You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

So I went back to CIV5 on my computer. That game has really lasted.

I'm shocked that anyone can possibly enjoy that game. Its so unrealistic. Yeah the graphics are better than IV but that's it. Maybe they did a ton of updates since release and I might like it now. Doubt it.  Nerds whined so much about stacks of doom(which were realistic BTW) that they overhauled it and you get a handful of troops, tanks,etc. to defend your whole country. Or build up and run out of space to move anything. 16 I'll pass.

I wish that city state feature had been on IV.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'm shocked that anyone can possibly enjoy that game. Its so unrealistic. Yeah the graphics are better than IV but that's it. Maybe they did a ton of updates since release and I might like it now. Doubt it.  Nerds whined so much about stacks of doom(which were realistic BTW) that they overhauled it and you get a handful of troops, tanks,etc. to defend your whole country. Or build up and run out of space to move anything. 16 I'll pass.

I played the heck out of both. Especially the fan modded version of IV is great.

Since I don't put much stock in graphics the only real difference between them is the tactical game, and I like what they have done. Stack of doom was a simple matter of being biggest. Just walk up to a city and you win. That's fine for the AI since it is easy to program, but it got tedious I thought. With the new system however there is much more thinking involved, something that is great for multiplayer. You can also defend with relatively few units, something I find realistic and appropriate. You shouldn't be punished for trying to tech up your empire when you face someone who is rushing an army.

The complaints are usually that the system becomes too complicated for the AI, meaning it becomes easy to beat. Well I don't really care. The AI is always easy to beat once you know the game anyway. For me the enjoyment is building a Civ in a historical context. That's why I only played Beyond Earth a few times. Factions were few and weak and the environments boring. Fake technologies and wonders also never quite match real tech and real wonders from history.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The mod "history in the making" was incredible. Some others were great as well. I only cared about the modern era. It was like crack cocaine. I got so immersed in civ IV it was crazy. My goal was to always become the globe's hyper power. The game was very realistic although they needed improvements obviously. One little thing that got on my nerves was how other than navies, the oceans were empty. Should have had cruise ships, oil tankers, and other things to give it a more realistic feel. I hated Gandhi. He was very unpredictable. I liked to turn him into a vassal state early.

As far as stacks of doom go, as long as your cities were well protected and/or you had jets, bombers, or nukes those stacks could shrink fairly fast.

AtariLegend wrote:

PS3 btw was outselling the new X-Box 26-1 in Japan when those bad sales fiqures were posted. World wide PS4 almost certainly won the console war this generation.

Oh and PS3 world wide at the last fiqure was at less than a Mill difference from the 360, but it was selling faster everywhere outside the US. Looks like PS3 will probably have outsold the 360 world wide despite the cynicism years ago.

It's still hysterical fan boys and certain other people tried to label the PS3 a failure, over time it assembled a fantastic library of games. It won the game war and the sales war long term. Wii outsold it though, of course the Wii was hardly a gaming console tongue. Having Mario/Zelda just isn't enough, when there's no other big hitters.

Wii U though looks like a disaster by comparison.

AtariLegend wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I got V the complete version months ago on steam. It'd cost a fortune to buy everything seperate given how many DLC's (not expansions) there are. I really liked it short term, but I hated the end game. I never got the no natural disasters thing? Were you okay with that along with the other Civ players? I thought City states made it too easy as well, especially if you played as Austria.

The only other Civ played was III and not IV. So all this IV love makes me curious.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Wii outsold it though, of course the Wii was hardly a gaming console tongue. Having Mario/Zelda just isn't enough, when there's no other big hitters.

Must admit from the previous generation I would take the Wii over my PS3 (and my long ago traded-in 360). You say Mario and Zelda isn't enough, but for me those titles alone just carry a quality which no other console has been able to match.

I have tons of fun games on my PS3, including the usual suspects like Call of Duty, GTA, etc, but the games I go back to the most are always Mario games. Everything from Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Paper Mario, New Super Mario Bros.... all of them in a seperate genre, and imo far and away the best game which that genre offers.

Hacking my Wii to have every retro game on the NES, SNES, SMS and SMD also helped wink The Wii is the only console in my house which I won't consider parting with. I know I could hack my PS3 to be a retro archive but last I heard they were suing the arse off of anyone who tampered with their hardware sad

johndivney wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I have a ps4...this summer has left me absolutely no time for video games...but I love it...and come fall/winter I'll be back hard core ... anyone into gta v online on ps4? My brother and I are looking for people to do heists with

Yes! Me! I've been badgering people to do heists in the gta thread. I'd long since given up trying.
I've also not played gtao in months. I've just done everything there is to do. Played it to death. But I'd jump back on for a few sessions for a fellow gunner!
I'm like level 340 or something, which'll give you an indication of how much time I spent playing gtao..

Heists were great btw. So much better than destinys raids or similar quests I've played in mmo's. Gta just has a sense of humour those games can't compete with.

Also - super Mario Galaxy 2 is the greatest game ever imo!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I'm like level 340 or something, which'll give you an indication of how much time I spent playing gtao..

I'm 120. That's a lot of missions dude. 18

How many kills? Ratio?

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I have a ps4...this summer has left me absolutely no time for video games...but I love it...and come fall/winter I'll be back hard core ... anyone into gta v online on ps4? My brother and I are looking for people to do heists with

Yes! Me! I've been badgering people to do heists in the gta thread. I'd long since given up trying.
I've also not played gtao in months. I've just done everything there is to do. Played it to death. But I'd jump back on for a few sessions for a fellow gunner!

Heists were great btw. So much better than destinys raids or similar quests I've played in mmo's. Gta just has a sense of humour those games can't compete with.

Also - super Mario Galaxy 2 is the greatest game ever imo!

The heists were cool, but I definitely enjoy Destiny's raids a lot more. Besides the bosses being bullet sponges, the mechanics were usually pretty interesting and way different for a shooter.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I'd hop on GTA to do some heists with some Evo members.

Board footer