You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Geraldo's eye on the vault....

James wrote:

Axl in 2006:

"We're working on 32 songs, and 26 are nearly done," he says.
Of those, 13 are slated for the final album.

2008:

Chinese Democracy
Shackler's Revenge
Better
Street of Dreams
If the World
There Was A Time
Catcher in the Rye
Scraped
Riad and the Bedouins
Sorry
IRS
Madagascar
This I Love
Prostitute

The album. 14 songs.

Stinson in 2011:

Stinson says that there's "a bunch" of GNR material written and still waiting to be recorded -- "some of it worthy of finishing, some of it probably not" -- in addition to 22 songs recorded during the "Chinese Democracy" process that were not included on the album

22 songs.

Let's get down to the nitty gritty and  have a look at the original meat and potatoes vault...

A List

PRL- Thyme
Billionaire- The General
Oklahoma- Berlin
Hardschool- "Jackie Chan"
Me & My Elvis- Soul Monster
Circus Maximus- Ides of March

Atlas Shrugged
Quick Song
Perhaps
Zodiac
Silkworms (A list because it's finished)

That's exactly half of the CD material left to work with.

The Rebel
D Tune
Devious Bastard
Curly Shuffle
State of Grace
As It Began
Eye on You
Tonto
Mustache
Prom Violence
Dummy

That's 22.

RealDoll com
Nothing
Dub Suplex
Inside Out
Down By the Ocean
Going Down
Tommy demo 2

Of course there's the final mythical song title 'Seven' although more than likely it's already represented by one of the working titles above.

This is the deepest look into the vault fans have ever had and all these years later it appears to match up with previous comments regarding it's completion.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

So Tommy was saying that after these 22 tracks that we are hearing now, there was material Fortus, DJ, Dizzy, whoever were working on too?

And Fortus also broadened the net to include older Guns material, talking about a Slash riff. Jackie Chan was maybe meant for a movie so that could be a Slash /Duff song.

I wonder how much they re-recorded these CD discs, some have new titles. Billionaire must have a vocal to become The General that Baz claimed to hear.

I’d like to hear the first Shackler demo and how unlike it is to the final version. Going through the full song writing process. Having Fortus or Axl adding parts for example. Re-recording was done under Costanzo which I always found insane.

Now will this current line up re-record some of this material or just some of it?It seems like a huge project to re-do. But I think Slash could pull material lke Hardschool, Atlas and Elvis together.

Atlas Shrugged should be on the next GNR album anyway. I’d say there’s a solid Roses GNR side there. Then let Slash and Duff do Side Guns.

James

James wrote:

Call me crazy but the more I hear from the vault, the less I want Slash and Duff's hands on it. lol

I do realize them putting their touches on it is probably the only way it will ever be released so I'll take it....but holy shit....those early CD lineups really had something special in the tank and I really wish that Axl would've focused more on the harder edge material.

So Tommy was saying that after these 22 tracks that we are hearing now, there was material Fortus, DJ, Dizzy, whoever were working on too?

I don't consider anything that lineup worked on to be Chinese....and more than likely nothing came out of it anyways. Hell, Ron said the 2009-14 lineup did nothing but tour.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:
James wrote:

Call me crazy but the more I hear from the vault, the less I want Slash and Duff's hands on it. lol

I do realize them putting their touches on it is probably the only way it will ever be released so I'll take it....but holy shit....those early CD lineups really had something special in the tank and I really wish that Axl would've focused more on the harder edge material.

I don't consider anything that lineup worked on to be Chinese....and more than likely nothing came out of it anyways. Hell, Ron said the 2009-14 lineup did nothing but tour.

I went from being not so hopeful about us getting new GNR material and thinking at best we'll get one song for the new Terminator soundtrack, to hearing this stuff and being amazed as fuck.  I've always liked Buckethead's music, but the new stuff has me binging on him all over again.  It's great that Slash and Duff are back, but with that comes the tragedy that we're probably not going to hear any Buckethead GNR songs.  Between the new GNR releases and all the solo stuff he released since leaving the band, I'm almost convinced that they should have just had Buckethead come up with a bunch of tracks and then told Axl "Lyrics please!" 

People will rag on how long it took Chinese Democracy to get released, and it definitely shouldn't have taken so long, but with this new stuff we know they weren't just twiddling their thumbs.  The tragedy with that is it took them so long to release songs that easily could have been released years before and they left great stuff on the table at that.  The tragedy with the 2009-2014 lineup is they didn't do anything but play the same damn songs!

James

James wrote:

The vault also vindicates him to a degree, at least concerning how much he had to work with....

Two albums and enough material to scrounge up a third if the moment arises. Sadly that moment never came...for the follow-up or anything afterwards.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Vindicates to a degree but then I look at how many tracks are missing vocals and it leaves you questioning who was putting in the effort (of course vocals may have been added since the leaks).

Agree with you James about not having Slash and Duff re-record - maybe take Hardschool and Oklahoma and leave the rest where it is - for a future ‘nugnr’ reunion :-)

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
wasted2019-2028 wrote:

I’d like to hear the first Shackler demo and how unlike it is to the final version.

Speaking of this .... Rough Mixes #2? I think that window is closing.

But I’m a professional pessimist.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They said they were going radio silent for a while, but would be back.

Pacha
 Rep: 0 

Pacha wrote:

James, you could include Going down to the list

James

James wrote:
Pacha wrote:

James, you could include Going down to the list

How did I forget that?