You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: The Video Game Console Thread

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I already have a PS4.  I'm thinking about buying an xbox one since the price seems to be coming down mostly to use as a blue ray player, but I could certainly use it for gaming too.  Any pros/cons vs the PS4 that I should be aware of?

If you already have a PS4, then just get an XBONE. I had a PS4 and uprgaded to Pro. The difference in most cases is minimal. XB will give you an UHD Bluray player and there are some really good exclusive games on it too.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Playing Assassins Creed Origins at the moment and it has to be hands down the best designed open world game alongside Zelda Breath of the Wild. The attention to detail is astounding, especially if you are interested in ancient culture, religions, architecture etc. Roaming through the world you are amazed at the temples and monuments, but look closer in the towns and villages and you can see the proccess from beginning to end, right down to villagers baking bricks in the sun. These developers did their research big time. Even how the character shoots his arrow whilst gripping multiple extra for reload in the same hand (a technique not fully understood until the last decade). That is something most movies and even documentaries never show.

A small criticism may be the world is too big, but I like it. Makes it feel more real for me.

9/10

10/10 if you are a history buff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I got origins for xmas...haven't popped it in yet

Sounds like i need to do it tho

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I got AC origins as well. Not played a lot yet but what I’ve seen looks stunning. It’s a great world to explore.

Not really played AC since 3 but the combat system is different, not sure I like it but may just need to get used to it. Also wish they’d drop the present day stuff.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Combat is for sure not as fluid as other Assassins games. Much slower feeling and that also goes for the climbing and running, but I think it is intentional. I believe the developers want you to take your time and savour the details, of which there are many. Slowing it down a touch adds a sense of even more volume to the already vast world. With combat, I will say once you master the timing of the parry system, combat becomes really great.

My advice would be not to rush the game as it can be very overwhelming with all the things to do and see. Pick a region and fully explore it and have fun, then move on to another.

Agreed with the modern day stuff. It just gets in the way and zaps you out of the moment. Thankfully they are few and far between.

Edit: Just want to give special praise to the accurate mapping of some of the tombs and monuments. From many years of researching these structures in my youth, I knew the exact layout of some before I entered and it was a beautiful feeling for what was in my mind to be unveiled in the game.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Ok - I have an xbox one s...there's a game I played as a kid called Utopia that you're supposed to be able to download somehow...anyone have any idea how to do that?  I only use it as a blueray player, though I do have xbox live.

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Ok - I have an xbox one s...there's a game I played as a kid called Utopia that you're supposed to be able to download somehow...anyone have any idea how to do that?  I only use it as a blueray player, though I do have xbox live.

I believe it was downloadable for a small fee as an arcade cabinet in the free front end game "Game Room". I have no idea if it is still available, but I imagine it would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Room#Format

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

You can also play it from a web browser.

https://rtsplayers.com/utopia-download/

IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Been wanting to do this for a few years and decided this is the time. Took about 2 weeks in total. 10,000+ games so far on her.

Friday drinking nights just got a lot more fun.  smile

29511155_1112033338955185_4191150755270361088_n.jpg

29388477_1111455255679660_675616308624097280_n.jpg

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

Been wanting to do this for a few years and decided this is the time. Took about 2 weeks in total. 10,000+ games so far on her.

Friday drinking nights just got a lot more fun.  smile

https://image.ibb.co/c0mTzx/29511155_11 … 1088_n.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/dQQMKx/29388477_11 … 7280_n.jpg

Very nice!  You using a raspberry pi?  I built something very similar a few months ago. It’s a lot of fun.

I really like your led buttons. You using Japanese or American style controls?

Board footer