me that was part of the fun of GNR - they can write soul tearing heavy stuff like Estranged...but then follow it down with some comedy about Anal....it's part of the character of the band back in those days to me....fun, serious, dangerous, emotional, all at once.

I would also like to see some rare video stuff get pro-releases at some point too. It's weird to me that stuff like the 1980s Ritz shows, let alone the gems from the UYI days such as Paris, Indiana and all those proshot shows do not have offical BD-releases. Letalone the rumours of docos and all the vaulted video said to exist. I would have liked some AFD themed stuff of that to find it's way out. hopefully we get a video set in the future.

So overall, it's not perfect, and it's expensive, but come on - i've bitched that I wanted an AFD remaster for 20 years and I've got it....so yeah I'm giving them the thumbs up overall. Can't wait to hear stuff like Brownstone...

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I wonder if SOYL makes its way on to the live set this summer?

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

my sources say SOYL is the "lost" Mike Clink session, July 1986, without subsequent additions.

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:

I think the vocals are new. You can notice it doesn't have that much rasp, but still has a bit of it as well, just like he sings now. it's a more cleaned up rasp than on the 80's or 90's.

I also think the guitars are re-done by Slash. I think they wanted to keep it simple and not go away too much from the Original track.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I thought I heard Melissa, too.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Really?

I actually was never big on the song, and understood completely why it was axed from AFD.

It is this fast, messy song. The production shouldn’t sound clean.

It’s like Motörhead. I want disproportionately high drum and vocal levels so it feels banging.

Board footer