You are not logged in. Please register or login.

atlashrugs
 Rep: -6 

Re: state of grace and perhaps

atlashrugs wrote:

were they slated for a 2000 or 2008 release? they would've been perfect choices for chinese democracy.

AtariLegend wrote:

They were both ready by 2000, but we didn't know either title.

State of Grace as as we know was never mentioned by any publication or on any strongly rumoured track listing for the 1st or 2nd album.

As far as Perhaps goes, we knew there was a 3rd Brian May track, but not the name. We're unsure if it was ever played for any of the publications that heard tracks. Beltrami never mentioned adding to it, although not everything needs an orschestra. I think the fact it's another May track, that they probably redid like Catcher might not have helped it's chances.

Eitherway we don't know. State of Grace imo is too strong as just a throwaway B Side and Perhaps is as strong as anything in the sessions. Both tracks were obviously left in limbo when the 2nd/3rd album idea was abbadonned. In retrospect, Chinese Democracy should have just had 2 discs i.e The Fragile.

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree. 2 discs-24 songs-12 tracks each disc. Once Best Buy bailed everyone out, they could have rewarded the fans for their patience with more music and rewarded Axl by allowing him to release his full artistic vision. axl

Vincevega06
 Rep: 0 

Vincevega06 wrote:

I know I’m in the minority probably, I liked Nu GnR more than classic line up, speaking purely as a child of the 90s I was captivated by the 2000-2001 stage show, I loved Robin + Buckethead , I actually became obsessed with BH. So all these new tracks are extra special to me. I love SOG!

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Agree. 2 discs-24 songs-12 tracks each disc. Once Best Buy bailed everyone out, they could have rewarded the fans for their patience with more music and rewarded Axl by allowing him to release his full artistic vision. axl

I think there's some credence to the comment someone said the other day about GNR only having one more record in their contract, and Axl trying to get out of it so he can start releasing things the way he wants

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
atlashrugs wrote:

were they slated for a 2000 or 2008 release? they would've been perfect choices for chinese democracy.

I think disc 1 is the album we would've gotten had the album become reality in 2000. It has every song mentioned at the time with the surprise being Perhaps, although not that big of a surprise since we knew at the time May worked on the album.

It appears to have slipped through the cracks during the next eight years as it was never mentioned by anyone, and the next ten years until present day the only time CD II gets a mention, it's always the same handful of songs.

State of Grace IMO got tossed into the same pile as Silkworms. They were obvious rip-offs of late 90s bands(Prodigy, NIN) and even if considered for release early on got rejected later on.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
strat0 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I think there's some credence to the comment someone said the other day about GNR only having one more record in their contract, and Axl trying to get out of it so he can start releasing things the way he wants

Might be why rec comp had no interest in releasing more CD era albums, they want the last album to be the Slash and Axl reunion album. But really how much money is in cd sales these days? Surely they don’t care that much. But there has been hints Axl is cautious over what is a GNR album. CD still had that big Queen element like AFD and UYI had, some of the Bucket leaks are more niche, maybe even the Brain and Bucket Zepp jams would still need to be put through the process. Basically on a 7 track side Axl will probably be very prominent on 3 - ITW, Twat, Catcher - Atlas, Perhaps, Soul Monster but then 3 will be more co-written, a Slash song, a Duff song. Basically Chi dem, Shacklers and Better are the songs where Slash and Duff will contribute. This is a black n white take and there probably will be cross over like on CD. But song writing wise there will still be these Axl songs, that no other artists really do. Slash will still want his pure hard rock out moments and Duff might enjoy his punk moments, hopefully Izzy is utilized to off set the seriousness and add depth and variety and make it fully GNR.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
James wrote:
atlashrugs wrote:

I think disc 1 is the album we would've gotten had the album become reality in 2000. It has every song mentioned at the time with the surprise being Perhaps, although not that big of a surprise since we knew at the time May worked on the album.

It appears to have slipped through the cracks during the next eight years as it was never mentioned by anyone, and the next ten years until present day the only time CD II gets a mention, it's always the same handful of songs.

State of Grace IMO got tossed into the same pile as Silkworms. They were obvious rip-offs of late 90s bands(Prodigy, NIN) and even if considered for release early on got rejected later on.

I think it’s more a case of one of each. We got one May track, one or two Bucket tracks, a Finch track, one experiment (ITW, State of Grace) etc. It’s Axl collabing with various members.

Axl’s quote about CD II being a bit “nastier, meaner” in parts makes sense now, each leak is a little heavier or less accessible that what we got on CD.

Hardschool is harder than CD
Quick Song or DB are harder than Shacklers
State is less poppier than ITW
Atlas is more difficult than SOD
Perhaps heavier than Catcher

I could see how Slash and Duff are going to take to these CD II songs more than the CD songs. State has more of pop rock Bowie thing they did on VR, while ITW is almost a rap song. Slash would probably be more comfortable on Quick song and Soul Monster than Prostitute.

James

James wrote:

Yeah hearing those instrumentals definitely showed he was on the money with his CD II comments.

Atlas Shrugged
Hardschool
Perhaps
Quick Song
Oklahoma
D Tune

They could definitely do something with those and the final result might be as good(God willing) as the originals.

They shouldn't dive too deep into the Bucket material. Just scrap it.

If they have no desire to create fresh material,  they have ancient vault tracks like Ain't Going Down, Nightcrawler, Crash Diet, Bring It Back Home, etc.

It doesn't take much to add up to an album.

I want a King Animal (Soundgarden) but we're probably going to get A Different Kind of Truth(Van Halen).

Fuck....worst case scenario (and a possibility) is whipping up something ala Hell Freezes Over where it's two new songs tacked on to a concert.

But really how much money is in cd sales these days?

If your name isn't Adele or Taylor Swift, not much.

Music is disposable now. It's background music. It barely makes a dent in pop culture.

People just stream songs on Spotify on their phone and when they're sick of it five minutes later, it's never played again.

Bands that release albums only do it as a promotional tool for a tour.

We'll be lucky to get an album and if we do, it's probably the last and I hope it's not something just slapped together Willy nilly.

James

James wrote:

If reworking old tracks is the plan, I'd love to see this song tackled. An incredible song but didn't get enough attention at the time....last track to ever feature Axl and Slash...

Board footer