You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: NFL 2019

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Going back decades, it is ALWAYS the same formula with the Bears if/when they climb out of the division cellar.

A young shitty QB

or

An average to mediocre veteran that they're praying can assume the role of game manager ( a la Trent Dilfer)

There will be a minor QB controversy over who gets to steer the sinking ship

An average to elite RB who has to carry the team on his shoulders with an ineffective offensive line

A good kicker who will miss field goals/extra points in the clutch

Average to great defense that must constantly stay on the field and prevent TDs so they can win the game 15-7

Other than my general lack of enthusiasm for the present day NFL, I can't get excited for the Bears regardless of their record or circumstances.

It is a team 15 years overdue for a massive overhaul. Top to bottom.... from the owner/GM down to the janitors.

It's one of the iconic teams with an interesting history yet it all went wrong in the early 90s and other than a season here or there, it's been a nosedive ever since.

I was lucky to be in the minority of fans who had two favorite teams(,Bears and Bills). When the Bears started to collapse as the 90s were kicking off, the Bills dynasty was underway.

The Chicago Bears are not the Bears of yesteryear.  They somehow morphed into a second version of the Detroit Lions.

Love this post!

You are absolutely correct! And it won’t change until ownership changes. That isn’t likely to happen except for one thing. More on that later.

Btw...i think you can trace this all the way back to the death of George Halas.

When the McCaskeys took over...Virginia McCaskey....they filled upper management with accountants over the course of a few years. It was all about replacing expenses with less expenses.

Still that way...

My beautiful wife used to serve the McCaskeys at soldier field during the bears games up in the suites. By and large the family doesn’t give a fuck as long as they have a profit. A lotta talk about trips to Europe for the grandkids and getting into prestigious universities.

Good news...NFL rules dictate that a certain amount of ownership must be restricted to one person...in other words....when Virgina dies...they will be in violation of NFL rules. This could force them to sell...but I’m not hopeful.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just finished watching this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYKgxpImJ8

Superbowl 24

49ers - 55
Broncos - 10

For decades I always wondered what Elway's problem was...as far as choking in his 80s Superbowls (Giants, Redskins, 49ers).

After watching this for the first time in 30 years, I no longer wonder.

Elway is as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He's got that deer in the headlights look in his eyes right off the bat and he never shakes it.

Elway never should've been allowed to call his own plays...at least not in the SB. It's too much pressure and he's singlehandedly sinking the whole team. In his defense, he's the only reason that they're here in the first place.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

I just finished watching this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYKgxpImJ8

Superbowl 24

49ers - 55
Broncos - 10

For decades I always wondered what Elway's problem was...as far as choking in his 80s Superbowls (Giants, Redskins, 49ers).

After watching this for the first time in 30 years, I no longer wonder.

Elway is as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. He's got that deer in the headlights look in his eyes right off the bat and he never shakes it.

Elway never should've been allowed to call his own plays...at least not in the SB. It's too much pressure and he's singlehandedly sinking the whole team. In his defense, he's the only reason that they're here in the first place.

A far cry from the Elway who won back to back in the 90s eh?

I consider Elway first generation of the QB era....and when i began to appreciate that it’s what’s between the ears that matters. It’s why old QBs are still around...your athleticism can decline but if you’ve got it between the ears....you’re golden

James

James wrote:

far cry from the Elway who won back to back in the 90s eh?

It was a different environment and the team had been completely overhauled.

The 80s Elway teams were 99% reliant on him with a handful of decent WRs, an average RB, and a defense that always needed him to fight a shootout.

Marino had a near identical role with the Dolphins.

The 97-99 Broncos simply required him to be a game manager. They had the best RB in the league and the two backup RBs(Gary and Anderson) almost as good. They didn't skip a beat when on the field. They were also stacked at WR.

If Elway goes down in the playoffs,  they probably still win the SB with Brister or Griese.  I have no visions of Testeverde knocking them out of the playoffs.

