You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: NFL 2019

James wrote:

While the first Tecmo Bowl game was pretty good, Super Tecmo Bowl is one of the best games ever made on Nintendo.

It gets no love but it started it all. The previous Tecmo, and other football games, were either not realistic, didn't have all the teams, or the graphics sucked.

Super Tecmo Bowl had all the teams and you could play a full season. I think it even had free agents, trades, etc.

You could get fully immersed in it and not come up for air for days.

It had no right to be as good as it was. That system wasn't really capable of making killer sports games.

They somehow pulled it off.

It's only fault was the small amount of plays to choose from....but that's not on them. They were maxing out the system.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think the 92 team was the (bad) one that got them the Drew Bledsoe pick. I don't recall 'how bad' they were in that year, but they were bad I'm sure.

Patriots are such a weird franchise. One of the worst football teams in the league for decades. Like the Browns. Then they get fairly legit in Bledsoe. He gets hurt, and this young QB becomes one of the greatest football players of all time, winning what, 6 SBs & making 9?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm up for Fantasy if you put it together. Im free most nights but obviously there may be some autodrafting from some people due to being short on time.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

It's NFL time and I thought I'd do the Garden section a favor and get some chatter started.

I'm a Bears fan and as weird as things have been lately, I am really looking forward to football. They've had the benefit of seeing the clusterfuck that MLB endured and hopefully will make the necessary adjustments so stupid things like what happened with the St. Louis Cardinals doesn't happen in the NFL.

Just curious...what everyone's team? Who you rooting for this year?

I am a masochist so I love the Chicago Bears.

Foles needs to be the starter.  Snaps/Games that Trubistsky starts will be wasted games.  Also their PK Santos isn't very good.  Otherwise they are wasting a good defense and another year of Khalil Mack's prime.

faldor wrote:

Pats fan here. I was a fan before Brady, so I’m a lifer. I was a fan even before Bledsoe so I saw some terrible teams. It’s been awhile though and I don’t think they’ll be THAT bad. Word from camp is the defense looks great but the offense is still lacking. Will be an odd year for multiple reasons. KC & Baltimore are the teams to beat in the AFC. The NFC is more wide open.

I sent out an email to the fantasy league. Any interest in going for another year? We had a pretty competitive league last year. Time is running short though. Need to pull the trigger soon if we’re going to give it a go. Let me know.

I'm interested in another year in fantasy.

I find it difficult to handicap the AFC East.  I think that Darnold is probably the best qb but Gase may be the worst coach at maximizing offensive talent. I think Josh Allen is overrated and pretty awful.  Guys who can't complete simple passes usually don't last long.  Miami is just waiting for Tua to take over.  Fitzpatrick will probably do his usually yo-yo act.  3-4 games mixed in with 3-4 awful games as well.  Hard to know what to make of Newton in NE.  Is he healthy?  I think NE probably wins it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's any of the other 3 teams.

I'm actually pretty confident since the Titans look like one of the better teams in the AFC. They got rid of Logan Ryan (he couldn't cover past 15 yards) and added a pass catching RB.  I'm pretty sure Tannehill can replicate a performance close to 2019.  People who don't watch the Titans on a regular basis don't know how horrible Mariota really was. He was killing the offense.  The only thing that worries me is the PK situation (they stunk last year and the 2 guys in camp don't inspire confidence) and the edge rushers are still a big question mark and I'd prefer that they sign Jadaeveon Clowney.

True, can't forget about your Titans.  Vrabel pulled all the right strings last year.  They should be good again.  I'd still put them a notch below Baltimore and KC, even though they did take down the Ravens in the playoffs.  Did they show the blueprint on how to beat Lamar?  You can't let the Ravens get ahead, they're just too explosive.  The Chiefs, well you need to be ahead on them by about 50 to feel comfortable, and even then I'm not so sure.

The Dolphins seem to be headed in the right direction but I still think they're at least a few years away.  The Jets are the Jets, so I don't expect them to be much better.  Agreed that Gase seems to do more harm than good.  I think the Bills have the best team, but I'm certainly not sold on Allen either.  Their defense is solid though.  Newton looks healthy and unless something crazy happens, should be the starter.  BUT, he's still adjusting to the offense.  So while the potential is there, it probably won't be pretty early on.

faldor

faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Pats fan here. I was a fan before Brady, so I’m a lifer. I was a fan even before Bledsoe so I saw some terrible teams. It’s been awhile though and I don’t think they’ll be THAT bad. Word from camp is the defense looks great but the offense is still lacking. Will be an odd year for multiple reasons. KC & Baltimore are the teams to beat in the AFC. The NFC is more wide open.

I sent out an email to the fantasy league. Any interest in going for another year? We had a pretty competitive league last year. Time is running short though. Need to pull the trigger soon if we’re going to give it a go. Let me know.

Can you give me an update on just what the hell the Pats will look like without Brady? Are they starting that guy no one's ever heard of before? Why did they sign Cam Newton? How does it feel that Tom left? Which side has the city taken?

I believe the D will be great. They have some damn good DBs. I like how Belichick or the GM likes to build their Defenses from the secondary forward as opposed to putting all your eggs in the front 7 as most teams do.

