You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: It's time to admit, Paul Tobias was actually a good writer

James wrote:

It gets even more interesting if Slash and Duff are truly working on CD tracks for the next album. If Huge has credits all over it and Slash is ok with this, then the 95 breakup was beyond pointless.

New GNR fans definitely have to start giving him credit where it's due. A lot of these songs are just him and Finck. There's also nothing wrong with his rhythm tracks, especially now that we can hear them full throttle.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
wasted2019-2028 wrote:

I think he wrote something on Shadow of your Love and Back off Bitch - Twat, Catcher, Prostitute, IRS?

...And Oh My God. Along with probably other tracks on these rough mixes, that were never released (so we don't know the credits).

I forgot about Shadow of Your Love. Yes, he's spread through the bands history in 1 way or the other. Not an ounce of credit.

And strangely Slash questioned his “chops”. I think Tobias was more an enabler of Axl’s songs and direction of the band, more than an untalented player. Not unlike Izzy and Steven. Slash had a pretty strong hard rock sound on Spag Inc. You had to be pretty tough to tour and be in GNR.

Which brings you to Fortus, how he can satisfy Slash’s hard rock and potentially play anything Axl wants.

I’d guess Atlas and Perhaps have Tobias credits. For the most part Axl’s vocals are on Tobias or Pitman sounding stuff.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
wasted wrote:

For the most part Axl’s vocals are on Tobias or Pitman sounding stuff.

Good observation.

One reason for this is Bucket has not been in the band very long at this point in the timeline.

Whether a sketch like Prom Violence/Shackler's or a basically finished track like Sorry/ Devious Bastard, Axl is nowhere near it.

Bucket also hasn't touched the '2000 Intentions' tracks yet either...or the soon to be A listed 3 Dollar Pyramid.

These specific sessions appear to capture a very critical period of the saga....the pre-Bucket 2000 Intentions album in the can yet moving forward with an evolving lineup's assorted material to start cooking up another album.

His brief positivity in early 2001 makes sense in this light.

Cerulean wind
 Rep: -6 

Sorry.... I must admit it.

But the only great contribution from Bucket "That I really like" is the TWAT solo. Anything else.

The late 99 band were the greatest.

________

I guess Stephanie Seymour’s sister was dating an arms dealer named Rhiad and Axl didn’t really dig this dude so he told me He wrote that tune about him. Said Bucketheads white guitar is a hollow body les Paul that was built by a master luthier who suicided right after he gave the guitar to Buckethead - told me Izzy would rather be lazy and make $40,000 then Work his ass off and make millions - said Slash quietly OD’d four times in 2002 - just a bunch of inside info that somehow I became privy to

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I'm happy to give Paul his due.

I was shocked to see so much "Tobias" in the liner notes in 2008.

That said, the album lacks hooks, solos, and dynamics and when it finally got it's precious few, they weren't from Paul.

He should've been a silent partner in the Chinese project but that's about it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Not really in the riff department

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

An interview with Paul Huge is well overdue. The guy must have a treasure chest of pertinent information

After being maligned by fans for so many years and then getting a clutch of songwriting credits for Chinese, it will be fascinating  to see if Slash plays ball on any Huge/Uncle Axl raveups

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
James wrote:

It gets even more interesting if Slash and Duff are truly working on CD tracks for the next album. If Huge has credits all over it and Slash is ok with this, then the 95 breakup was beyond pointless.

New GNR fans definitely have to start giving him credit where it's due. A lot of these songs are just him and Finck. There's also nothing wrong with his rhythm tracks, especially now that we can hear them full throttle.

Didn’t Huge write Shadow of your Love? The comeback single.

It wasn’t writing wise, it was playing with him or something. The solution was to let Axl write with Paul and let Gilby record and tour. To break up the band over the rhythm guitarist was lame.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl and Slash didn’t see eye to eye on the direction of the band. The rest is sideshow bullshit drama.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
wasted wrote:
James wrote:

Didn’t Huge write Shadow of your Love? The comeback single.

It wasn’t writing wise, it was playing with him or something. The solution was to let Axl write with Paul and let Gilby record and tour. To break up the band over the rhythm guitarist was lame.

This might have been viable with Izzy and hopefully is still an idea being entertained.

But for Paul Huge to waltz in and assume that spot - I can see how that irked Slash et al... him being a charisma-vacuum wouldn’t have endeared him any either

While he may not quite be Paul “Yoko” Huge, he was still a power play pawn for Axl.

At any rate, Fortus is the perfect second fiddle to Slash in this current lineup.
Can play all eras including the technical Chinese era and seems largely ego-less to boot. And to the casual fan, he fits the bill like a glove in terms of looking like what the public consciousness thinks a member of GnR should look like

Board footer