Elway winning those SBs... especially that last one...was a great story. It was the last SB of those 80s iconic QBs.

James

James wrote:

Anyone watching this Dallas-Philly game?

Holy shit do these teams suck. Amazing that a team from this division will go to the playoffs.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

Holy shit do these teams suck. Amazing that a team from this division will go to the playoffs.

I've been hearing about it all day on the radio.

There is no clear favortie to me...although Tampa seems to be gaining momentum...

I see flaws with everyone. Especially the Bears...my god...did they have a melt down moment at the end of the second quarter and the beginning of the third quarter...it's becoming obvious that there is major tension between Foles and Nagy...which is ironic because I thought Nagy wanted Foles.

Foles recently said that something to the effect of 'I know when a play is called that it won't work before we run it.'

Nagy is allegedly an offensive coach whose offense is currently behind Jacksonville in offensive production. The Bears had the 32nd ranked rushing attack going into last night. Tack on the 28th passing game...and you have an offense that sucks and is getting worse.

James

James wrote:

I briefly made the mistake of believing Foles could plug the hole of the sinking ship.

Only thing they have going for them is the fact it's not a strong division or conference this year.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

There was talk early on Eagles might win division with 6 wins (and the tie).  Seems unlikely now. Ashame for Dallas about Dak, and that was a dirty hit on Dalton. Their coach seems a terrible fit with this team, not sure how he gets fired in his first year, but anythings possible.

Watched the Bears last night, they seemed pretty woeful at times. I don't know their talent, but seemed to lack yards after catch from receivers, just stop, turn, catch, get tackled. Foles is hit & miss and needs the right system, this doesn't seem to be it. Thats an interesting statement. Wonder if Nagy tries putting Trubinsky in, thats a risky call because then if it fails its tough to go back to Foles again.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

There is no clear favortie to me...although Tampa seems to be gaining momentum...

I see flaws with everyone. Especially the Bears...my god...did they have a melt down moment at the end of the second quarter and the beginning of the third quarter...it's becoming obvious that there is major tension between Foles and Nagy...which is ironic because I thought Nagy wanted Foles.

Foles recently said that something to the effect of 'I know when a play is called that it won't work before we run it.'

Nagy is allegedly an offensive coach whose offense is currently behind Jacksonville in offensive production. The Bears had the 32nd ranked rushing attack going into last night. Tack on the 28th passing game...and you have an offense that sucks and is getting worse.

In his defense, he doesn't really have a good qb. I watched some of that game as well.  Foles was not GOOD.  He's one of those guys that you have to scheme around and more or less manufacture points.  I mean you just can't tell him to you know what just drop back and throw it.  There's maybe 10 of those types of QB's in the NFL right now.  So you have to go play action on favorable downs.

But their running game and OL has been shit too.  That's probably more on Pace though.  Being totally honest and impartial, Bears should have a losing record, Lions and Falcons collapsed against them.  I think they make the playoffs only because the schedule is soft.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

In his defense, he doesn't really have a good qb. I watched some of that game as well.  Foles was not GOOD.  He's one of those guys that you have to scheme around and more or less manufacture points.  I mean you just can't tell him to you know what just drop back and throw it.  There's maybe 10 of those types of QB's in the NFL right now.  So you have to go play action on favorable downs.

But their running game and OL has been shit too.  That's probably more on Pace though.  Being totally honest and impartial, Bears should have a losing record, Lions and Falcons collapsed against them.  I think they make the playoffs only because the schedule is soft.

You'd expect an offensive coach to be better than basically dead last. He's behind teams that aren't even trying to win this year. It's a joke.

Chicago just can't get the QB situation figured out...EVER!...it goes from...get that guy outta there and put the back up QB in...to get the original guy back in...to...the receivers just aren't good enough...to...if we just had a good TE....to....god the playcalling is awful...we need a new coach....

We just spin in circles on this...

Board footer