I definitely would play the FF league...as far as I can tell I'm already in the league so I don't think there's anything that I need to do.

Fans in NE are kind of split.  Some side with Bill and the team and say "screw Tom" for leaving.  Others side with Tom and say "screw Bill" for letting him go.  While I was hopeful they could work something out, in the end it's probably best for both parties.  Tom was frustrated last year and didn't have much to work with on offense.  They weren't able to add anything of great substance in the off season aside from 2 rookie TEs due to their horrendous cap situation.  So if Tom stayed, he'd be working with the same questionable surrounding cast (outside of Edelman and James White).  In Tampa he's got Evans, Godwin, Howard, Gronk, etc.  I think he'll be just fine.  And for NE, it was time to look forward.  It was supposed to be time to hand the reigns over to Stidham in his 2nd year but Cam's price came way down and they just couldn't say no.  Stidham actually looked great early in camp but then got slowed by an injury and hasn't been able to catch back up.  So it looks like it's Cam's job to lose.  It's a tough spot for either guy with the limitations on things due to Covid, no minicamp, preseason games, etc.  Brian Hoyer has actually looked the most comfortable because he has the most experience in the system, but he's there to be a backup, if he makes the team.

faldor

faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I think the 92 team was the (bad) one that got them the Drew Bledsoe pick. I don't recall 'how bad' they were in that year, but they were bad I'm sure.

Patriots are such a weird franchise. One of the worst football teams in the league for decades. Like the Browns. Then they get fairly legit in Bledsoe. He gets hurt, and this young QB becomes one of the greatest football players of all time, winning what, 6 SBs & making 9?

1990 the Pats were 1-15.  They still had Grogan, but he was at the end of the line by then.  Tommy Hodson and Marc Wilson were the other QBs, so yeah.  Awful!  The next season they brought in Hugh Millen, who led them to 6 wins.  He didn't have quite the same luck the next season though and they finished 2-14, which led them to the #1 pick where they had the choice between Bledsoe and Rick Mirer.  I think they made the right pick.  It was a rough 5 year or so stretch, but I don't think they were quite Browns level bad, at least not for duration purposes.  Growing up I remember lots of years going into that final week needing a bunch of things to happen for them to get a wild card.  Bledsoe definitely brought them legitimacy though.  That Mo Lewis hit that knocked him out changed the landscape of the NFL.  Pats had just given him a huge contract and it looked like he was going to be their QB for some time.  Who knows what would have happened if his spleen didn't rupture.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I set the fantasy draft for next Tuesday 9/8 at 9pm EDT.  I added a few bench and IR spots in case Covid makes a mess of things.  Upped PPR to .5 from .25 too.  Everyone from last year should have auto renewed.  So check out the settings and let me know if you have any suggestions, if you'd like.  I read about Buzzsaw having to "take some time off" from here.  He's in the league, so hopefully he gets wind somehow.  I have a feeling there will be quite a few auto drafters, I haven't been on HTGTH to check in with the other half in some time.  We'll manage.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Not my primary league but always have fun...at least for the first few weeks before PaSnow runs roughshod on everyone.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
faldor wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:

Can you give me an update on just what the hell the Pats will look like without Brady? Are they starting that guy no one's ever heard of before? Why did they sign Cam Newton? How does it feel that Tom left? Which side has the city taken?

I believe the D will be great. They have some damn good DBs. I like how Belichick or the GM likes to build their Defenses from the secondary forward as opposed to putting all your eggs in the front 7 as most teams do.

I definitely would play the FF league...as far as I can tell I'm already in the league so I don't think there's anything that I need to do.

Fans in NE are kind of split.  Some side with Bill and the team and say "screw Tom" for leaving.  Others side with Tom and say "screw Bill" for letting him go.  While I was hopeful they could work something out, in the end it's probably best for both parties.  Tom was frustrated last year and didn't have much to work with on offense.  They weren't able to add anything of great substance in the off season aside from 2 rookie TEs due to their horrendous cap situation.  So if Tom stayed, he'd be working with the same questionable surrounding cast (outside of Edelman and James White).  In Tampa he's got Evans, Godwin, Howard, Gronk, etc.  I think he'll be just fine.  And for NE, it was time to look forward.  It was supposed to be time to hand the reigns over to Stidham in his 2nd year but Cam's price came way down and they just couldn't say no.  Stidham actually looked great early in camp but then got slowed by an injury and hasn't been able to catch back up.  So it looks like it's Cam's job to lose.  It's a tough spot for either guy with the limitations on things due to Covid, no minicamp, preseason games, etc.  Brian Hoyer has actually looked the most comfortable because he has the most experience in the system, but he's there to be a backup, if he makes the team.

I’m a diehard pats fan. At the end of the day, Brady is a TB Buccaneer because he changed. Brady became about his brand and legacy and lost his “first guy in, last guy out” edge. Obviously very thankful for the last 20 years, but how much do you think Bill changed?

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Brady's brand is embarrassing snake oil but the guy was in the Super Bowl a minute ago.

Throwing him under the bus already?

Trash.

Board footer